Does caffeine decrease lifespan or no?

Go to solution Solved by MegaDave91,

Sorry Off topic , but is that a Jackson SL2H? or is it a Ibanez RG 470 MHZ ?

Jackson USA SLATQ MAH Solost. There's a picture of it in my profile. I won't post it in the thread for obvious reasons. :)

That's your resting heartrate? Yeah, it could be lower...

110KG at 5,9.

Badddd

Not my theory actually, Google it, it is explained much better elsewhere.

It is related to other factors like mass, metabolism and the fact healthier people do other things like have better diets etc to increase their lifespan. Caffeine doesn't really factor into it.

It is related to other factors like mass, metabolism and the fact healthier people do other things like have better diets etc to increase their lifespan. Caffeine doesn't really factor into it.

Oh good!

So I if I just lose the weight I have nothing to fear.

Every day, I drink a cup of dark french roast which I buy from starbucks and brew at home, (not decaf btw) and I also lift 40 pounds a day, and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day. I guess it evens out 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Jackson USA SLATQ MAH Solost. There's a picture of it in my profile. I won't post it in the thread for obvious reasons. :)

Yah , sorry , i gotta learn to check peoples profiles xD 

I don't think caffeine really affects you that much. Even if it did, the amount of life you'd lose is at the end anyway, when most peoples quality of life is greatly diminished.
I've never understood why people are so obsessed with living longer. I mean, it would be one thing if we were in our prime (or hell, even in the shape of someone in their 40's) our whole lives, but that's not how the human body works. It deteriorates with age. So you lose 3 or 4 years off the end. No big deal, really.

You would have a very hard time proving it. Your heart beating faster does not imply that you will die sooner, otherwise exercise would kill you.

It's bound to have an effect, but caffeine hasn't really been linked to any life changing illness.

It is a poison of sorts though, you can kill someone with a high enough single dose.

A very small dose, actually. One tablespoon of pure caffeine is enough to end most people.

There's a difference between overweight and obese and even morbidly obese.

Damn rights.

Most of the numbers they give are simply very rough guidelines too. Technically I'm heavily overweight for my height. However, I just have a decent amount of muscle.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Every day, I drink a cup of dark french roast which I buy from starbucks and brew at home, (not decaf btw) and I also lift 40 pounds a day, and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day. I guess it evens out 

What what I've read, having straight black coffee (some will argue the way it's meant to be consumed) is quite beneficial and can help you recall and retain information better right after consuming.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Oh good!

So I if I just lose the weight I have nothing to fear.

You will always have to fear death, no getting around that one.

It's really just too complicated a question to answer as it will vary from person to person. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with an existing heart condition that would more than likely shorten their lifespan, but for a healthy person it shouldn't really affect their quality of life which is actually more important than lifespan in this day and age.

Now for a random question : should I skip college tomorrow?

I can't sleep at this moment and I have less than 4 hours of sleeping left If I would fall asleep right now.

Also a new desk chair is coming in but nobody to take the package.....

College Is once a week for me anyway but....

What should I do?

Caffeine shouldn't decrease your life span if you have like 3 coffee's a day. the sugar intake is more concerning probably.

I'm only 5'10" and 56kg (125 pounds) I don't know how to gain a pound more no matter what I do. :| 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

What what I've read, having straight black coffee (some will argue the way it's meant to be consumed) is quite beneficial and can help you recall and retain information better right after consuming.

Did I mention I dont add milk, or sugar :D

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Now for a random question : should I skip college tomorrow?

I can't sleep at this moment and I have less than 4 hours of sleeping left If I would fall asleep right now.

Also a new desk chair is coming in but nobody to take the package.....

College Is once a week for me anyway but....

What should I do?

Well if you can make up what you loose. than it isn't the biggest problem.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You will always have to fear death, no getting around that one.

It's really just too complicated a question to answer as it will vary from person to person. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with an existing heart condition that would more than likely shorten their lifespan, but for a healthy person it shouldn't really affect their quality of life which is actually more important than lifespan in this day and age.

Oh of course death can always occur.

But yeah, just wondering....

I don't even know IF i have a weak heart. Never got checked for it. My dad had a weak heart and it was apparent as a teenager for him.

Me and my sisters Don't seem to have heart problems so far and I am 20....What are the chances? :P

A very small dose, actually. One tablespoon of pure caffeine is enough to end most people.

Yeah depends how you look at it I suppose to me that's a high dose if you know what I mean. It doesn't usually come in pure form though unless it has a lot of warning stickers on it which is good news.

If you tried to drink yourself to death with coffee you wouldn't be able to, your body would reject it, violent sickness, headaches... If you get passed that stage I would be impressed. 

Well if you can make up what you loose. than it isn't the biggest problem.

