Are computer monitors immersive?

-TesseracT-

I'm currently using a tv for gaming, but I've been wanting to get something new for long. I'm torn between a projector and a monitor, maybe a 21:9 one. What I hear about projectors are that they're immersive. But monitors are much better in terms of picture quality, latency and other things. Could a monitor provide an immersive experience as well? What about 21:9 monitors, are they more immersive?

I'm currently using a tv for gaming, but I've been wanting to get something new for long. I'm torn between a projector and a monitor, maybe a 21:9 one. What I hear about projectors are that they're immersive. But monitors are much better in terms of picture quality, latency and other things. Could a monitor provide an immersive experience as well? What about 21:9 monitors, are they more immersive?

I find my 27" 1440p monitor immersive, it fills enough of my vision that I am drawn in. The added graphical fidelity helps too. I do not find TVs immersive as the screen is so far away, and projectors have their downsides too!

21:9 is immersive but not well supported, 3 monitor surround can be very immersive too with its own issues 

In 12 months we should all have Oculus Rifts though :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

How can projector be immersive they have HUGE input lags most of the time.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

people said the same thing 12 months ago ;)

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Yes but some don't.

and terrible contrast and colours

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

and terrible contrast and colours

That's the HUGE problem.

Yes but some don't.

Terrible contrast/brightness and colours are the main one, also low resolution as even if you had a 4k one you are stretching it to like 80"

1440p I find THE best gaming experiance 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I find my 27" 1440p monitor immersive, it fills enough of my vision that I am drawn in. The added graphical fidelity helps too. I do not find TVs immersive as the screen is so far away, and projectors have their downsides too!

21:9 is immersive but not well supported, 3 monitor surround can be very immersive too with its own issues 

21:9 isn't as badly supported as you might think, the only thing I can't play in 21:9 is AC 4 and Metal gear rising (damn console port) but I find the amazing colour to still pull me into the game (I don't even notice the black bezel's either.

The only problem I have with 21:9 is that youtube doesn't support it and a lot of online streaming services will have the black bezel but it's still very worth it IMO. movies are amazing and gaming is simply fantastic for me.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

21:9 isn't as badly supported as you might think, the only thing I can't play in 21:9 is AC 4 and Metal gear rising (damn console port) but I find the amazing colour to still pull me into the game (I don't even notice the black bezel's either.

The only problem I have with 21:9 is that youtube doesn't support it and a lot of online streaming services will have the black bezel but it's still very worth it IMO. movies are amazing and gaming is simply fantastic for me.

Yeah it is still a great experience (especially when it works) but I find black bars SUPER annoying, and it takes me out of the experiance

Just personal preference though

I would pass on the projectors as I have played on them before.  The question is how big vs how far away are you sitting.  An 84" TV might be huge but if I have to sit all the way across the room to view it correctly then it isn't really immersive.  Also, color and contrast are extremely important as in if the screen is huge but struggle to accurately make out the image then it becomes a distraction.

I personally game on 3x27" monitors.  Its not always perfect but sitting at my desk the monitors extent just a tad past my peripheral and I certainly have to say you feel like you are in the game. 

P.S. it drives my wife crazy because when I put my headphones on, I can completely ignore the world(including her)!!!   :D

people said the same thing 12 months ago ;)

And now we have DK2, they weren't wrong.

I would pass on the projectors as I have played on them before. The question is how big vs how far away are you sitting. An 84" TV might be huge but if I have to sit all the way across the room to view it correctly then it isn't really immersive. Also, color and contrast are extremely important as in if the screen is huge but struggle to accurately make out the image then it becomes a distraction.

I personally game on 3x27" monitors. Its not always perfect but sitting at my desk the monitors extent just a tad past my peripheral and I certainly have to say you feel like you are in the game.

P.S. it drives my wife crazy because when I put my headphones on, I can completely ignore the world(including her)!!! :D

I know that it's all about how close you sit in front of it, but I've heard that the further away the light source is, the better. I've also heard a lot of people saying that movies are more immersive on the big screen.

And now we have DK2, they weren't wrong.

we have the DK2, and only a handful of games that have support for it

I know that it's all about how close you sit in front of it, but I've heard that the further away the light source is, the better. I've also heard a lot of people saying that movies are more immersive on the big screen.

I can understand that and I do agree that I prefer watching movies on a big screen sitting on my couch.  If you are looking for something to do both gaming and movies and watching movies is very important to you then the big screen might be a good compromise.

For all out gaming I would never pick big screen over quality monitor, but this is all very much a prefence scenario.

Remember, if it is what you like most, then you can't be wrong.

Off topic: I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're a TesseracT fan. if so, hello fellow TesseracT fan!

on topic: I find projectors good for movies in the dark, and that's pretty much it. I use a 23" for my main monitor, and it's perfect for me. I would definitely go for a monitor of your preferred size and aspect ratio, as they're more useful in daytime environments.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

A 27'' 1440p screen can be very immersive. If I turn my secondary and tertiary monitors off and then turn the lights down it's pretty amazing. It fills a huge part of your vision and the rest is just dark. 21:9 would probably be even better, but it's not always supported and black bars are really annoying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

More than a handful, Star Citizen and War Thunder with Oculous seem amazing

it still gives people headaches and motion sickness, it still doesn't have AAA dev support and I've only heard of maybe 20% of those games.

still won't even enter the mainstream for another 18+ months

it still gives people headaches and motion sickness, it still doesn't have AAA dev support and I've only heard of maybe 20% of those games.

still won't even enter the mainstream for another 18+ months

People still get car sick, after how many years? and some games still do if you use different software, like battlefield 4.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

It depends on your distance, size, resolution, and how many monitors.

Mine is quite immersive... 

Off topic: I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're a TesseracT fan. if so, hello fellow TesseracT fan!

on topic: I find projectors good for movies in the dark, and that's pretty much it. I use a 23" for my main monitor, and it's perfect for me. I would definitely go for a monitor of your preferred size and aspect ratio, as they're more useful in daytime environments.

Hell yes, TesseracT is one of my favorite bands, amongst Animals as Leaders.

A 27'' 1440p screen can be very immersive. If I turn my secondary and tertiary monitors off and then turn the lights down it's pretty amazing. It fills a huge part of your vision and the rest is just dark. 21:9 would probably be even better, but it's not always supported and black bars are really annoying.

I was thinking that those black bars would get much darker with OLED screens in the future, am I right? So they may be a non-issue in the future.

I can understand that and I do agree that I prefer watching movies on a big screen sitting on my couch.  If you are looking for something to do both gaming and movies and watching movies is very important to you then the big screen might be a good compromise.

For all out gaming I would never pick big screen over quality monitor, but this is all very much a prefence scenario.

Remember, if it is what you like most, then you can't be wrong.

I was actually thinking about gaming about 80% of the time. But I might go with gaming on the monitor and watching movies on my tv, since I can lie down that way without the screen getting to small because of the distance I would be away from it.