Nvidia slams AMD FreeSync: "We can't comment on pricing of products that don't exist"

Faa

There you go, spreading misinformation yet again.

No Adaptive Sync is nowhere near "literally ported from eDP". Not even close. AS is based on Variable VBlanks invented for powersaving on eDP. The plug and play min max interval handshake and the variable framerate is not supported in eDP, which is why the laptops in your example below, cannot run variable framerates (which wasn't even the point in that particular demo):

Adaptive-Sync is a proven and widely adopted technology. The technology has been a standard component of VESA’s embedded DisplayPort (eDP™) specification since its initial rollout in 2009.  Newly introduced to the DisplayPort 1.2a specification for external displays, this technology is now formally known as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

That was from Vesa.

Now that you've gotten your answer again; eDP AS = DP AS and you have your static refresh rate that was proven by Anandtech & that german source. If dynamic refresh rate was working, AMD wouldn't have been hiding it during their presentation.

If you'd read it, it was literally ported from eDP to DP1.2a. Haven't you seen my post in #40 where I showed a video with the laptop (not working) and the Computex demo (desk monitor) where theyve hidden FPS on purpose and that source found it out? Besides there's a difference between switching between different static refresh rates and dynamic adjusting on the fly.

It's obvious it doesn't have dynamic refresh rate or else they wouldn't have been hiding it.

It all makes sense now: NVIDIA NO COMMENTS = HIDDEN FPS = NO DYNAMIC REFRESH RATE = ADAPTIVE SYNC AND FREESYNC = FAKE

We will only discover this when this is released to the public as a standard tech to find out it's all a conspiracy theory to try to kill G-Sync. 

It all makes sense now: NVIDIA NO COMMENTS = HIDDEN FPS = NO DYNAMIC REFRESH RATE = ADAPTIVE SYNC AND FREESYNC = FAKE

We will only discover this when this is released to the public as a standard tech to find out it's all a conspiracy theory to try to kill G-Sync. 

When you will discover it; they will be showing a working product. Theyve been claiming all the time, during their presentations, to have a working product thats capable of dynamic refresh rates which was a complete lie. That's all about it. They should make it work before lying at us.

When you will discover it; they will be showing a working product. Theyve been claiming all the time, during their presentations, to have a working product thats capable of dynamic refresh rates which was a complete lie. That's all about it. They should make it work before lying at us.

So what's all of this about if the end result is a working product? What is the point you are trying to make?

Adaptive-Sync is a proven and widely adopted technology. The technology has been a standard component of VESA’s embedded DisplayPort (eDP™) specification since its initial rollout in 2009.  Newly introduced to the DisplayPort 1.2a specification for external displays, this technology is now formally known as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

That was from Vesa.

Now that you've gotten your answer again; eDP AS = DP AS and you have your static refresh rate that was proven by Anandtech & that german source. If dynamic refresh rate was working, AMD wouldn't have been hiding it during their presentation.

You are still misunderstanding the word "static". Static means that the value cannot change.

Adaptive Sync is what is called a variable refresh rate. G-sync is to be considered a varible refresh rate too.

You are still misunderstanding the word "static". Static means that the value cannot change.

It is called variable refresh rate. G-sync is to be considered a varible refresh rate.

You don't even need AS/Gsync to change your monitors refresh rate.

There's a difference between switching a refresh rate and what Gsync is doing. AMD hasn't proved us anything that they have dynamic refresh rates adjusting accordingly to the frame rate. FPS was fixed on 47-48 on all of their demo's

That was from Vesa.

It is still variable vblank they are talking about. Feel free to find any mention of Adaptive Sync in the eDP white papers. Integrated laptop displayport, obviously does not have plug and play handshake for max/min hz intervals. No need, as everything are custom made for a laptop. You really don't understand what Adaptive Sync is, nor how it works; that is completely clear now.

Anandtech didn't prove anything, neither was that their mission. That laptop did not support the Adaptive Sync standard. But I'm just wasting my time. You don't know what Adaptive Sync is, how it works or what the standard in itself include. For any other reading this, these are the main pointers of Adaptive Sync:

• AS have a plug and play handshake, where the monitor tells the graphics card, what min and max hz is supported by the monitor. The gfx will then send frames within these intervals in a one way communication. (Gsync uses a complex redundant 2way comm.)
  • AS is based in Variable VBlank, which is part of the eDP standard. This was invented as a power savings feature, to update the display controller (often called scaler) less often, when no change happened on the laptop screen. eDP does not support AS or variable synced framerates.
  • Both AS and gsync is based on variable vblank., which is basically an instruction to the display controller, to stop scanning for new frames, but just keep the excisting frame, until a new one is supplied.
  • AS as a standard supports hz intervals from 9-240hz. What interval is supported in the display controller, is up to the manufacturer of that said controller (hence the "proposed intervals" mentioned ealier).
  • Adaptive Sync is optional, but the display controller has to support the standard. None of the youtube examples shows a monitor with an AS supported display controller. The controllers needs a hardware upgrade to give a full interval (hence why the excisting display controller with a firmware upgrade, could only handle 40-60hz variable framerate). The prototypes of the AS supported display controllers, should hit the monitor vendors September or October. We should see monitor prototypes with native AS support shortly after. Those monitors should hit the market late this year/early next year.  

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Holy clickbait headline batman

TIL: nvidia not being able to comment on products that aren't release yet = NVIDIA SLAMS AMD !!11

They should have just gone full out and said NVIDIA EVISCERATES AMD!!11

You don't even need AS/Gsync to change your monitors refresh rate.

There's a difference between switching a refresh rate and what Gsync is doing. AMD hasn't proved us anything that they have dynamic refresh rates adjusting accordingly to the frame rate. FPS was fixed on 47-48 on all of their demo's

G-sync is using a variable refresh rate, just like adaptive sync.

A static refresh rate MEANS it wont change (unless some hardware configurations).

Think of it like ethernet configurations. A static IP, wont change.

You are pulling this nonsense out of nowhere, rampant speculation. Don't make ridiculous claims unless you have actual proof.

(hence why the excisting display controller with a firmware upgrade, could only handle 40-60hz variable framerate). 

You mean this demo, yea? 

FreeSync_Computex_678x452.jpg

Was already been proved to be fixed at 47

"Die Demo läuft mit einer Bildwiederholfrequenz von 47 bis 48 Frames pro Sekunde und der Monitor liefert dank der angepassten Bildwiederhohlfrequenz ein einwandfreies Bild ab, das dem von Nvidias G-Sync sehr ähnlich sieht. Eine variierende Framerate, auf die der Monitor reagieren kann, lässt die Demo aktuell noch nicht zu. Während der Monitor während der Präsentation keine Probleme machte, stürzte die Techdemo von AMD zudem mehrfach ab."

"The demo runs at a refresh rate 47-48 frames per second and the monitor provides thanks to the custom frequency a perfect picture that is very similar to Nvidia G-Sync. Currently the demo does not have a varying framerate at which the monitor could react. While the monitor showed no problems during the presentation, the tech demo of AMD also crashed several times."

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-06/amd-freesync-monitore-guenstiger-als-g-sync/

Was from Computex which huddy claimed that it was switching automatically between 40-60Hz without having the balls showing us the framerate. Now you get your AMD's PR to be proven wrong

You are pulling this nonsense out of nowhere, rampant speculation. Don't make ridiculous claims unless you have actual proof.

Lol? I haven't seen any proof yet showing me that AMD managed to provide us a dynamic refresh rate yet except talk. We've only seen evidence with static refresh rates which I posted numerous times you guys are not willing to accept.

Weren't they hidding the FPS?

Which is the proof of having no dynamic refresh rate yet.

You mean this demo, yea? 

FreeSync_Computex_678x452.jpg

"Die Demo läuft mit einer Bildwiederholfrequenz von 47 bis 48 Frames pro Sekunde und der Monitor liefert dank der angepassten Bildwiederhohlfrequenz ein einwandfreies Bild ab, das dem von Nvidias G-Sync sehr ähnlich sieht. Eine variierende Framerate, auf die der Monitor reagieren kann, lässt die Demo aktuell noch nicht zu. Während der Monitor während der Präsentation keine Probleme machte, stürzte die Techdemo von AMD zudem mehrfach ab."

"The demo runs at a refresh rate 47-48 frames per second and the monitor provides thanks to the custom frequency a perfect picture that is very similar to Nvidia G-Sync. Currently the demo does not have a varying framerate at which the monitor could react. While the monitor showed no problems during the presentation, the tech demo of AMD also crashed several times."

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-06/amd-freesync-monitore-guenstiger-als-g-sync/

Was from Computex which huddy claimed that it was switching automatically between 40-60Hz without having the balls showing us the framerate. Now you get your AMD's PR to be proven wrong

Lol? I haven't seen any proof yet showing me that AMD managed to provide us a dynamic refresh rate yet except talk. We've only seen evidence with static refresh rates which I posted numerous times you guys are not willing to accept.

And that's a very old proof of concept demo, done using a quickly hacked together display. You are spreading FUD based on nothing.

