How did you get into computer technology?

EnhancedGamerChris

Linus recently hit 1,000,000 subscribers on YouTube, he's come a long way. But where did he (and you) start off?

I personally started working on computers for fun. It quickly turned into a business, offering my friends and family computer repairs for very, very cheap prices because the mainstream repair companies often rip you off and lie to you. I stumbled into LinusTechTips while looking for computer parts and so I'm very grateful for originally working on computers, otherwise I wouldn't be here now.

So, how did you start and how did you find LinusTechTips?

I wanted to play Bf3 on PC. I got into it around may 2011, been interested everyday since then. Almost every day since then I've atleast done/read one thing about technology. I found LTT when I was looking for a new PC to build and I was still rather new about the whole industry.

I've learnt a lot, over the years. I sorta want to become an Inventor and just make peoples life easier. I pretty much am 24/7 tech support for pretty much anyone of my friends/family. I'm better at the hardware level but not so good at the software.

I've just always been interested with the size and function of everything in computing.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'd have to guess 1998, when my dad bought us a home PC after 5 years of having an office PC running DOS. I first started out by going into hes office while he wasn't there and remembering the command to start snake game. Hours and hours of fun! :D After that I went with windows 98 and so on. The biggest surprise was when he got back from a trip to Germany and Need For Speed III was released, at the end of 1998, he bought us a copy of the game in Germany and it was bundled with a steering wheel. Oh man, the joy of gaming on a PC. Two years after that I burned thru a 300e hard drive (at that time it was a different currency), ended up repairing it myself and so I got into building Pc's soon after that. :)

My old man took me to a Computer Convention/Fair in Porth Elizabeth when I was around 10 in South Africa.

I was simply taken aback by everything i saw, you could do so much, it was the future!

We went around all over, as he spoke to people about new parts. The Creative Sound Blaster and 3D Blaster.

He ended up buying those, and it came in a massive cardboard box with plastic handles. Easily the chase of a computer chassis shipping box.

Mechwarrior 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and other games. Along with a pentium 3. Everything changed for me then. I needed to know how these work, what they do, how they do it, and what else I could do with them.

I built my first system when I was twelve. An Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 system. It's actually still here, and it still works. :D

Since then I've been enamoured with technology. Often to own financial detriment sometimes. In college I spent over €3000 on a custom MurderMod AMD Phenom II Black, system with custom water cooling, machines, and powder coated parts, and kept upgrading.

Often buying water blocks and parts, only to quickly change my mind and order different ones.

I'm still a bit a of a tech hoe, but I resign myself to only buying a few now, instead of going over the top( says the man with a new Mac Pro ). 
I just can't stand using the same system for very long, there's always something new and awesome to tinker with.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I originally got into computers back when I was about nine or ten, when I got my first desktop computer. It was a slow, ugly, cream-colored thing, but I still remember playing my underwater and dinosaur adventure games, and I just thought it was so cool to be able to do that! Ever since then, I have had a passion for computers, and I am actually in college for Computer Software Engineering, because in high school I became interested in Operating Systems, and how computers and cell phone actually operated. 

I guess I got into PC building initially but not personally back in eighth grade, when my brother's friend, who we have known forever, built me my first computer. This is actually the computer that I still have, and I have just slowly added on to and improved it over the years. Linus and his YouTube channel was what seriously got me into custom PC building as a hobby.

I love computers, and I always will! It's always improving, which always keeps me learning. 

I was always a console kid and I still have some love for that platform, especially with Halo. But I wanted to play games like BF3 on the PC to get the most out of the game. When I used to watch nothing but BF3 gameplay, I remember one person switching from low to ultra settings and I couldn't believe, even with YouTube's compression, that what he was playing on before was low. So, I built my last rig. Which was an old AMD system with a Radeon 6870. Then for BF4's release, I built the system I have now. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

When I was 13, I found the wonderful hat simulator, Team Fortress 2. At the time, I had a really crappy laptop, like it couldn't even run TF2 at anything more than 50FPS. Well, I decided to go online and see how to fix that, and most of the suggestions were to build a PC. So, for nearly four years, I had been waiting for enough money to build a PC. When I finally built it, I figured out the wonderful world of enthusiast builds, and I've just picked up on everything since.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I always played on console, until I wanted to play the Tony Hawk games again, even though I had sold my PS2. So I tried them on PC. I realised things. I found LTT. For a few months I was arguing with myself if I should stay with consoles or go to PC. I finally came to my senses and went to PC.

Games. In the beginning it was easier to get into, I wanted to play certain games, you had a craptastic CPU, GPU and low memory, game needed one of the above to be upgraded, so I had to look up what I needed and upgrade it.
From there I kept learning more and more and now I'm here.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro