SSD Upgrade - Crucial m4

Lorunification
Go to solution Solved by hojnikb,

Just stick with your curret SSD, if space is not the issue. You're not gonna notice the difference, if you upgrade to a different SATA drive.

So either upgrade, when you need more capacity or when sata-express becomes mainstream.

Hello everyone,

i am currently thinking about upgrading my system ssd which is currently a Crucial M4 128G.

Since the storage is still enough for me i am interested in the performance difference compared to current SSDs like the MX100 for example.

I already read about different write speeds etc and obviously the MX100 has better specs.

But will there be a noticable difference in everyday use?

Regards,

Lorunification

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Write speeds aren't great on the MX100, why not consider an 840 EVO?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I actually don't really care about which current SSD it is going to be. I just looked into crucial since i was (and still am) very happy with my M4.

I just wanted to know if there are any noticable benefits from upgrading my old one. As already said the specs are obviously better.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Just stick with your curret SSD, if space is not the issue. You're not gonna notice the difference, if you upgrade to a different SATA drive.

So either upgrade, when you need more capacity or when sata-express becomes mainstream.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Write speeds aren't great on the MX100, why not consider an 840 EVO?

Write speeds on EVO are even worse and as it happens, its a flawed drive. Reading cold data gets really really slow after some time

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive/90

i was (and still am) very happy with my M4.

If that's the case then there's no need to upgrade.

Write speeds on EVO are even worse and as it happens, its a flawed drive. Reading cold data gets really really slow after some time

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive/90

I haven't heard of or encountered that problem before.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

If that's the case then there's no need to upgrade.

I haven't heard of or encountered that problem before.

Well, many didn't, until they tested their cold data (data older than 6 months or so).