Verizon Fios customer finds what "unlimited internet" is.

Verizon

FiOS finds the max to a "unlimited internet connection" when he got a call saying he used 77TB in ONE MONNTH!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH THATS CRAZY!!!!!

He was running this on his server's rack:

• A 1u server acting as router and VPN server with 4 1.5TB disks.
  • A 1u testing server with two 1.5TB disks.
  • A 2u server—formerly a "colo box"—with eight 750GB disks
  • A 4u Solaris/ZFS backup machine with 24 1TB disks
  • Another 4u server—houkouonchi's main server with 24 2TB disks and two 3u storage expansion units, each with 15 3TB disks.
  • A 2u "Windows/miscellaneous" server with eight 1TB disks
  • Two 2u uninterruptible power supplies
  • Another 4u Solaris/ZFS server for backups with 24 1TB disks

a pic of the rack is attached.

Using the internet connection was a WiFi Router, many P2P connections, Web hosting and other things than need 50TB-77TB/mo

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/fios-customer-discovers-the-limits-of-unlimited-data-77-tb-in-month/

"150 megabit business class connections to a 300 megabit downstream/65 megabit upstream residential plan in January (though he said he was getting 150 megabits upstream). "I only switched to residential simply because business pricing wasn't in line with residential anymore," he said. (Verizon prices the residential service at more than $200 a month for 300/65; business service for dual 150 megabit lines runs $340 a month, and 300 megabit service costs $259 a month.)

Since the switch, he's used nearly 200TB in bandwidth—an average of 50TB a month. However, traffic most months is in the 30TB range. That sort of bandwidth would cost thousands of dollars per month in most colocation facilities—with the 77TB peak month jumping into the tens of thousands based on pricing plans I looked at from a variety of hosting vendors." (from Arstechnica.com, link above)

post-6278-0-52917500-1369516251.jpg

~FRED

thats hilarious 50TB i dont think though am always downloading muvies, games and streaming ....I dont think I pass 1TB a month 

He's trying to get the most he could get out of his money. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I only reach 100-150GB/month :D. Luckily, all offers from our local ISP are unlimited (the only exception is one so low end that it's not even listed on their website). I think it's about time download limits went the way of upload limits...

Props to that guy, hahahaha

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I have reached a maximum of 1TB(1021GB to be more precise), only on uTorrent. If you have transfer cap enabled on uTorrent it will show you the usage history for max 30days back. I have it set to 1500GB :D. Right now my last 30days upload+download usage is 624GB. Anyways unless I set up a server it will never go over 1500GB. (I have 100/100Mbps/11$-month)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

50TB? That's a LOT of pr0n

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I use the internet A LOT for streaming, downloads etc. I probably use a couple of hundred GB a month. Maybe not even that, but still... With my current connection, I can't even use 2TB a month as that's way beyond it's physical limits. WTF!?

I have reached a maximum of 1TB(1021GB to be more precise), only on uTorrent. If you have transfer cap enabled on uTorrent it will show you the usage history for max 30days back. I have it set to 1500GB :D. Right now my last 30days upload+download usage is 624GB. Anyways unless I set up a server it will never go over 1500GB. (I have 100/100Mbps/11$-month)

WHERE DO YOU GET 100/100 FOR $11, I get 60/15 (Bell Fibre Op) as a standalone service and pay $98/month

77TB... wow! :O :D

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

WHERE DO YOU GET 100/100 FOR $11, I get 60/15 (Bell Fibre Op) as a standalone service and pay $98/month

Ah in a really nice country called Romania. ISP - RCS&RDS. Btw it's unlimited bandwidth but I wonder if they would give me a call if I could ever/somehow reach 50TB+.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

and here iam stuck with 1mb

fml

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I wish I had a rack like that ;)

Anyways, that's awesome, 77TB of data in a month, wow.

Then again Google goes through about 24 Petabytes of data a day in 2009.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

We have 250GB between me and ONE of my flatmates...the other one doesnt really use the net...But we can kill about 200GB if we are trying to download stuff...which is most of the time.

A month is too short for 50TB's of usage. Maybe if it was 1Gbs up and down...I could upload videos??? But I dont do that anyway.....sooooo, Nope.

i dont use 10GB/mo and i do WebHosting and Game servers. :P i pay the same amount he dues. 

~FRED

thats hilarious 50TB i dont think though am always downloading muvies, games and streaming ....I dont think I pass 1TB a month 

i might use 50TB in my life

He's trying to get the most he could get out of his money. :)

he did, he has to pay $100 more now tho.

unless youtube started streaming uncompressed 4k video,I doubt that I could hit 50TB.

i dont think you could watch that much YT at 4K for 50TB

Wow.. It's like running an all-you-can eat buffet outlet and then a fat guy comes along and gobbles everything XD

it is

50TB? That's a LOT of pr0n

yes it is

77TB... wow! :o :D

I KNOW!

~FRED

I dunno, between renting movies, watching youtube videos, downloading games, and the like, I probably use close to 1TB a month but my ISP doesn't have a bandwidth cap so I've never bothered to look nor do I have any idea how... plus it's spread out across 3 computers.

But 77TB in one month... good god...

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I'm just trying to think of how it would be possible t use 50TB a month or 77TB for that matter!

Let's say I download 10GB a day. That's A LOT... In a month, that'd be 300GB. Nope.

Ok, let's say we're downloading the equivalent of the entirety of Battlefield 3 every day... That's 38GB/day, so 1.14TB/month....

Uhm... WTF is this guy doing!?!? Let's say that you're some madman who streams everything from their house to everything else. That'd be, let's say 100GB down and 100GB up per day. So 200GB/day = 6TB/month.

I give up on trying to think how you can use 50TB+ a month. Just... No.

Note: For 200GB data usage per day, you'd need 20Mbps total bandwidth minimum. Jeez. I barely get a quarter of that!