The homework and work is a piece of cake. Way too easy for somebody of my intellect in that class, my teachers all said so.

But no, can't make it up that time.

Caffeine shouldn't decrease your life span if you have like 3 coffee's a day. the sugar intake is more concerning probably.

I'm only 5'10" and 56kg (125 pounds) I don't know how to gain a pound more no matter what I do. :|

Jesus man I am twice your weight.

Jesus man I am twice your weight.

I'm 30-50 pounds underweight. xD I try to gain weight but I guess it will come anywhere between now, till i'm 18.

Computing enthusiast. 

I'm 30-50 pounds underweight. xD I try to gain weight but I guess it will come anywhere between now, till i'm 18.

I would give some but that's not healthy, to remove my fat in that way.

Yeah depends how you look at it I suppose to me that's a high dose if you know what I mean. It doesn't usually come in pure form though unless it has a lot of warning stickers on it which is good news.

If you tried to drink yourself to death with coffee you wouldn't be able to, your body would reject it, violent sickness, headaches... If you get passed that stage I would be impressed. 

There actually aren't any warning labels on it.

It says it in very small print at the bottom of the bag, but it's assumed when you're purchasing it you know what you're getting into.

Caffeine has an LD50 of 150 - 200 milligrams per kilogram in humans. While that's about 100 cups of coffee, it's only 13 grams of caffeine for an average (145lb) person.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I dont think it has any effect. I dont think that you have a certain amount of heartbeats in your life. :P

25 lbs and you'd be fine. Don't just cram food though, make the majority of it muscle. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Caffeine is a stimulant, it increases your heart rate, force of contraction, and I believe is a mild vasoconstrictor, meaning it can cause blood vessels to constrict and raise your blood pressure. Over time this is bound to have a negative effect on your cardiovascular system, which in turn has a negative effect on every organ and tissue in your body, in particular the heart, which does not tolerate ischemia(lack of blood flow) very well, or the brain, which requires a continuous supply of oxygen(carried in the blood).

The biggest problem is that the increased strain on the cardiovascular system would decrease elasticity of the blood vessels and increase the likelihood of plaque deposits over time, resulting in an overall decline in circulation and increase the likelihood of a heart attack, which would definitely decrease the lifespan of your heart. If you already suffer from heart disease caffeine could also result in electrical rhythm abnormalities if you consume large amounts of it. Even in a healthy person, If I hooked up an ECG to you and had you drink a few red bulls I would probably see some temporary benign abnormalities like PVCs(pre ventricular contractions). in addition to an increased heart rate and increased blood pressure.

So overall caffeine is probably bad for you, although nowhere near as bad as smoking, which has a devastating effect on the cardiovascular system over time. Like anything, taken in moderation caffeine is probably no worse than a lot of other things we ingest. But the less you drink the better it would be for your health.

I'm a Paramedic by the way.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Oh, I just thought of something else; when you run or work out, your heart beats faster. So do I think that exercising will make you live less long? Hell no. So I think the caffiene thing is wrong. caffiene might make you live less long for another reason, but not the heart rate one.

Caffeine is a stimulant, it increases your heart rate, force of contraction, and I believe is a mild vasoconstrictor, meaning it can cause blood vessels to constrict and raise your blood pressure. Over time this is bound to have a negative effect on your cardiovascular system, which in turn has a negative effect on every organ and tissue in your body, in particular the heart, which does not tolerate ischemia(lack of blood flow) very well, or the brain, which requires a continuous supply of oxygen(carried in the blood).

The biggest problem is that the increased strain on the cardiovascular system would decrease elasticity of the blood vessels and increase the likelihood of plaque deposits over time, resulting in an overall decline in circulation and increase the likelihood of a heart attack, which would definitely decrease the lifespan of your heart. If you already suffer from heart disease caffeine could also result in electrical rhythm abnormalities if you consume large amounts of it. Even in a healthy person, If I hooked up an ECG to you and had you drink a few red bulls I would probably see some temporarily benign abnormalities like PVCs(pre ventricular contractions).

So overall caffeine is probably bad for you, although nowhere near as bad as smoking, which has a devastating effect on the cardiovascular system over time. Like anything, taken in moderation caffeine is probably no worse than a lot of other things we ingest. But the less you drink the better it would be for your health.

I'm a Paramedic by the way.

Finally a professional!

Is smoking really that bad?

Luckily I never had a cigarette or smoked anything in my life, and I did hear it raised blood pressure, but... That bad Huh?..

Oh, I just thought of something else; when you run or work out, your heart beats faster. So do I think that exercising will make you live less long? Hell no. So I think the caffiene thing is wrong. caffiene might make you live less long for another reason, but not the heart rate one.

Yes, but being fitter decreases your resting heart rate and you are in rest way longer than you are in exercise in total.