Would my motherboard be able to properly run M-Audio AV30/40s?

79wjd

Will my MSI Z97s SLI Plus be able to properly drive a pair of M-Audio AV30/40s? I'm considering picking up the AV30s (unless I can find a compelling reason for the AV40s)...but I've heard that onboard audio has trouble driving these (albeit I heard that on an audio forum--from people who don't know much about motherboards...so).

They're active...so I can't see why it would be an issue...yet, I've seen multiple people complaining about them having issues with onboard audio. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They are active so yes, they will be driven by the amplifier inside one of the speakers you can just connect the RCA input to the audio out of your motherboard using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter or cord.

They are active so yes, they will be driven by the amplifier inside one of the speakers you can just connect the RCA input to the audio out of your motherboard using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter or cord.

Thats what I assumed...wasn't sure if I was overlooking something because it was just one or two people, it was a decent number of people who said onboard audio had trouble with them. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thats what I assumed...wasn't sure if I was overlooking something because it was just one or two people, it was a decent number of people who said onboard audio had trouble with them. 

I find it hard to understand why, what reasons did they give?

I find it hard to understand why, what reasons did they give?

They didn't really give a reason...."Unless you have a $100+ sound card, don't bother. Just get a pair of computer speakers" was pretty much the argument. Like I said, I can't really see what they're getting at either. 

Welp, back to scouring the internet...I'd love to know how the bass in the AV30s, AV40s, and Z623 compare. I'm assuming the AV30s/40s will sound immensely better in the mids and highs and only marginally (?) worse in the lows.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

They didn't really give a reason...."Unless you have a $100+ sound card, don't bother. Just get a pair of computer speakers" was pretty much the argument. Like I said, I can't really see what they're getting at either.

Yeah that's advice you can ignore for certain, I would also stop getting advice from that place in future about audio.

Your board has the Realtek ALC892 same as mine, it's a good codec and shouldn't be an issue, if you find the noise floor is high (hissing/EMI noise) then perhaps consider getting an external USB DAC or something, but I manage fine with my onboard audio connected to an amplifier and speakers because in terms of actually playing sound it rates very well.

With onboard audio it has the negative of being in an electrically hostile environment, interference can get into the signal due to its location, like I stated above if there is any kind of noise in the signal that you aren't happy with then an external USB DAC will solve the issue by moving the DAC/signal path away from that environment outside of the PC case.

Yeah that's advice you can ignore for certain, I would also stop getting advice from that place in future about audio.

With onboard audio it has the negative of being in an electrically hostile environment, interference can get into the signal due to its location, like I stated above if there is any kind of noise in the signal that you aren't happy with then an external USB DAC will solve the issue by moving the DAC/signal path away from that environment outside of the PC case.

It shouldn't be an issue. I've been using my UE6000s with no complaints.

Now just do decide whether to go for the AV30s ($80) or 40s ($120)...since I think either is a better choice than a 2.1 computer system (Z623s or CA 3550RB). From what I've seen the AV40s only appear to be marginally better than the 30s, so I think the 30s might be the better option.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It shouldn't be an issue. I've been using my UE6000s with no complaints.

Now just do decide whether to go for the AV30s ($80) or 40s ($120)...since I think either is a better choice than a 2.1 computer system (Z623s or CA 3550RB). From what I've seen the AV40s only appear to be marginally better than the 30s, so I think the 30s might be the better option.

I would wait for one of the more experience users in Audio to see this thread and answer that, I'm not qualified to answer I just wanted to address the onboard audio issue.

I would wait for one of the more experience users in Audio to see this thread and answer that, I'm not qualified to answer I just wanted to address the onboard audio issue.

Know anyone who lives in the Audio section? Don't know much about audio either so don't really come here often. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Know anyone who lives in the Audio section? Don't know much about audio either so don't really come here often. 

@h264 

I don't know them personally but I know of them however I won't tag them because I did that before once and it wasn't appreciated, I'm sure it will be seen in good time.

Some users only inhabit the audio subforum, so they'll see all threads and pick whatever they want to post in or read, so I can see why tagging would be annoying.

I don't know them personally but I know of them

lol

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I have the AV30s and confirm they've work just fine with any source I've thrown at them. They're fantastic for the money.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

I would like to note that I haven't responded to this thread because Askew seemed to be sufficiently answering it. 

It's hard to get a good idea of how various speaker setups perform because they're harder to properly review than headphones, so no one really does it outside of a few select sets that they're probably getting paid to review. Best to judge in on what you're willing to pay for a set of speakers - $120 isn't a huge leap up from $80, especially for something that should last you most of your life time, but at the same time, saving money is saving money. I'd vote getting the cheaper pair, because if you're into music you'll probably upgrade in the future either way.

I have the AV30s and confirm they've work just fine with any source I've thrown at them. They're fantastic for the money.

Any reason you chose the 30s over the 40s? 

I would like to note that I haven't responded to this thread because Askew seemed to be sufficiently answering it. 

