What is your logic on upgrading your video card?

cnapier39428

When it can no longer play games at:

800x600

lowest settings

dipping under 10FPS

You still on Voodoo then?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

When I can afford it.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I tend to upgrade each generation, and pick between AMD and Nvidia based on who has the best bang for buck card. this gen its AMD, but next generation of cards is totally up in the air. Maxwell is basically GCN architecture but more granular, so I might skip next generation.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Pseudocode answer

old GPU working....if yes.... then keep and use.....if no.....then tally finances.......if total is enough to buy a good-great GPU......then buy a new GPU for that price......else add more and buy good - great GPU. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

When my GPU won't max out the latest battlefield game @60FPS for me it means it's time to upgrade!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I went over budget cause I got a great deal. I bought 2 cards at once. I hope they can handle games and rendering for a good few years, and bring them into my next build. Ive bought a few $150 budget cards and found they need to be replaced sooner than later. When my last budget card (think it was a gigabyte 4gb 610 or something) crapped out, I used onboard intel 3000 graphics... didnt notice the difference as much as I thought. So my mindset is go big or go home.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

You still on Voodoo then?

awww. I got a voodoo3 pci for christmas... like 2 weeks after they shut their doors. I was 13 and it was the saddest christmas ever. Luckily I found some drivers created by an awesome team of voodoo enthusiasts.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Primary Consideration is Money.

But if money is not an issue, I usually upgrade every 2 generations. GTX8800GT -> GTX275 -> GTX470 -> GTX670 -> planning on getting the 870 if benchmarks and reviews are good.

The 4xx was the generation after the 2xx

i just upgrade them when my previous gfx card doesn't seem to cut it for me at high details.

i've gone from voodoo 2, to voodoo 2 SLI to ati 9800 to ti 4200 to 8800 gt to gtx 460 to gtx 560 to gtx 760.

i'm either going 760x2 or grabbing a 780 when the 9xx comes out, depending on my cash saved for upgrades.

i actually think i'm missing a card or two in there but i can't remember for sure.

When i can sell my GPU for the price of the moment (maybe a bit lower) so i can buy a newer one. I only buy nvidia's 70 gpus (570, 770) as they are good enough for 60 fps in 1080p ultra in every game that gets released the same year it gets released and since they are cheaper they are also easier to sell in 2nd hand.

Money + Noticeable Frame lag = New stuffs.

or, Money = New stuffs.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

When i can sell my GPU for the price of the moment (maybe a bit lower) so i can buy a newer one. I only buy nvidia's 70 gpus (570, 770) as they are good enough for 60 fps in 1080p ultra in every game that gets released the same year it gets released and since they are cheaper they are also easier to sell in 2nd hand.

Don't work that way. A 670/770 will not get 60fps min in Metro LL or Crysis3 etc.

Don't work that way. A 670/770 will not get 60fps min in Metro LL or Crysis3 etc.

I just ended Metro Last Light Redux today and my fps didn't go below 60fps (they did during 30 sec one of the times i got to the surface) . On Last Light (no redux) it was at 40 fps tho, but i don't care for poorly optimized games.

When my graphics card can't play over 30fps medium settings 1080p.  Then I'll upgrade, but most times I'll save up for an entirely new pc so I can go all out on it. 

Buy the most expensive card. 

jk

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I just ended Metro Last Light Redux today and my fps didn't go below 60fps (they did during 30 sec one of the times i got to the surface) . On Last Light (no redux) it was at 40 fps tho, but i don't care for poorly optimized games.

Well 55fps avg is a far cry from 60fps on the min. http://www.legitreviews.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-770-windforce-3x-2gb-video-card-review_2218/8 in fact the 770 cant maintain 60fps in any modern heavy game at max settings nor could a 670 or 570 etc.

If i want to upgrade it will go like this

1. Do I have Money? Yes/No

2. Is the performance i'm currently having satisfactory (for now that would be 1080p 60fps at a medium/high at least)? Yes/No

3. Is the performance increase and features in the new card worth the money im going to spend? Yes/No

If i get a yes on 1 and 3 ill buy a new GPU

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

My last two purchases were motivated largely by the desire to play one or two games at settings my current card was unable to handle.

I got my r9 280x because I wanted to play bf4 at 1080p on ultra with decent frame rates, and that was the cheapest card available that could achieve that. I would have gotten a better card but my old pc was stolen and my laptop died so I suddenly needed something relatively cheap ASAP.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

This is how it works for me:

I can't Maintain 60fps on at least high/ medium high mix, time to upgrade.

How much money do I have? what's the best thing I can buy with that? What's the upgrade path? Good. Card purchased

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well when I eventually get to the point where I need to upgrade, the logic/argument behind it would be: If I can't play games at reasonable framerates (30+) at medium settings at 1080p, then an upgrade is needed. Or if the GPU I have does not support the latest DirectX or other software that is advantageous to me, then I need to upgrade.

However, at the moment my need to "upgrade" (finish my PC build) is down to being unable to play LoL, let alone anything else.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim