I built a computer for my friend, but the performance is nowhere near expected!

that will defeat the purpose of the APU

the iGPU in the A10 is like a 250/X performance

not that far from the 260X 

Who cares if it defeats the purpose

40 more fps is an insane amount for a minimal cost difference

I don't think anyone was arguing that a discrete card of about the r7 260x or higher would give better performance. Of course it would. The original question was why this system wasn't performing as it should be, and a slow, small amount of RAM in an APU based system is the most likely culprit.

Great, so let's find the best solution?

New Gpu> Upgraded RAM

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

You don't know how hard everyone else is "loling" at you right now.

Watch this video. You will actually see the difference. 

And as for your GPU remark, that's not the point. The original post is asking why it does not perform the same. That's the answer. RAM. Read the question, and get your facts right before you start throwing remarks around.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

That APU loves RAM, buy a higher speed kit at 8GB

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

That APU loves RAM, buy a higher speed kit at 8GB

Amen!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Who cares if it defeats the purpose

40 more fps is an insane amount for a minimal cost difference

Great, so let's find the best solution?

New Gpu> Upgraded RAM

You're a bit of a thickie aren't you? HE DOESN'T WANT TO UPGRADE THE GPU. He asked why his system was running like a brick, people solved it. DONE. Stop stating the obvious, everybody knows that a dedicated GPU will work better than an APU. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT. You're giving wrong advice at start, and now you're not even trying to stay on topic.

Please, read the original post. Budget build, I doubt he can/wants to buy a GPU.

And to OP, upgrade the RAM, like everyone said. Sorry for quoting OP.

Hello,

I recently built a budget gaming pc for my friend:

-snip-

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

The other side of it is that 8GB of ram from 4GB will also give him some performance increases in day to day use, and, depending on how DDR4 adoption goes, could last him another build.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Yeah but he is using a 32bit OS... So 4GB max RAM and even if he did get 8GB or more, or waited for DDR4, DDR4 would be pointless as he would need to wait ages for a new APU supported MB that supports DDR4.

The other side of it is that 8GB of ram from 4GB will also give him some performance increases in day to day use, and, depending on how DDR4 adoption goes, could last him another build.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Yeah but he is using a 32bit OS... So 4GB max RAM and even if he did get 8GB or more, or waited for DDR4, DDR4 would be pointless as he would need to wait ages for a new APU supported MB that supports DDR4.

I didn't catch that it was a 32 bit system. Most windows liscenses work for either 64 or 32, so he could probably reinstall and fix that if he wanted to.

I wasn't saying he should wait to buy RAM until DDR4 is a thing. I was just saying that there's a possibility that if it's adoption is slow enough, his next computer might use DDR3 as well, and he could continue to use the RAM he purchased for another computer.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC