Got a new lenovo t540p with an intel 730 ssd for $400. Good deal or bad on my part?

Gung Pow Chicken

Long story short I was browsing a pawn shop and a guy walks in and is trying to sell a lenovo the pawnshop didn't offer the guy what he wanted. So once he left the building I quickly fallowed him and offerent him 400 which was 100 more than what the pawn shop was offering. He took the deal which i thought was a bit odd seeing as the thing is nearly brand new. So once I get it home I decide to take a look at the hdd and see what was in it because my computer said ony a 480gb which is kinda low for a computer this new. I open the thing up and it has a 730, so I look on lenovo's site and this thing was purchased 2 weeks ago. So I'm kinda worried that it might be stolen, what should I do? Is there a way that you guys know of for me to find out who the original buyer was? I'm stocked because this thing is awesome but If it was me I would want the person to return it. Any ideas?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

My first though was that it is either stolen or this guy is extremely technologically challenged. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Call the police? They will usually check for you if it is stolen or not.

That 730 SSD costs more than the entire laptop...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Call the police? They will usually check for you if it is stolen or not.

That 730 SSD costs more than the entire laptop...

I know that what worried me, who in their right mind would even take the thing to a pawn shop. Nice laptop and retails for like $1,300 without the ssd. I'm just going to bring it down to the police station, that way if anyone calls on it they can describe it and what not. 

I know that what worried me, who in their right mind would even take the thing to a pawn shop. Nice laptop and retails for like $1,300 without the ssd. I'm just going to bring it down to the police station, that way if anyone calls on it they can describe it and what not. 

Yup. Hopefully they pay you the $400 you gave that guy...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yup. Hopefully they pay you the $400 you gave that guy...

I hope

I hope

That would suck if they didn't. You were nice enough to not just keep it to yourself...

Spoiler

That would suck if they didn't. You were nice enough to not just keep it to yourself...

The only reason I wont it because how would I feel if someone stole mine, the point of the matter is I would they would return it also. 

The only reason I wont it because how would I feel if someone stole mine, the point of the matter is I would they would return it also.

Man u really are a great guy understanding others awesome bro

THE LITTLE DEVIL : i5 4690k on NOCTUA NHD15

Asus z97 sabertooth mark 2 

WD black 1TB & WD Green 2TB HDD, Samsung 840 Evo 240gb & Hyperx 240gb SSD 

RAM- Corsair vengence 16gb and hyperx fury 8gb

PSU-Seasonic sII 620 wtt power supply

PErPHERaLS: Logitech g403 mouse, Redgear cherry MX brown switches, Logitech gamepad f310,Cosmic byte XXL RGB mousepad 

Audio: SennheiserHD 558 and antlion mod mic

PHOnE: Realme 3 pro 

Man u really are a great guy understanding others awesome bro

In a way it hits home, when I went to defcon 21 I had someone steal my g75 and it sucked. So I know what this guy is going through, given he lost his data but atleast he will get his computer back.

Just be aware you arnt going to get your money back any time soon. But yes that ssd retails for more than what you paid.

Oh and of it is legit and you don't want the ssd let me know ;)

Just be aware you sent going to get your money back any time soon. But yes that ssd retails for more than what you paid.

I sent going?

Oh and of it is legit and you don't want the ssd let me know ;)

if I get to keep it I definitely want the ssd lol 

I sent going?

arnt <-- auto corrected.

if it's not stolen, sell it for parts and then buy another laptop with a nice SSD and you will have extra cashes in your pockets

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

if it's not stolen, sell it for parts and then buy another laptop with a nice SSD and you will have extra cashes in your pockets

I think it is, they found someone who is coming to look at it.

I asked that they at least have him provide the serial number but who knows if they will ask him or not. Him or Her I guess

I asked that they at least have him provide the serial number but who knows if they will ask him or not. Him or Her I guess

if they sold you a stolen laptop I think you can sue them for your money back. Most of the time they just leave the serial number on because most people don't check the serial number. If there's a serial number on there then they just assume it's legit. When they take it off then people get suspicious. And there's not much you can do with a serial number without getting the manufacturer or the cops involved so it's actually safer for thieves to leave it on there because nobody really looks at it.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

if they sold you a stolen laptop I think you can sue them for your money back. Most of the time they just leave the serial number on because most people don't check the serial number. If there's a serial number on there then they just assume it's legit. When they take it off then people get suspicious. And there's not much you can do with a serial number without getting the manufacturer or the cops involved so it's actually safer for thieves to leave it on there because nobody really looks at it.

My dad is friends with the owner of the pawn shop who I'm sure would let my use video footage if shit hit's the fan. Depending on if they say it was stolen during the day I work so they can go suck a dick. I just hope this doesn't backfire on me somehow. 

My dad is friends with the owner of the pawn shop who I'm sure would let my use video footage if shit hit's the fan. Depending on if they say it was stolen during the day I work so they can go suck a dick. I just hope this doesn't backfire on me somehow. 

if you legally bought it from a legal seller then nothing can happen to you.

the only thing that would happen is you would lose it without compensation. it would be up to the owner if they want to pay you back the 400 as a "reward"

if you legally bought it from a legal seller then nothing can happen to you.

I wouldn't call him a legal seller but for all I know he could have been the original owner. It's just a very fishy scenario, that's all. The only reason I'm attempting to find out if it's stolen is because this sort of thing has happened to me.

What happened?? :D

THE LITTLE DEVIL : i5 4690k on NOCTUA NHD15

Asus z97 sabertooth mark 2 

WD black 1TB & WD Green 2TB HDD, Samsung 840 Evo 240gb & Hyperx 240gb SSD 

RAM- Corsair vengence 16gb and hyperx fury 8gb

PSU-Seasonic sII 620 wtt power supply

PErPHERaLS: Logitech g403 mouse, Redgear cherry MX brown switches, Logitech gamepad f310,Cosmic byte XXL RGB mousepad 

Audio: SennheiserHD 558 and antlion mod mic

PHOnE: Realme 3 pro 

What happened?? :D

Yea I wanna know too!