Google Chrome Ram Usage

mvitkun

I keep seeing people say that other browsers use less than chrome, I personally find this to be initially false but eventually true.

A few weeks ago I tried opening the same exact tabs in both Chrome and in Firefox, and both used more or less the same amount of ram.

The difference is when you keep the browser open for long periods of time.

Chrome seems to have some sort of problem releasing the ram allocated to it, and it just continues to cache more ram even when it is clearly unnecessary.

It seems like chrome has some huge memory leak.

I've had times where chrome alone will use all 8GB of ram, with maybe one or two tabs open, I'll then reopen chrome and total ram cached will be down from 8GB to 2GB.

Initially however when you open the tabs in Chrome it does not seem allocate more ram to itself than most other browsers would.

I'd like to see other people vote on their experience with chrome.

Do you notice that Chrome, at least upon the opening of the tabs (this includes loading the content), does not consume more ram than other browsers, or do you on the contrary find that chrome uses more ram than other browsers regardless of how long it's in use?

Or does your experience differ entirely, where chrome uses less ram initially and in the long run?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

yea, chrome tends to use half of your ram for some reason :P when i had 8gb it used near 4gb, now i have 16 and it uses close to 8...

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

yea, chrome tends to use half of your ram for some reason :P when i had 8gb it used near 4gb, now i have 16 and it uses close to 8...

No, I have 8Gb and it brings my usage up to 8GB when kept open for long periods of time.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I use it for my secondary gmail acc. And that's it. It's way to heavy.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

mine doesnt use much unless i have 10 youtube tabs and a bunch of amazon, ebay, and a bunch of other tabs open

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The only reason I use chrome over firefox is that I'm a heavy youtube user and I can't stand flash, so since the implementations of html 5 for the other browsers isn't complete I don't really have a choice. I was considering going back to firefox or using opera and putting up with flash, but i haven't decided yet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Firefox seems to have the issue of using more ram the longer it's open. at least for me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Firefox works perfectly for me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Chrome makes everything a separate process and duplicates the cache to make it self pretty much bullet proof from crashing which is why Chrome will always use more RAM.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Mine uses about 800MB with a few tabs open and like 1.5GB with about 30 tabs open.

Then again... I use a different Chromium based browser.

Chrome makes everything a separate process and duplicates the cache to make it self pretty much bullet proof from crashing which is why Chrome will always use more RAM.

Like I said the reason for this post was that my experience differs from the way people usually describe chrome's resource management, I wanted people to consider whether their problem with chrome was its long term resource management or the initial and long term resource management.

In my experience it uses similar amounts of ram to Firefox upon opening the tabs, and over time the amount of ram being used to keep the browser open, regardless of the amount of tabs or the resources required for the tabs to be kept open, continues to increase until the browser is restarted.

That I could have one or two tabs open and they could take up 8GB if the browser is kept open long enough.

Linus Sebastian said:

Mine uses about 800MB with a few tabs open and like 1.5GB with about 30 tabs open.

Then again... I use a different Chromium based browser.

No need to be specific, it's not like there are a dozen chromium based browsers, I'm sure everyone knows which one you're talking about.

Google Chrome

Opera[25]

Amigo

Torch browser

Comodo Dragon

QIP Surf

Epic

Nichrome

SRWare Iron

Uran Browser

Yandex browser

RockMelt

Linus Sebastian said:

No need to be specific, it's not like there are a dozen chromium based browsers, I'm sure everyone knows which one you're talking about.

Google Chrome

Opera[25]

Amigo

Torch browser

Comodo Dragon

QIP Surf

Epic

Nichrome

SRWare Iron

Uran Browser

Yandex browser

RockMelt

I know :D

I use Comodo dragon.

Mine behaves fairly well.

It uses about 2gb with 5 or so tabs.

It can use a fair bit if I have like 30 tabs open.

But what do I care? I have 32GB of RAM :D

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I use maxthon.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Mine behaves fairly well.

It uses about 2gb with 5 or so tabs.

It can use a fair bit if I have like 30 tabs open.

But what do I care? I have 32GB of RAM :D

And the amount it uses doesn't increase if it remains open for long periods of time ? 

Linus Sebastian said:

I keep seeing people say that other browsers use less than chrome, I personally find this to be initially false but eventually true.

A few weeks ago I tried opening the same exact tabs in both Chrome and in Firefox, and both used more or less the same amount of ram.

The difference is when you keep the browser open for long periods of time.

Chrome seems to have some sort of problem releasing the ram allocated to it, and it just continues to cache more ram even when it is clearly unnecessary.

It seems like chrome has some huge memory leak.

I've had times where chrome alone will use all 8GB of ram, with maybe one or two tabs open, I'll then reopen chrome and total ram cached will be down from 8GB to 2GB.

Initially however when you open the tabs in Chrome it does not seem allocate more ram to itself than most other browsers would.

I'd like to see other people vote on their experience with chrome.

Do you notice that Chrome, at least upon the opening of the tabs (this includes loading the content), does not consume more ram than other browsers, or do you on the contrary find that chrome uses more ram than other browsers regardless of how long it's in use?

Or does your experience differ entirely, where chrome uses less ram initially and in the long run?

I've recently build a new PC and intalled Chrome, it asked me if I wanted to keep it running in the background when I pressed to close button. It never asked me this before, maybe that's the reason.

And the amount it uses doesn't increase if it remains open for long periods of time ? 

Only a little bit, maybe +500MB or so.

I think it depends what I have open and what extensions / plugins are being used. 

EDIT: but then again, itunes used to be a lot worse (about 3 years ago). Leaving that program open for a long period of time made it use up over 1GB of RAM.

Over 1GB of RAM just to play music was BS. That's one of the reasons why I switched to foobar.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

For me, Chrome just in general uses up more RAM than the other browsers and continues to grow until i hit about half RAM usage afterwhich it just stops growing.  I don't really mind it, I have plenty of RAM, its just like Vista, don't use it if you don't have lots of RAM to spare.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I use up to 5gb's of ram in chrome.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

i'm using about 2.5 gigs of 8 gigs of ram at the moment with chrome. That said i'm at 88% of ram usage.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

i instantly quit using chrome on my laptop when i learned about how it drains battery...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)