HooToo USB 3.0 Hub and Card Reader

This device isn’t really exciting to most.  A card reader is great and all, but it isn’t exactly a 4 way Titan Black video.  That’s okay though, because this little device makes my life so much easier.  Before, when uploading footage, I would either have to do it through my laptop or through my camera (T3i) both of which were capped at USB 2.0 speeds and required cumbersome work to actually get working.  (Had to reinstall my camera drivers every time I plugged it in) So, for 25 bucks what did I get?

This USB 3.0 Hub and Card Reader comes in at 25 bucks and offers a lot for it. 3 USB 3.0 ports and a USB 3.0 Card Reader that has a SD Card slot, Micro-SD card slot, CF slot, and MS slot.  All of this is housed in a plastic shell which makes it feel fairly cheap, but at 25 bucks it is cheap. It also has very little weight to it so that can be a pro or a con.  I’d prefer it have a little more weight so it doesn’t slide around on my desk, but this can be solved with a little hot glue or a strip of velcro.

This device unlike a lot of USB 3.0 Hubs/Card Reader is actually a USB 3.0 Card Reader and my tests prove it. USB 2.0 is limited to 55MBps (440Mbps) and this device pushes past that proving that is is indeed a USB 3.0 Card Reader.  I wish I had more SD cards and a USB 3.0 Drive to have a wider gap between the USB 2.0 spec and my results, but at least the testing does prove it is a 3.0 Card Reader.

Now, it is a 25 dollar device so they did cut corners, like I said the casing of it feels cheap and it doesn’t properly cover the sides of the USB 3.0 ports.  The plugs also aren’t deep enough/cords connections short enough so they stick out.  Overall this doesn’t detract from the performance of the device though, which really is what matters.

Overall, I can definitely recommend this device if you really want a USB 3.0 Card Reader. It’s cheap and it works.  That’s really all there is to it.

You can see all of my reviews posted in the Member Reviews Section! 

Awesome review :D

very informative 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Thank you! I'm still trying to decide how I want to go about supplying information. There's a lot more in depth stuff I could have talked about like the chipsets this uses, more benchmarks etc, but I don't know how many people would actually appreciate information like that.

Sent the HooToo team and email with my review and this was their response. Talk about top notch support. HooToo customer for lyfe.

Posted Image

Amazing, I love good customer support!

It has been as of late my main reason for buying products. 

I don't need an USB 3.0 hub or card reader.. I bought one for like $3 from China and this one works just fine for me. I don't use it often either so.. yeah! 

But I will keep it in mind in-case somebody does need a product like this. 

Great review overall, well done! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Amazing, I love good customer support!

It has been as of late my main reason for buying products. 

I don't need an USB 3.0 hub or card reader.. I bought one for like $3 from China and this one works just fine for me. I don't use it often either so.. yeah! 

But I will keep it in mind in-case somebody does need a product like this. 

Great review overall, well done! 

Thank you for the kind words!