adware problem

atlasgamer777

im not sure where this should go so I thought it would be best here. I am having a problem with an adware popup thing that keeps bringing up google chrome windows of random sites but it doesn't appear on my task bar. ive ran windows defender twice and it hasn't gotten wid of it. help me please.

OS is windows 8

the computer is a gateway eg70 if that matters.

Go to ninite.com , select Malwarebytes from the security part and run the Malwarebytes deep scan. This should work.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Go to ninite.com , select Malwarebytes from the security part and run the Malwarebytes deep scan. This should work.

Or just go to Malwarebytes.org?

Malwarebytes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

alright I ran it and it went on for about 20 minutes then it just closed. does it automatically delete the malware or did I do something wrong?

malwarebutes DID NOT work. still having the problem. im getting angry because it is really lagging my computer and making everything difficult. anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like it might be either an installed program (which don't always get flagged by Anti-malware programs), or, an add-on. Since you're using Chrome, go to chrome://extensions and disable/remove (preferably the latter) any extensions you do not recognize. Make sure to check the add-ons and setting of all your browsers to make sure none have a rogue add-on/extension/search bar/homepage setting.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Check the icon target properties, sometimes this gets hacked by adware. Best thing is check running resources and isolate it via msconfig. Give that a go.

Sounds like it might be either an installed program (which don't always get flagged by Anti-malware programs), or, an add-on. Since you're using Chrome, go to chrome://extensions and disable/remove (preferably the latter) any extensions you do not recognize. Make sure to check the add-ons and setting of all your browsers to make sure none have a rogue add-on/extension/search bar/homepage setting.

1. i don't actually use chrome that is just what the adware is bringing up.

2. I uninstalled chromeso that shoulve just taken the extensions with it

Check the icon target properties, sometimes this gets hacked by adware. Best thing is check running resources and isolate it via msconfig. Give that a go.

where is this located. is it I chrome or what? thanks for the help anyways. this has become so frustrating that im about to either smash my pc into the wall or wipe the harddrive

Get Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Anti-Spyware, the combination will keep any dangerous file away as long as you do your due diligence.

go to your browser settings and change your homepage and any other pages to google or back to whatever you want your homepage to be.  set your default search engine back to google or whichever you prefer.  go into control panel/ add remove programs and look for anything that looks suspicious and if it does google it.  something like snapdo (the one i was having problems with) and if its not important uninstall it.  when you are downloading new things make sure to read all the boxes that are checked.  sometimes it will sneak programs on your computer because you left some boxes checked.  sneaky bastards  

If you can't get Malwarebytes to work, the program could be closing it. Try Windows Defender instead. Both with full scan. 

You can also use AdwCleaner to clean the browsers.

You could also use rkill to kill the program disabling Malwarebytes.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Get Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Anti-Spyware, the combination will keep any dangerous file away as long as you do your due diligence.

go to your browser settings and change your homepage and any other pages to google or back to whatever you want your homepage to be.  set your default search engine back to google or whichever you prefer.  go into control panel/ add remove programs and look for anything that looks suspicious and if it does google it.  something like snapdo (the one i was having problems with) and if its not important uninstall it.  when you are downloading new things make sure to read all the boxes that are checked.  sometimes it will sneak programs on your computer because you left some boxes checked.  sneaky bastards  

If you can't get Malwarebytes to work, the program could be closing it. Try Windows Defender instead. Both with full scan. 

You can also use AdwCleaner to clean the browsers.

You could also use rkill to kill the program disabling Malwarebytes.

ive already done mawarbytes and got it to run fully. ive done windows defender and mcaffee. I have not tried Adwcleaner but will.

So you using IE or Firefox then ? If so have you tried resetting/restoring to default