Display driver crashes (R9 290)

My system specs:

FX 8120 processor
ASRock 970 Pro3 Mobo
8Gb 1333Mhz memory (its a limit for mobo)
750w 80+bronze psu (Aerocool templarius 750w)
Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce (@947-1250)
  I have my R9 290 for about a month. Problem appeared two weeks ago when i was playing BF4 with Mantle. Now if i'm playing BF4 with mantle more then 10-20mins it will freeze so i can only "end task" it. If i exit from BF4 before it happened then my display driver crashes (like on the first picture) and i can only press restart button on the chassis.
  I tried to install/reinstall latest drivers, OS (win8.1/7 SP1), make power limit higher in Afterburner. It looked like the problem was in mantle (BF4 and all other games ran normally with DX11), but then i decided to stresstest my GPU in Kombustor. I saw some green and red lines on my screen (which normally mean that driver will crash after 2-3 seconds), but they just disappeared. Right after that when i clicked on the video icon in youtube display driver crashed again (second picture).
I was running my GPU @stock when it happened and it never runs hotter than 81C (Kombustor - 78max).
So the question is wheres the problem? I mean which piece of hardware? Cause it appeared when i was just playing BF4- i didnt update or download anything.

post-121906-0-26989600-1408782772_thumb.

post-121906-0-17012600-1408782775_thumb.

Clean the gpu if it helps? RMA the gpu as a last resort if everything else you tried didn't work.

Change settings back to stock if it also helps.

That is some really pretty snow.

Do it go away after you restart or is the snow permanent?

If it's permanent then I would say its the GPU. Probably if it's not permanent also. But if it isn't then just leave the power limit alone when OCing.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

Welcome to the forum! :)

Oh, this was happening to my 290 too.

I solved it by turning the memory down to 1200MHz. If that doesn't work either, still underclock the memory 1200MHz and increase the power limit by like 5%.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Bubblewhale, its not. After restarting pc it looks ok untill next stress situation.
xNeon, I'm NOT OCing
Tnx, Mateyyy :) Actualy when running Kombustor, Afterburner shows 947Mhz Coreclock, 150Mhz Memory (in 3Gb memory burn too) - i dont think that memory frequency matters.

Actually i think that it happens in EACH GPU stress situation, but due to CPU bottleneck only Mantle and Kombustor can stress GPU enough...

I' not quite sure if this is the same thing, but I'm having a similar issue with my 780. If I leave the GPU @ stock it would boost up to 1149MHz and it's unstable as hell because the drivers would just crash during games

What I did to not lose any performance is I crancked up the voltage offset to maximum which gave GPU boost 2.0 more headroom (I guess) and as I kept adding voltage to it, it also overclocked itself. I found it being stable at 1134MHz, and even had headroom for a +400 Memory clock offset

First of all, don't ever run Kombustor-its a card killer.  Killed my brand new MSI GTX 770 Lightning.

Second, your GPU might have been factory overclocked too high if it is unstable at stock settings, which is grounds for RMA/Return.  If you are within the 30 day threshhold, return it before you try to RMA.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I' not quite sure if this is the same thing, but I'm having a similar issue with my 780. If I leave the GPU @ stock it would boost up to 1149MHz and it's unstable as hell because the drivers would just crash during games

Unstable factory overclock?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Unstable factory overclock?

Yes, but I 'kind of' fixed it, reread comment

Yes, but I 'kind of' fixed it, reread comment

Ok, so your card was an unstable factory overclock, but you fixed it by overclocking the card--adding voltage, which still gave you room for more Mhz and Memory OC.

OP, try the same thing if you want to OC your card, if you don't want to OC your card, then you do have grounds for replacement.

Ok, so your card was an unstable factory overclock, but you fixed it by overclocking the card--adding voltage, which still gave you room for more Mhz and Memory OC.

OP, try the same thing if you want to OC your card, if you don't want to OC your card, then you do have grounds for replacement.

Don't know if this goes the same for AMD, because GPU boost 2.0

Oh I have to mention, I did a GPU clock offset of -35MHz, if I didn't do this, it would go up to about 1180MHz something

Faceman, my gpu runs at stock speeds for r9 290 - 947/1250 core/memory. And i used kombustor to bypass cpu bottleneck (dx11 games cant stress gpu due to weak cpu). Also Mantle almost doesnt care about cpu power and they both (BF4 with Mantle and Kombustor) cause the same problem.