It's hard to get a good idea of how various speaker setups perform because they're harder to properly review than headphones, so no one really does it outside of a few select sets that they're probably getting paid to review. Best to judge in on what you're willing to pay for a set of speakers - $120 isn't a huge leap up from $80, especially for something that should last you most of your life time, but at the same time, saving money is saving money. I'd vote getting the cheaper pair, because if you're into music you'll probably upgrade in the future either way.

Well, not necessarily "for life". There for my apartment at college...which is a plane ride away--so like 3 years, ao I'm sure there will be some things i just can't get home. But thats besides the point as far as I'm concerned. 

I love my Logitech UE6000s. So, I don't need anything better than them. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, not necessarily "for life". There for my apartment at college...which is a plane ride away, so I'm sure there will be some things i just can't get home. But thats besides the point as far as I'm concerned. 

Can always sell them at the end of the year or whatever, and they'll last someone else for life. ;)

I love my Logitech UE6000s. So, I don't need anything better than them. 

If you're asking me to compare the headphones to speakers.... I really can't. Headphone audio quality isn't a flat scale, and there's many variables that make them sound different to each individual. Also I've no idea what the speakers sound like.  :unsure:

It's safe to say you'll be pleased by them though. Properly placed speakers always beat out headphones. Just try your best to have them an equal distance to either side of your head, and angle them inwards toward where you're sitting.

Can always sell them at the end of the year or whatever, and they'll last someone else for life. ;)

If you're asking me to compare the headphones to speakers.... I really can't. Headphone audio quality isn't a flat scale, and there's many variables that make them sound different to each individual. Also I've no idea what the speakers sound like.  :unsure:

It's safe to say you'll be pleased by them though. Properly placed speakers always beat out headphones. Just try your best to have them an equal distance to either side of your head, and angle them inwards toward where you're sitting.

True. 

I was more curious as to their caliber--Is one in a completely different league--not that thats necessarily any easier to answer...

Is the only real difference between them that the AV40 has a larger driver--so presumably better bass (?) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Any reason you chose the 30s over the 40s? 

I worked for an electronics store at the time that carried them in stock so I was able to pick them up for somewhere along the lines of $40. They didn't carry the 40s. 

I also don't tend to blast my music so I didn't really care to spend the extra money for the extra wattage.  The larger driver might have been nice for a little extra bass. I've had them for years now, probably going to upgrade at some point, but they've done me just fine for the last 5 years. 

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

I worked for an electronics store at the time that carried them in stock so I was able to pick them up for somewhere along the lines of $40. They didn't carry the 40s. 

ah. 

What would you say the lows are like? Would you say it has a nice strong bass? Obviously not as bass-y as something with a dedicated bass...but 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Is the only real difference between them that the AV40 has a larger driver--so presumably better bass (?) 

It's a safe bet that the bass extends deeper in the frequency range, yes, but the difference should be somewhat minor.

ah. 

What would you say the lows are like? Would you say it has a nice strong bass? Obviously not as bass-y as something with a dedicated bass...but 

The bass isn't bad. It's not going to blow you away or anything, but it's a nice punchy response.  Remember that these are monitors so they're supposed to be a flat response which for me is fine.  Some might say they don't sound "fun" which they don't. They sound like what was intended by the producer. 

The bass isn't bad. It's not going to blow you away or anything, but it's a nice punchy response.  Remember that these are monitors so they're supposed to be a flat response which for me is fine.  Some might say they don't sound "fun" which they don't. They sound like what was intended by the producer. 

hmmm

I don't like a loud pounding bass (like beats), but I like a bit of bass as it adds a nice amount of contrast.....so do you think a "punchy base" will be good enough...Haven't ever heard a pair of monitors. But, I think it makes more sense than the alternatives, which just sound meh across the board. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey, sorry, I live here too, I was just caught up in the nonsense going on at 4chan the last couple of weeks.

I'd do speakers over headphones any day.  Why do I do headphones? Nobody else likes my music :ph34r: .

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Hey, sorry, I live here too, I was just caught up in the nonsense going on at 4chan the last couple of weeks.

I'd do speakers over headphones any day.  Why do I do headphones? Nobody else likes my music :ph34r: .

Any idea if the AV40s are worth the $40 extra compared to the AV30s? As far as I can tell the only difference will be the the AV40s will have slightly more bass...Is there some other difference, would it be a noticeable difference?

My guess (and I @ShearMe's I believe) is that the AV30 is the better choice since the AV40s will only be slightly better.

/guesses or thoughts...whatever you've got is better than anything my intuition will tell me--speakers aren't my forte.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Any idea if the AV40s are worth the $40 extra compared to the AV30s? As far as I can tell the only difference will be the the AV40s will have slightly more bass...Is there some other difference, would it be a noticeable difference?

My guess (and I @ShearMe's I believe) is that the AV30 is the better choice since the AV40s will only be slightly better.

/guesses or thoughts...whatever you've got is better than anything my intuition will tell me--speakers aren't my forte.

I've never tried out either, but my general experience is that headphones close in model number usually have few actually sound quality differences, so he's probably right.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."