LGA 2011 vs LGA 1150

Go to solution Solved by Andi,

You could run a 3570k for 4 years and change your GPU every year. You don't need a 2011 for that.

<p>I started thinking this because CPU performance doesn't change much overtime. So if I could run the same CPU for over 4 years and change my GPU every year or so.  I got this idea from INBOX.EXE 0032. So which would be better buy a GPU and a mid range CPU or a high end CPU and change the GPU every 12-18 months?</p>

Quote me to get a reply!

So... what's the question again? :P

I'm still using Lynnfield - sure CPU performance has come a fair way since then, but my use case hasn't evolved enough for me to think about upgrading any time soon - my rig can still handle what ever i throw at it with ease.

You could run a 3570k for 4 years and change your GPU every year. You don't need a 2011 for that.

What CPU are you using now?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I'm still using Lynnfield - sure CPU performance has come a fair way since then, but my use case hasn't evolved enough for me to think about upgrading any time soon - my rig can still handle what ever i throw at it with ease.

Check the post again for my question.

Quote me to get a reply!

What CPU are you using now?

I'm using an I5 2410M on a Vaio laptop.

Quote me to get a reply!

I was thinking because I could spend more on my CPU and less on GPU and upgrade every 12-18 months or more on GPU and upgrade after a few years with a lesser CPU. INBOX:0032 got me thinks about this. So the question is more CPU and then upgrade every 12-18 months or less on CPU and more on GPU and upgrade in a few years.

Quote me to get a reply!

I saw that episode, where Wendell always buys the 60ti in the series and upgrades everytime one comes out. its an interesting way of doing things, a lot more expensive than just buying 1 high end card but it does keep you more up to date. just think about cards like the 580, now 2 generations old and can still run a lot of the modern game at fairly high settings with decent frame rates. I personally like to buy the highest end card I can get and upgrade on like a 3 year cycle. but that my opinion its up to you and depends on how much money you have.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I saw that episode, where Wendell always buys the 60ti in the series and upgrades everytime one comes out. its an interesting way of doing things, a lot more expensive than just buying 1 high end card but it does keep you more up to date. just think about cards like the 580, now 2 generations old and can still run a lot of the modern game at fairly high settings with decent frame rates. I personally like to buy the highest end card I can get and upgrade on like a 3 year cycle. but that my opinion its up to you and depends on how much money you have.

I had a 8800 GTX which I upgraded to a GTX 550 Ti, Now im on a HD 7950. I would spend a load on the CPU and other hardware and you are set for about 5 years. GPU is would upgrade every 3-4 years. IMHO

\

When I was thinking of building a whole new system back in November/December 2011, I was just in time for the LGA2011 launch and of course, the X79 chipset mobo. Now, I'd decided to bite the bullet and go big, wanted a 3930K originally, but due to unavailability of stock, bite even harder and got the 3960X. So, here we are near the middle of 2013 and this combo is is quite potent. Looking at the launch of Haswell, and more relevant to me, IB-E, there seems no compelling reasons for me to even consider a move to either of these platforms. One of the reasons why I'd decided to go X79 is the 40 native PCIe lanes, as I knew I would be running at least 2 cards.....now, with three cards doing PCIe x16 3.0 @x16/x8/x16 3.0, my cards are not buswidth bottlenecked. My cards have lasted me longer than I'd expected, but since AMD isn't releasing VI till end yearish, I'm going to spend a few more months of quality time with them.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

When I was thinking of building a whole new system back in November/December 2011, I was just in time for the LGA2011 launch and of course, the X79 chipset mobo. Now, I'd decided to bite the bullet and go big, wanted a 3930K originally, but due to unavailability of stock, bite even harder and got the 3960X. So, here we are near the middle of 2013 and this combo is is quite potent. Looking at the launch of Haswell, and more relevant to me, IB-E, there seems no compelling reasons for me to even consider a move to either of these platforms. One of the reasons why I'd decided to go X79 is the 40 native PCIe lanes, as I knew I would be running at least 2 cards.....now, with three cards doing PCIe x16 3.0 @x16/x8/x16 3.0, my cards are not buswidth bottlenecked. My cards have lasted me longer than I'd expected, but since AMD isn't releasing VI till end yearish, I'm going to spend a few more months of quality time with them.

So basically go X79 if you need the lanes?

Quote me to get a reply!

So basically go X79 if you need the lanes?

Go X79 if you're going like more than 2 way SLI/Crossfire and do a lot of editing. The Z68/P67/Z77(Sandy and Ivy Bridge which both use the same socket) as well as Lynfield which is the first generation of core i3/i5/i7 are more suitable for games. A 3770k will out perform even a 3960x in games(proven in benchmarks just can remember where I got them from off the top of my head).

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I'm using a 1366 930 at the moment I am going to most likly goto 1150 since i have found since getting my computer and working i am doing more mapping and rendering at work now so yeah dont need a huge cpu

if your not rendering / running simulations i dont think there is a need for a 2011 chip

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I had a 8800 GTX which I upgraded to a GTX 550 Ti, Now im on a HD 7950. I would spend a load on the CPU and other hardware and you are set for about 5 years. GPU is would upgrade every 3-4 years. IMHO

Did you see much bottle necking between the 550 and the 7950. What cpu do you have or did you change.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I had a Q6600 when I had the GTX 550 Ti and then got an 3570K, I got a FPS jump of about 30FPS so BF3 at Ultra I was getting about 40 with the new i5.

\

I went X79 because of the pure bandwidth and longevity... I just don't like the bandwidth limitations on mainstream boards.  Not really a big deal for most though.  I loved my old 2500k rig but the performance was crippled in comparison when I had the 4-GTX480s

I tend to buy a bigger/better CPU when I can and upgrade the GPUs as they come out, although I am actually holding off on the 700 series.  Waiting to see what AMD brings and potentially just wait for maxwell.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

<p>I started thinking this because CPU performance doesn't change much overtime. So if I could run the same CPU for over 4 years and change my GPU every year or so.  I got this idea from INBOX.EXE 0032. So which would be better buy a GPU and a mid range CPU or a high end CPU and change the GPU every 12-18 months?</p>

Moved to CPU's

Moved to CPU's

Lol, it's still in general :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

• 6 months later...

Like the paragraph tags and the  

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Like the paragraph tags and the  

This is considered "Necroing" and is against the CoC. This means that you are reviving old and dead threads. Also something when the thread was moved.

Quote me to get a reply!

Get 2 mid range cards and ski/crossfire them. They usually end up beating the fastest card and are easier to sell simply because more people have a budget for them

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

lol...... im still running yorkfield!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

im running a q8400@3.2ghz and  can still pretty much run any game just fine at almost maxed settings (bf4 maxed 1600*900 6970 @30fps)! so that makes it over 5 years old!

so get yourself an i5 3570k or 4670k and you got a solid cpu for the next 4yrs at least! no need for socket 2011!! and get your self a 280x. if you have more money then go for a 290 or 780!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Get 2 mid range cards and ski/crossfire them. They usually end up beating the fastest card and are easier to sell simply because more people have a budget for them

I would have to disagree I would say get a higher end card and the add another on later. Having 2 cards from the beginning is limiting the option of more performance down the road.

Quote me to get a reply!