A, B or C. Please help me choose!

Boy am I in a dilema! So basically I'm buying a new mobo and CPU, but I can see 3 options I can go about doing this;

A - I cheap out a bit on the motherboard and get an i7 (maxes out budget)

B - I cheap out a bit on the CPU and get an i5 with a nice motherboard, probably ROG (almost maxes out budget)

C - I cheap out on both and get an i5 with a cheaper motherboard (gives me a very good amount left over to spend elsewhere)

Those are my 3 options and I'm just wondering what you guys think I should do. I'm not going to sit and tell yous I need an i7, I don't. I game and once in a blue moon will render a video, but I just feel even although games don't really take advantage of it at the moment, I'm probably going to be keeping this setup for multiple years and maybe by then games will be taking advantage of the i7's 8 threads. I feel that it would last me longer is what I'm trying to say (plus bragging rights of course, I mean no one's exactly disappointed when they buy an i7). The main reason I'm buying this is because my GPU is being severely bottlenecked by my current CPU and I know that the i5 will solve that problem with no issues. The last thing I wanted to ask is if motherboards are that important? It will be an ASUS board I buy so they all basically have the same overclocking experience and I don't really see why I would need an expensive board apart from the sexiness of ROG. So what do you guys think?

Thanks, Paul :)

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I would choose C, but with a decent motherboard. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

C is your best option, you can use the money to spend on a better graphics card.

You can buy the cheapest asus mobo that has the features you need. They are all quite good. So either option a or c. I would go with option c the I5 is a great cpu

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I would choose C, but with a decent motherboard.

The board would probably be around £100ish and will most likely be an ASUS Z97-K/C/A. So I'd say they're pretty decent

Haha! Well I can't say I've ever had a question answered by Shrek but I suppose he's never wrong. After all, Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

Go with C. The i7 is complete overkill on a gaming machine. Also, the ROG motherboard is probably also pretty overkill.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Haha! Well I can't say I've ever had a question answered by Shrek but I suppose he's never wrong. After all, Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

People really need to get ogre that meme. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Depends on what GPU you add. If you already have like a 290x or 780ti then B would be good. Otherwise C and get a better CPU.

Using Tapatalk

C is your best option, you can use the money to spend on a better graphics card.

I recently bought a 770 so there'd be no need for that. The extra cash would go towards games (which are kinda important in a gaming PC)...and McDonald's

I recently bought a 770 so there'd be no need for that. The extra cash would go towards games (which are kinda important in a gaming PC)...and McDonald's

then spend your extra cash on a good motherboard.

Go with C. The i7 is complete overkill on a gaming machine. Also, the ROG motherboard is probably also pretty overkill.

Yeah I was dead set on buying one then I sat and thought about it, when I helped build my friend's PC we just put some £60 ASRock board in it and it works perfectly so that's why I don't think the board is that big of a deal

You won't be disappointed with the i5, but don't cheap out on the motherboard if you don't have to. what CPU do you have now? I'd choose C though.  

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

But first what's your budget?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

You won't be disappointed with the i5, but don't cheap out on the motherboard if you don't have to. what CPU do you have now? I'd choose C though.

The cheap out motherboard option is like £55 cheaper than the more expensive one, so they're not super far apart and I have a Phenom II X6 1035T (don't laugh, it was out of a pre-built HP which I bought in my n00b days :( )

But first what's your budget?

£350/$584 But obviously I'd like to have some left over to "par-tay" etc.

Get a i5 now and in a few years you can get the i7 for really cheap. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

i5 4690k with an asus Z97 motherboard around $100-150

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Either A or C, preferably C.. Generally i5s are considered to be the best balance of price/performance, because like you said, games don't really take advantage of 8 threads.

The issue with B is that the motherboard doesn't really improve the performance of the system, so there's really not much reason to spend more on a motherboard unless you happen to have extra money laying around..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

i5 4690k with an asus Z97 motherboard around $100-150

That is literally the exact combination I'm going for haha! :)

Either A or C, preferably C.. Generally i5s are considered to be the best balance of price/performance, because like you said, games don't really take advantage of 8 threads.

The issue with B is that the motherboard doesn't really improve the performance of the system, so there's really not much reason to spend more on a motherboard unless you happen to have extra money laying around..

Yeah, the vast majority seems to be C so I think I'll probably be going for that

C. But I wouldn't really call a Z97-A a "cheap out" board...damn things are amazing (I've bought 2 in the last 4 months -all i5 builds :D )

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

C

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I'd go with the i7 aka option A just because you already got a gpu and you have the budget. Sue me.

I know it's not fully utilized now but it will be. Basically, every new title utilizes 4 or more cores now and i also hate that my CPU is hitting constant 95% load on games(i5).

Edit* 350 pounds buys you that i7 and a very good motherboard as well.4790k is 225 pounds + MSi z97 gaming 5 is a pretty solid bundle for a total of ~325 pounds.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!