fps vs resolution?

tomparr44

A high FPS is absolutely crucial, it must be atleast 60FPS and never drop below that.

what is the better trade off?

I'm sorry but there isn't such a thing as a "trade off" between FPS and Resolution, IMO.

It depends on how much you want/can to spend on hardware or which hardware you have;

It depends on what games you want to play;

It depends if in those games you want to play, you just want to have fun or play in a competitive/real serious way;

It depends on your monitor.

With all those questions answered, then you have your answer.

If you have infinite money, you can get a high resolution and high FPS.

If you play single player games, race games, MMOs or strategy games, there's no point in having 140FPS. You'll want eye candy, beautiful and enjoyable gaming(High res is beautiful) and the high FPS won't give you any real advantages in-game.

If you play first person shooter games, MOBAs or Action MMOs, you probably are serious/kinda competitive, so it's good to have a high FPS(frames per second) rate because you can take advantage of that in-game and, most of the times, a lower resolution will even help you (targets get bigger in lower resolutions in some games, for example).

If you have a 60Hz monitor, there won't be much difference for your eyes if you run your games at 60 or 120 FPS. If you, however, have a 120/144Hz monitor, you PROBABLY will notice a difference, even if your hardware is running the game at 60FPS (some people's perception on this might change. One's eye is not like other's, it depends on the person, you must experience it before having an opinion).

For me, having a high FPS and pretty game is more important than a 1440p+ resolution. I find 1440p+ amazing and beautiful, however, I don't have money to buy hardware that will allow me to play at 1440p+ with good quality and high FPS.

There's your "trade off" but it's more related to money than to which's better.

xoxo

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I red this topic title and thought about how stupid you must be to be comparing FPS and Resolution. Now I realize you want to know which one you can sacrifice or at least degrade to save money one would assume. I recommend Resolution as your trade off in a gaming situation because the last thing you want is for lag and to die and an inconvenient time. If you want my recommendation it would be

720p 60FPS

Or Make sure you wont experience frame drops @1080p 48fps

Anything below 60fps or below 1080p is unplayable! id rather turn off AA,motion blur.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

You are 500% wrong

http://30vs60.com/

I can tell the difference between 30, 60 and 120 fps

Also this has been scientifically tested

"The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS."

i cannot tell much of a diference in here but when gaming i easly notice the difference bettew 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60 and etc.

I only recently upgraded to nice things, so my personal opinion is that FPS is more important. I would much rather have a balance of about 1080p (I haven't actually played higher) with 60+ FPS, but I have gamed at 720p with 40 FPS for years and it's playable. If you want your games to be pretty, go for resolution, for everything else, specifically online games with other PCs, I find FPS more important.

i cannot tell much of a diference in here but when gaming i easly notice the difference bettew 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60 and etc.

Really? it looks completely different for me, try watching one for a good minute then switched to the other

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

FPS is better, I'd keep 1680x1050 60fps over 4k 30fps.

1080p 60 FPS is the minimum.

If I had to choose between 1440p@ 60 FPS and 1080p@144, I'd choose 1440p 60 FPS in most games. However, there are plenty of games that (mainly fast first-person games), that I'd much rather play at ~120/144 FPS..

Note: I have both a 1440p 60hz monitor and a 1080p 144hz monitor.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

4K 15 fps

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

FPS can have a large effect on the game outside of visual quality, so you have to keep that in mind when deciding. CS 1.6 is a game where this is an easy fact to prove. A higher frame rate will make you shoot faster and run faster. You can easily test this by having a friend cap his fps to 60 while you set yours to 100. Both of you unload a clip from an AK47 at the same time and watch as your AK empties faster. You can also have a foot race with your friend and watch as you make him eat your dust. You can also show that a higher frame rate makes you run faster without help. Set your fps to 100 and find a slope to slide up by running forward on it. You can slide up a lot of these slopes at 100fps, but as soon as you cap your fps to 60, you not only won't be able to slide up, you'll slide down instead.

People have reported being able to control their recoil easier in CS:GO with a higher framerate, as well as having better hit registration. That is a little tougher to prove, so I'm not really going to touch that. There's no downside to uncapping my frame rate so I just take their word for it.