1075T upgrade to i5 or i7?

Hi guys,

I am looking for some experienced feedback..

I am looking to switch to intel today. I currently have a 1075T.

My question is, is it worth it to go to i7 4970k, or to an i5 4690k.

This rig is used primarily for gaming, but I would like it to be at least 3 years future proof.

I already have some components that I am not replacing atm, such as a 280x Toxic / 8BG ram / SSD. This is purely a CPU future-proof question.

PS. The difference in the price doesn't worry me that much, just don't want to waste money if it's completely redundant.

The only reason I am looking at replacing the CPU and switching to intel, is some games are struggling as of late, DayZ, BF4, WoW etc.

This is a single monitor build and really looking to play 1080p.

Thank you :D

in a rig used mainly for gaming, you will hardly see a performance increase between the i5, and the i7. maybe 3-5fps difference, and even then its within margin of error. Go for the i5 unless you plan on doing more cpu intensive applications such as video editing / rendering where you could actually use the hyperthreading. 

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

i5 4690k will suffice, if you have limitless pockets, get the i7, but if they are not that deep, the i5 will be coolbeans.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Thanks for the input. I can get the i7 for $120 more AUS. It didn't seem like an unreasonable jump tbh.

Do you think either of these 2 CPU's will give a gaming performace increase over the 1075T?

Thanks for the input. I can get the i7 for $120 more AUS. It didn't seem like an unreasonable jump tbh.

Do you think either of these 2 CPU's will give a gaming performace increase over the 1075T?

It's going to really depend on the game. Whether it's more depend on the the gpu or the cpu.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Let's say it's a CPU intensive game, as that's the component i'm looking to upgrade.

Let's say it's a CPU intensive game, as that's the component i'm looking to upgrade.

yes it will play cpu intensive games much better such as mmorpg for example...i personaly upgraded from fx8320@4.6ghz to i7-4770k and in some game the difference is quite noticeable...but i run a gtx780 which is a more powerful gpu...but if you game a lot its worth it to get a fast and strong core cpu for peace of mind and great performance imho.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yes it will play cpu intensive games much better such as mmorpg for example...i personaly upgraded from fx8320@4.6ghz to i7-4770k and in some game the difference is quite noticeable...but i run a gtx780 which is a more powerful gpu...but if you game a lot its worth it to get a fast and strong core cpu for peace of mind and great performance imho.

Thank you for your opinion. I am leaning towards the i7 as I play MMO's, BF series a lot, and the money isn't really an issue (thank you wife for the birthday upgrade ;) ). I think having a stronger CPU now, will benefit me more as I can upgrade the GPU a few times in the future.

Please let me know if my thought process is completely off and I'm making a bad choice in doing such.

Thank you for your opinion. I am leaning towards the i7 as I play MMO's, BF series a lot, and the money isn't really an issue (thank you wife for the birthday upgrade ;) ). I think having a stronger CPU now, will benefit me more as I can upgrade the GPU a few times in the future.

Please let me know if my thought process is completely off and I'm making a bad choice in doing such.

i think the same, i like to upgrade gpu every year and a half or so but cpu and motherboard should last at least 3 years and more imo...it is said that games are going to use more threads in the near future, watchdogs is a perfect example of a game that runs many threads, star citizen has been confirmed to do so as well...so imho if you aim for maximum longevity and you can afford an i7-4790k i'd go for it!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This rig is used primarily for gaming, but I would like it to be at least 3 years future proof.

I already have some components that I am not replacing atm, such as a 280x Toxic / 8BG ram / SSD. This is purely a CPU future-proof question.

Sorry to tell you but this really doesn't exist I'm afraid, as much as we'd like it too. Technology moves too fast, 3 years is an age as fast as technology advancement goes.

Out of curiosity, do you overclock your 1075T?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Sorry to tell you but this really doesn't exist I'm afraid, as much as we'd like it too. Technology moves too fast, 3 years is an age as fast as technology advancement goes.

Out of curiosity, do you overclock your 1075T?

He didn't said he wanted to futureproof his CPU forever!! he said 3 years...and that is totaly possible. I'm quite confident that and overclocked core i7-4790K will still run games at maximum settings in 3 years from now, easy. Especially with the coming of directx12 and better multi-threading,low-level hardware acces API to allow more CPU calls...the need for such strong CPU in regards to gaming will be long gone.

He didn't said he wanted to futureproof his CPU forever!! he said 3 years...and that is totaly possible. I'm quite confident that and overclocked core i7-4790K will still run games at maximum settings in 3 years from now, easy. Especially with the coming of directx12 and better multi-threading,low-level hardware acces API to allow more CPU calls...the need for such strong CPU in regards to gaming will be long gone.

There isn't a need for strong CPU's in games currently, let alone in the future..

An overclocked 4790k will perform the exact same as a non overclocked 4790k. It's GPU dependant above a point. That's why lots of people recommend getting an i5 for gaming and spending the money you save on a better GPU. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

There isn't a need for strong CPU's in games currently, let alone in the future..

An overclocked 4790k will perform the exact same as a non overclocked 4790k. It's GPU dependant above a point. That's why lots of people recommend getting an i5 for gaming and spending the money you save on a better GPU.

Yes but then there are the folks out there who like me and like we've mentionned already likes to make sure they upgrade to a very strong CPU that is ''somewhat'' future-proof so that they can concentrate on the best gaming experience throughout while simply upgrading their GPU.

To follow your logic, you have more money to spend on the best graphics card you can afford when you don't have to replace your CPU and motherboard every 2 years... :)

Yes but then there are the folks out there who like me and like we've mentionned already likes to make sure they upgrade to a very strong CPU that is ''somewhat'' future-proof so that they can concentrate on the best gaming experience throughout while simply upgrading their GPU.

To follow your logic, you have more money to spend on the best graphics card you can afford when you don't have to replace your CPU and motherboard every 2 years... :)

Somewhat but not actually future proof. Nothing in the tech world is. 

Your last sentence doesn't really add up. 

I have decided to go with the i7, this may be a waste and I appreciate everyone's input. At the end of the day, to me, I felt more justified spending a little extra on a CPU that MIGHT be a little better for games in the next few years. It may not, and I have taken this into account. It's a gamble and one that may not pay off, but hey, it just well may in games if they use more threads wisely in the future. :)

Feel free to flame me if my logic is flawed of course.