If you repeat bullshit enough times it doesn't make it true.

This just raises the question : how did they know it was running between 47 and 48 FPS if the FPS were hidden?

And that's a very old proof of concept demo, done using a quickly hacked together display. You are spreading FUD based on nothing.

Seems like you are misunderstanding me; I'm not saying Freesync won't ever have dynamic refresh rate. I'm saying that their demo's did not showed this and has been proved to be not having it yet. 

Well, then Nvidia haven't provided dynamic refresh rates neither. It is also variable refresh rate.

You mean this demo, yea? 

OK, we've seen it now. You've spammed that link so much now:

I mean this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZthhqmhbw8 I have a lot more confidence in Anandtech, than some random german site, with no proof of their claim (you said it yourself, the fps was hidden). That proof of concept runs at 40-60hz variable framerate. There is no proof of any other framerate (other than a random german site). Find another source, that proves your point. I can find plenty (and trustworthy) sources, that claim otherwise.

You can bash AMD's credibility all you want, fair enough. But you outright ignore VESA's own claim of their own standard. And you want us to take you seriously? VESA has proved AS. It's in their spec.

You have not understood the point of any of the proof of concept demos so far. Not even the ones that don't have variable framerates (laptop), nor why that is. You completely ignore that. Read http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/208498-nvidia-slams-amd-freesync-we-cant-comment-on-pricing-of-products-that-dont-exist/page-3#entry2830784 one more time. When you understand what it says, then read this again: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/208498-nvidia-slams-amd-freesync-we-cant-comment-on-pricing-of-products-that-dont-exist/page-3#entry2830872 Both explain why the laptop is fixed in framerate, and why that is not relevant to Adaptive Sync, as it does not support Adaptive Sync (and no eDP is NOT Adaptive Sync).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That proof of concept runs at 40-6hz variable framerate. There is no proof of any other framerate (other than a random german site). Find another source, that proves your point. I can find plenty (and trustworthy) sources, that claim otherwise.

Thats the point; show us a video thats showing variable framerates because the one you linked was proving nothing besides PR. There's no proof so they don't have anything working properly yet. I've asked you for this a few posts ago. 

You are missing that the german article provides no proof either - if the FPS were hidden, how could they claim the demo was running @ 46-48 FPS?

So claiming that the demo didn't work because it didn't show the FPS, works for the debunk of the article that claim it worked only in that range of FPS. They didn't know as well.

Either something is missing, or that was just a bad article.

Thats the point; show us a video thats showing variable framerates because the one you linked was proving nothing besides PR. There's no proof so they don't have anything working properly yet. I've asked you for this a few posts ago. 

No that proof of concept IS running variable framerates, with an interval of 40-60fps, just like the gsync rog runs with an interval of 30-144hz. They both do it variable. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8129/computex-2014-amd-demonstrates-first-freesync-monitor-prototype

And that is on a firmwareupdated non native AS supported display controller. When the native AS supported display controllers come out, they will have an interval larger and different than 40-60. You even mentioned the popential intervals yourself. But essentially a display controller vendor, can choose any interval between 9-240hz. All variable framerates.

You are missing that the german article provides no proof either - if the FPS were hidden, how could they claim the demo was running @ 46-48 FPS?

So claiming that the demo didn't work because it didn't show the FPS, works for the debunk of the article that claim it worked only in that range of FPS. They didn't know as well.

Either something is missing, or that was just a bad article.

When someone isn't standing there, quickly figure it out? Or ask it? The fact that AMD wasnt showing FPS during their presentation and nvidia was doing this was enough.

Using two Toshiba Satellite Click notebooks purchased at retail, without any hardware modifications, AMD demonstrated variable refresh rate technology. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014 (that vid included).

Nothing was variable.

In the video below both systems have V-Sync enabled, but the machine on the right is taking advantage of variable VBLANK intervals. Vsync doesnt work with Freesync/Gsync enabled, that's NOT variable refresh anymore.

When someone isn't standing there, quickly figure it out? Or ask it? The fact that AMD wasnt showing FPS during their presentation and nvidia was doing this was enough.

Using two Toshiba Satellite Click notebooks purchased at retail, without any hardware modifications, AMD demonstrated variable refresh rate technology. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014 (that vid included).

Nothing was variable.

In the video below both systems have V-Sync enabled, but the machine on the right is taking advantage of variable VBLANK intervals. Vsync doesnt work with Freesync/Gsync enabled, that's NOT variable refresh anymore.

so you are saying that both amd and VESA are lying out of their teeth and we should never trust either company ever again