Ubuntu and windows 7 sharing folders: access denied...

I'm so fustrated! sorry.

I have a irritating problem. I have a little server with a raid-1 and some stuff, very basic. And running ubuntu.

Now, i want to access the raid-1 from windows 7, but it keeps saying access denied contact your manager blabla that non-sense.

But i don't know why it does that, it doesn't ask a login or anything.

I can see the shared folders in windows so something works, but i can't access them.

I just want to connect it locally, it's just in my home so i have rights over anything. 

About network things, i have a switch and a modem, that's all. pc's use internally NIC's nothing special.

Can any1 explain why it doesn't want to give me access and how i can fix it? I'm trying now for hours but it's all old crap that i don't understand or doesn't look like what i have. (ubuntu is version 14.4 btw)

edit: weird thing discovered, when i want to access the shared map over the network on the ubuntu pc (where the shared map is on) it says access denied: can't access windows map. but it's a map on the ubuntu pc! i really don't understand how this works... (i'm fustrated sry =/ )

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you're using samba, make sure the directory you're sharing has the correct permissions for your samba user and set the "browsable" flag in the config to true. It should give you a login prompt, login using your ubuntu username and password if you added your user to the valid users file.

If you're using samba, make sure the directory you're sharing has the correct permissions for your samba user and set the "browsable" flag in the config to true. It should give you a login prompt, login using your ubuntu username and password if you added your user to the valid users file.

I don't have a samba user afaik... I'm complely new to this.

Are you using Samba? You need to add yourself to "valid users" in /etc/smb.conf and smbpasswd. Screenshots would help.

I'm using samba, i have found the file, but i can't find where i need to add myself as valid user.

How can i make screenshots in ubuntu.

I have changed in the smb.conf everything with browsable to yes

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Using Filezilla over SSH is probably the easiest and most secure way to transfer files.

Can give it a try, but tbh it doesn't have to be secure or anything, it's just to store backups on once a week, for the rest the ubuntu pc won't be used. I will try filezilla now.

edit: don't understand how it works, it's really confusing and the configurationwizard keeps failing. Whatever i try the configuration is wrong...

Also discovered i can't change anything in the smb.conf file, it keeps saying i don't have permission but i'm logged in as admin and there's only 1 account (the one i'm logged in) I can't get anything working, is there something weird blocking it or something?

nvm problem solved, threw ubuntu out of the door. Going to stick with windows sadly enough until i can figure it out.