Windows install from 7 to 8.1 - laptop black screen, displays with external monitor.....

Go to solution Solved by majiinpride,

## 

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine needs some help. He tried to install windows 8.1 pro on his laptop from windows 7 64-bit. It now shows his dell load screen and the windows 8.1 load screen but immediately goes black after this.

Laptop info: i5, 4gb ram and is model is a dell inspiron 15r N5110

I plugged it in through hdmi on my spare monitor and it displays as it should and everything operates fine. I installed his latest graphics drivers and verified that there were no updates for his laptop from dell's website.

HELP: Any ideas?

See the thing about laptops is that if they don't have drivers for say Windows 8.1, you don't upgrade it to Windows 8.1...

If the specs on the page are the same as his, redownload the drivers from Nvidia and for Intel too.

Alright, just did that for the intel graphics driver and the issue still exists. Any other drivers that would be causing this to happen? Or what is the next step we should take?

Note: the laptop only has intel graphics no other gpu.

That worked! I updated the bios before but I guess I got the wrong update or something. This time it worked! Thanks for the help!