Idea's for Car PC

thepriceyman

Hi just wondering if any of you people on the forum have any ideas for a car pc? 

What sort of hardware? (keeping wattage low) 

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Get a laptop

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Hi just wondering if any of you people on the forum have any ideas for a car pc? 

intel NUC

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

First question is why. What are you going to use it for? What vehicle do you have? What climate do you live in? What's your budget?

I've seen a guy mounting his nexus 7 in his car, not sure if that's what you meant though...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A car pc? You mean a pc to use in a a car? A pc that looks like a car? A OC the size of a car? Explain yourself...

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Intel NUC, Gigabyte Brix, or custom make your own, probably with an AM1 APU and a PicoPSU 

"Rawr XD"

A car pc? You mean a pc to use in a a car? A pc that looks like a car? A OC the size of a car? Explain yourself...

As in a small desktop to put in boot of car to be used as a sort of media pc 

also Skoda Fabia Estate

(plan to put 2 of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-Car-monitor-computer-HD-digital-VGA-AV-Support-as-Computer-Screen-/321308277188 on back seats ) 

You mean a PC that can be used in a car? :S You could try making a briefcase PC? 

IMG_0725.JPG

This guy did, it's a bit old but damn it's a project i'd like to do one day.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's possible, but you might want to get a good inverter (something around a 600W inverter) if you want to build a standard desktop-ish computer....

Otherwise get a NUC, or a Zotac, or a Brix...

Really, just get a laptop. To tricky to go around with a monitor and a tower, as well as a bunch of wires.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein

The same applies to computers. Cars are meant for driving, not for computer usage whatsoever.

Compatible with Windows 95

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein

The same applies to computers. Cars are meant for driving, not for computer usage whatsoever.

Not for use in the front... for use in the back e.g. for when I drive to london which I do quite alot having a movie collection will keep my younger sister quiet!

Also I fancied doing it as an entertaining project!

Not for use in the front... for use in the back e.g. for when I drive to london which I do quite alot having a movie collection will keep my younger sister quiet!

'tis a good idea, my friend, but why not just use DVD players like everyone else?

because of the size constrains its either a nuc or  (which i recommend) ECS's  liva pc  comes with nand ram and a dual core baytrail CPU at a great price

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

but why not just use DVD players like everyone else?

Why buying a boring dvd player when you can build a pc instead? :D

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

go on ebay get a cheap portable dvd player that has an hdmi input (many do) then get a back of seat mount for those guys which again are pretty common. After that get a rabserry pi. I would reccomend getting a case for it aswell so you can make it nice and tidy. Also get a hdmi cable micro sd card and a wireless keyboard mouse combo thingy. 

then install xmbc on the pi and use a flash drive to load movies on it.

That way you can use dvds and movies from your pc. It will probally cost you anywhere from 50-75 bucks if you do it right. 

Why buying a boring dvd player when you can build a pc instead? :D

Many reasons (that presumably, according to this post's reception) that only I and myself can understand.

Have you considered a Raspberry Pi? OC it to 1GHz, and it will run a XBMC distro without any problems.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Nice attempt at being pseudo-intellectual. A friend of mine works as a security guard, and sits in his small van, and doing foot patrols at intervals. He has a laptop in it so he can watch movies / game in-between his patrols.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

if you find someway to get the power for it just build a m-atx or i-atx computer put it in the trunk and wire it up

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Nice attempt at being pseudo-intellectual.

Why thankyou

(I could not be bothered to find a suitable quote to match the situation, I have let you down)

Have you considered a Raspberry Pi? OC it to 1GHz, and it will run a XBMC distro without any problems.

already have considered raspberry Pi - however plan is to have dual displays running - so going to have to be windows based + my plan is to have my itunes library with it anyway - probably thinking a AMD APU based system with a 1tb hard disk

Why thankyou

(I could not be bothered to find a suitable quote to match the situation, I have let you down)

Those+are+some+good+maymays+friend+_6f67