Steam Key Question

guas5373

I have a question about steam codes. I am planning to trade an extra Metro 2033 key that I had around as I already own it. However, I checked to see if it still worked in the steam menu by pressing the "activate a product on steam" and entering the code. However, it said that i already own the product I was trying to activate and then proceeded to install it as I do not have it on my computer. The thing is, in my attempt to verify the key, did I accidently activate it, making it impossible to trade it?

No I think Steam prevents you from doing that, you could try to right click on the game's name and see if you can get the CD-Key.

did I accidently activate it, making it impossible to trade it?

Probably not, but you won't know until you try.

No, it just was like:" hey dummy you already own it, here ill install that for you" :)

No you didn't activate it. It is still a valid key.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

dont know.... joke?

And the joke is that you found it funny :P

As of right now there is no official way to verify a steam key without activating it.

The only way to verify is to make sure you OWN the game and already have it in your library. If you already own the game and you enter the code, it will tell you that you already own the game and install it if uninstalled. Your key will not be used in that situation.

If you do NOT own the game and you enter the key, it auto activates without giving you an option and you will lose the key.

PS. do not trust any steam key validation tools they are all fake and created to steal keys.

An official Valve key verification would certainly be nice but at this moment I do not think one exists.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

As of right now there is no official way to verify a steam key without activating it.

The only way to verify is to make sure you OWN the game and already have it in your library. If you already own the game and you enter the code, it will tell you that you already own the game and install it if uninstalled. Your key will not be used in that situation.

If you do NOT own the game and you enter the key, it auto activates without giving you an option and you will lose the key.

PS. do not trust any steam key validation tools they are all fake and created to steal keys.

An official Valve key verification would certainly be nice but at this moment I do not think one exists.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Now I can trade it.  :)