Do you think AMD will make a big comeback any time soon

I want to have children with an AMD processor because I love AMD so much but lately they suck, do you think they'll make something even comparable to Intel in terms of just performance? We all know AMD rules in terms of price/performance but that's not all that matters.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

They don't seem to care about the "enthusiast" side as much as the APU side, so I doubt it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I suspect that yes, eventually they will comeback and we will relive the good ol days of AMD once again. In my opinion whats killing them now is the "not true x-number of cores" modules they're using. Yes they're great and cheap and work pretty well, but they dont stack up against cpus with the actual number of cores. That being said, #amdfanboy. Always stick with AMD.

:ph34r:

I am whatever I am. 

They don't seem to care about the "enthusiast" side as much as the APU side, so I doubt it

I was reading about the new AMD FX-7600P and it seems like a really excellent APU for laptops, I hope they start making powerful APUs for desktops

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I want to have children with an AMD processor because I love AMD so much 

WTF did I just read? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Intel allegedly has a 2-3 year lead in research so if that is true, AMD will not be coming back in force imo.

They still have a good line up though.

Compatible with Windows 95

WTF did I just read? 

I want to also make love to a GTX 770 and a 5930K

WTF did I just read? 

Problem?

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

We don't know, however we can speculate. I don't think they're going to turn to the very high-end market, I see them focusing more on the APU side and middle range CPU's for people on a budget. In the GPU side of things I have no idea, I think they don't really need a comeback, they never went away.

i'm a potato

In short:

LOLNO

Just some slow apu's for office that's what they have. Bummer, 200 watts tdp. I don't own a nuclear plant to serve their "future delevopment"

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

if the rumors about K12 are true, then yes.

HOWEVER.

it is unlikely that AMD will take over within this decade.

AMD is supposedly planning something big.... 

source: This past weeks Tech talk between JayzTwoCents and some AMD rep. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I was reading about the new AMD FX-7600P and it seems like a really excellent APU for laptops, I hope they start making powerful APUs for desktops

The thing is, even if they make an ultra super powerful APU, a CPU and GPU will almost always outperform it. Yes you'll have to spend a bit more, but still.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If they dont someone needs to, no competition to intel is bad for everyone.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Yes.

Tianhe-2 has 32,000 Intel Xeon E5-2692 12C and 48,000 Xeon Phi 31S1P

a server based on HSA could have 

32,000 apu's, 384000 Computer units. 128,000 cpu cores and 256000 and 16,384,000 stream processors. while consuming ~3.04 Megawatts compared to the tianhe-2 comsumes 17.6mW

last time I checked that looks like a comeback in the server pool to me.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The thing is, even if they make an ultra super powerful APU, a CPU and GPU will almost always outperform it. Yes you'll have to spend a bit more, but still.

That's not always the point of an APU though, sometimes it's much more convinient to have an APU

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Intel allegedly has a 2-3 year lead in research so if that is true, AMD will not be coming back in force imo.

They still have a good line up though.

This. They have been out of the game too long and would need to invest a buttload on catch-up. 

I would love to see them pull some magic rabbit out of the hat though. Either that or some new player joins the race. 

As others have mentioned, Intel doesn't bother with pushing the envelope if they don't have competition.

Potato

Pretty much. You can't get all the power of a full size GPU/CPU onto one chip without cutting corners.. literally. 

I am whatever I am. 

This. They have been out of the game too long and would need to invest a buttload on catch-up. 

I would love to see them pull some magic rabbit out of the hat though. Either that or some new player joins the race. 

As others have mentioned, Intel doesn't bother with pushing the envelope if they don't have competition.

I don't really know how a new competitor to the market would actually introduce themselves. I mean, unless the die makers for AMD/NVIDIA/Intel come out like "heeeeey guys... new 18core cpu with 36 threads at 4.0ghz, 80w TDP". Then they would be win. 

I am whatever I am. 

Let's throw some ridiculous idea's out there and see if anyone gets employed by AMD. Here goes: Multi-apu chipset that allows apu crossfire. Slap as many apus as you want.. .that fits on the mobo..

Edit: quoting below to avoid double-posting.

I don't really know how a new competitor to the market would actually introduce themselves. I mean, unless the die makers for AMD/NVIDIA/Intel come out like "heeeeey guys... new 18core cpu with 36 threads at 4.0ghz, 80w TDP". Then they would be win. 

That's what's interesting isn't it? The possibility of more than two competitors in the entire market. Though it's less likely to happen than AMD actually turning this around and catching up, it would certainly be the most interesting.

"Hai guize, we has  working graphene cpus" = Instant win in my book.

Edited by jollander

Potato

I really want AMD to be able to compete on the level of Intel again.  A successful comeback would take years of challenges, though.  It would be terrible if they were bought out by Intel.  No matter how much you are a fanboy of Intel, there is no arguing that if they have no competition, their products are going to suck and will be outrageously overpriced.  

IMO AMD is doing better in the GPU market than NVIDIA, so at least they have that going for them.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

I really want AMD to be able to compete on the level of Intel again.  A successful comeback would take years of challenges, though.  It would be terrible if they were bought out by Intel.  No matter how much you are a fanboy of Intel, there is no arguing that if they have no competition, their products are going to suck and will be outrageously overpriced.

Competing companies helps the economy!

How about Nvidia starts making high end CPU's to pair with their GPU's

I can hear the fanboys having a giant collective orgasm just at the thought of it

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

2016 tho... but I don't think it'll be outstanding... give them more time (if IBM doesn't plan anything :ph34r: )

by 2016+ Intel will have completely embarrassed AMD if they don't step it up soon!