Is running a CPU above 55 degrees considered overheating?

Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me with a situation,

I got a message from someone stating that running a CPU above 55 degrees is overheating and can damage the computer. To use his exact words:

"Here's a tip: when any computer runs higher than about 55 degrees, it's because of an overheating issue."

Also he stated this:

"Oh and by the way, just to rub in how clueless you are.......most computers would never reach 85C. They'd shut down to prevent damage before that happened."

So apparently a computer will shut down before it reaches 85 degrees. As a recent Linus video stated 85 degrees is the maximum you should run a computer at but won't shut down until its close to 100 degrees.

Finally he finished by saying this: 

"Next time know what you're talking about BEFORE you go up against an expert."

"tech illiterate Mac owner"

Despite me trying to give constant references to computer sites like Linus tech tips and Newegg etc he refused to believe me.

Apparently I am also tech illiterate despite having built a custom rig and overlclocked the CPU. Plus knowing about the latest in chip technology. 

Hope you guys can help me set this straight, I don't normally bother with people like this but this was just ridiculous, especially when he claimed he was an expert.

Thanks everyone!

Thats funny because underload a ivybridge non overclocked reaches 60c with it overclocked decently high you reach high 70s low 80s

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

It depends on the CPU you are using. If you could provide us with the CPU you are using and the type of cooler on it that would help. Also check either the AMD or Intel website to see the safe operating temperatures.

Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me with a situation,

I got a message from someone stating that running a CPU above 55 degrees is overheating and can damage the computer. To use his exact words:

"Here's a tip: when any computer runs higher than about 55 degrees, it's because of an overheating issue."

Also he stated this:

"Oh and by the way, just to rub in how clueless you are.......most computers would never reach 85C. They'd shut down to prevent damage before that happened."

So apparently a computer will shut down before it reaches 85 degrees. As a recent Linus video stated 85 degrees is the maximum you should run a computer at but won't shut down until its close to 100 degrees.

Finally he finished by saying this: 

"Next time know what you're talking about BEFORE you go up against an expert."

"tech illiterate Mac owner"

Despite me trying to give constant references to computer sites like Linus tech tips and Newegg etc he refused to believe me.

Apparently I am also tech illiterate despite having built a custom rig and overlclocked the CPU. Plus knowing about the latest in chip technology. 

Hope you guys can help me set this straight, I don't normally bother with people like this but this was just ridiculous, especially when he claimed he was an expert.

Thanks everyone!

He's very uninformed. Some CPUs will never shut off because of temperatures whereas some shut off anywhere from 80-100 degrees. Also, 55 degrees is a very respectable CPU temperature, You'll be fine anywhere until around 75 degrees.

over 55 is defintely not overheating, my laptop is constantly over 80+ degrees and i have it for 3 and half years and i never had a problem with it , for example

I'd say 55 degrees is high if CPU is idle, but it it's in use it's okay :)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Show him this.  post-9164-0-71030700-1369505584.png

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

He's just a wanna-be, i run my 2500k on the stock heatsink (i know, don't kill me) at 83 under load, the max is 98 or smth, at which it will shut down.I only know of an AMD cpu that does not run over 60 that being the max from the producer, but that's the only one.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I monitor the temperatures on my computer constantly.  I run world community grid 24/7 so my computer sits at around 80C constantly, it's been this way for a long long time without damage.  Anything below 60C is pretty chilly.  70-80C is warm.  Above 80C is something you might want to keep an eye on.

Intel on their own website lists the thermal junction maximum (safety cutoff point) of my CPU at 105C, so there's certainly nothing stopping it from reaching 85 and well above.

Thanks for the replies guys, the CPU I'm using is a 3770k running at 4.2 ghz on a H100i. I also believe he is talking about Intel CPUs. I shall be showing this thread to him.

Hopefully this can set him straight, I do really like these forums!

Let's see what the official Desktop 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Datasheet, Vol. 1 has to say about thermal protection:

Thermal Trip: The processor protects itself from catastrophic overheating by use of an internal thermal sensor. This sensor is set well above the normal operating temperature to ensure that there are no false trips. The processor will stop all execution when the junction temperature exceeds approximately 130 °C. This is signaled to the system by the THERMTRIP# signal.

You can find it on page 71. Obviously most motherboards will never let the CPU get to 130.

Now for the "Desktop 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family and LGA1155 Socket Thermal Mechanical Specifications and Design Guidelines"

The maximum temperature for the pre-applied insulator on the ILM is approximately 106 °C.

Section 8 of the document seems to suggest. That running under 100 °C is totally fine. Anyways, 55 is certainly not a dangerously hot temperature for your CPU :)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz | Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz 16GB (2x8) | GPU: Msi GTX 680 Twin Frozr  | HDD: 2 x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" | MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77, Socket-1155 | PSU: XFX ProSeries Black Edition 1050W PSU | CASE: NZXT Phantom Special Edition Pink

Doesn't the CPU throttle down at 95°?

I think it's 100C.

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

He seems determined that he is right and the entire internet is wrong, he claims he is an expert and I am a novice partly because I own a Mac, which means nothing. I use it for editing while the custom build for gaming. Apparently tech forums are unreliable and everyone here is wrong.

Also he is getting tcase max and tjmax mixed up. That's what is confusing him. I think the worst thing is he doesn't provide any reliable sources apart from his own "expert" mind.

Set him straight guys:

"Everything said on that forum is DEAD WRONG."

"I'm still an expert, you're still a novice, which is why you bought a Mac. Because you had to."

lol, who is he? :D

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I think I shall spare him some embarrassment and not reveal his name, I just believe he is an internet troll but he sounds like he really means it, which makes me wonder if he actually thinks he is correct and an expert. The thing is no one claims you are an expert, you have to earn that right not just say you are one. 

He seems determined that he is right and the entire internet is wrong, he claims he is an expert and I am a novice partly because I own a Mac, which means nothing. I use it for editing while the custom build for gaming. Apparently tech forums are unreliable and everyone here is wrong.

Also he is getting tcase max and tjmax mixed up. That's what is confusing him. I think the worst thing is he doesn't provide any reliable sources apart from his own "expert" mind.

Set him straight guys:

"Everything said on that forum is DEAD WRONG."

"I'm still an expert, you're still a novice, which is why you bought a Mac. Because you had to."

Wow what an unknowlegable c*nt. Just ignore him these are the types of people I really hate. They claim they're right all the time and when they're wrong they won't admit their mistakes. Plenty of human beings in life not just in tech that do this.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Thanks guys, I think I shall be blocking him and stop him cluttering up my inbox, one final link to this forum shall set him straight.

wow.... that guy.....

He has to be joking right...???

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

He knows he's wrong at this point, he's just too proud to admit it.  If someone thinks they know more about a CPU's safe temperatures than Intel, well...

Don't worry if you can't convince him.  He's only embarrassing himself.  Although, I invite him to post here and have a debate with us :)

i consider anything over 30C as overheating... but then again iv got a none OC CPU with a watercooler

Character artist in the Games industry.

i consider anything over 30C as overheating... but then again iv got a none OC CPU with a watercooler

me to but that guy is just a 6 year old troll 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

by the way he speaks (types wrights whatever it is called)  can see that he is ignorant, not properly educated and an expert in being the worst kind of  troll 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

He was probably talking about AMD CPUs only. The Phenoms couldn't handle above 62 degrees, IIRC, which isn't that far off 55.