amd physx vs nvidia physx

wiki

Hello guys

I want to know that with amd gpu would I get the same experience of gaming physx like nvidia`s advanced physx? I mean will there be a visual difference between these two brands?

Regards

I don't think you can get physx on amd

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

AMD doesn't have PhysX. AMD hardware can run PhysX, but it'll go on the CPU instead. With an NVIDIA card(provided it supports it), your GPU will do the PhysX processing. Most likely, you will not notice a visual difference in terms of graphics if you were truly playing the game. You might notice an FPS difference, but it'll probably be small.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

yeah i saw a diffrance and  amd uses cpu physx, 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I don't think you can get physx on amd

I saw a video amd vs nvidia of Elric and he told us in it that we can do it. It would just use CPU instead of dedicated chip like nvidia.

Technically AMD does have physics called Tress FX

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Technically AMD does have physics called Tress FX

He means PhysX. Not physics. Yes, AMD hardware can process physics(obviously). But it's not TressFX. That's for hair physics. Not general physics.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

He means PhysX. Not physics. Yes, AMD hardware can process physics(obviously). But it's not TressFX. That's for hair physics. Not general physics.

Physx is an nvidia branded Physics engine formerly Ageia. TressFX is Physics but AMD just implemented the Physics on Laura's hair only in Tomb Raider.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Physx is an nvidia branded Physics engine formerly Ageia. TressFX is Physics but AMD just implemented the Physics on Laura's hair only in Tomb Raider.

Currently it's only used for hair. I'm sure it could be applied to other areas. Don't see why not. It'd be great if it were applied to other areas. Oh and *Lara's* :P

This is what Tech Powerup has to say on the matter: "The technology, as predicted, works to create realistic hair rendering and physics." I'm not sure how to interpret this statement. Are they talking about hair rendering and hair physics? Or just general physics? After that statement, they said this: "but we imagine it could be applied to foliage and hopefully, furry donuts as well."

Look at Borderlands 2 with an AMD video card with driver hacks for physX vs Nvidia physX and you will see which is better.  There are other examples on Youtube where it shows why when buying Nvidia you get to play games the way they were meant to be played ...... Nvidia !

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

PhysX can only be GPU accelerated using an Nvidia card, but the effects will be the same no matter what it's just how fast it will go. So with an Nvidia card you can turn the physics up and get more effects at a better framerate, in theory.

I saw a video amd vs nvidia of Elric and he told us in it that we can do it. It would just use CPU instead of dedicated chip like nvidia.

I dont trust a single thing that man says, i hate him so much there is just something about him so i respectfully leave him over in the corner and ignore everything he says.

And yes but i hear tressfx isnt as matured as physx.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

SSE CPU Physx & X87 GPU Physx ... They are the same but one runs better than the other. I could go into which one runs better and why allot more but apparently bad mouthing nvidia is a no no around here even if quantified and legit LOL.

And yes but i hear tressfx isnt as matured as physx.

They both suck. Physics by Havok and etc ... are much better because they don't have the performance hit like AMD and nvidia versions. I mean look at the Physics in BFBC2 and BF3 they are way better than anything from nvidia and it does not make the game slow down to a crawl.

They both suck. Physics by Havok and etc ... are much better because they don't have the performance hit like AMD and nvidia versions. I mean look at the Physics in BFBC2 and BF3 they are way better than anything from nvidia and it does not make the game slow down to a crawl.

I play BL2 with no problem and have PhysX set to high and on the GPU. I also have FXAA on high enabled along with the highest details enabled.

Nvidia PhysX vill run better and smoother on Nvidia cards, but can also run on AMD, on the cpu, but it will make a big difference in framerates, i got half the FPS in Metro Last Light when i changed the PhysX processor from the gpu to cpu, so you may wanna look into a dedicated PhysX card to go along with your AMD one, note you will need hacked drivers.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Nvidia PhysX vill run better and smoother on Nvidia cards, but can also run on AMD, on the cpu, but it will make a big difference in framerates, i got half the FPS in Metro Last Light when i changed the PhysX processor from the gpu to cpu, so you may wanna look into a dedicated PhysX card to go along with your AMD one, note you will need hacked drivers.

There's a good article on why Physx is slower on the CPU than on the GPU. You got to think though if GPU Physics engines were the best than it would be in much more games right.

There's a good article on why Physx is slower on the CPU than on the GPU. You got to think though if GPU Physics engines were the best than it would be in much more games right.

Much like DX11.

Much like DX11.

Well that's another ball of wax but the reason for that is because Consoles run DX9 hardware.

Well that's another ball of wax but the reason for that is because Consoles run DX9 hardware.

That's not a reason. Battlefield 3 runs on consoles and PCs and has DX11(for PCs). Sorry, that's a terrible reason.

That's not a reason. Battlefield 3 runs on consoles and PCs and has DX11(for PCs). Sorry, that's a terrible reason.

Well other games have patched in DX11 as well but with BF3 being one of the few examples in where the game developer actual gave the PC some love even though it still was a console port. When the new consoles come out is when we will be seeing almost every new game that comes out with DX11.

Well other games have patched in DX11 as well but with BF3 being one of the few examples in where the game developer actual gave the PC some love even though it still was a console port.

Batman Arkham City also has (terrible) DX11 support. Again, it's just not a very good reason. So, the idea that if GPU-based physics was better than CPU-based physics, it'd be used more is false.

I saw an article on physx and when you moved the physx to CPU, the CPU usage doesn't change at all. I think Nvidia purposely gimped Physx on CPU, right now its not a "cpu is slower" issue, its a "Nvidia is a dick" issue.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I saw an article on physx and when you moved the physx to CPU, the CPU usage doesn't change at all. I think Nvidia purposely gimped Physx on CPU, right now its not a "cpu is slower" issue, its a "Nvidia is a dick" issue.

PhysX isn't always implemented properly too.

Batman Arkham City also has (terrible) DX11 support. Again, it's just not a very good reason. So, the idea that if GPU-based physics was better than CPU-based physics, it'd be used more is false.

Well your not quantified. You also do not have a real clear understanding outside of your personal opinion on just exactly how and why Physx operates they way that it does and that's ok cause most people don't.