Takstar Pro-80 Monitor Reference Class Monitor Headphones [Video]

dylandylandylan

Hey guys!

After being super happy with my purchase of the takstar hi-2050 for less than $40 USD (DT880 clones imo) I thought I'd try out some more of their range. 

I started off by purchasing these 'premium' headphones for around the same price as the HI-2050s.

We'll start off with the specifications off their website!

• Transducer Principle: Dynamic
• Driver Diameter: ¢53mm
• Impedance: 60Ω
• Sensitivity: 101±3dB
• Frequency Response: 15Hz-25kHz
• Rated Power: 250 mW
• Max. Input Power: 500mW
• Cable: ¢4mm×2.2m black straight cable
• Connector: Stereo ¢3.5mm+¢6.3mm gold-plated plug
• Net Weight: 340g

When I first got the package it arrived in a Takstar carrying tote, which I thought was quite cool, unsure if it's what they all come in, or just a one off, but nonetheless, still cool.

ZoXHl3s.jpg

I opened up the tote bag and I did not expect what was next, the packaging for this thing is AWESOME, It comes with it's own carrying case for goodness sake! For a product that costs less than $70 NZD, I was very surprised. Definitely keeping inline with the package quality of the HI-2050 with the nice packaging!

lu2ekrp.jpg

LC0a29v.jpg

What gets included in the box:

PRO80 Headphone 1pc

6.3mm Gold-plated Plug 1pc

Black Cloth Bag 1pc
User Manual 1pc
Package: Aluminum case + color box

The Black cloth bag I actually got was grey in colour, but it was still very nice, very velour-e, soft to the touch, and it'd be good to use as a carrying pouch for both the headphones and my amp/DAC. 

Another note I'd like to add is the build quality of the cable. Now, I'm not one that really likes coiled cable, so that aside, the 3.5mm connector allows for you to screw on a 6.3mm jack, something that you see on higher priced premium headphones. I like the little spring on the termination point of the cable too.

eFEUl8L.jpg

The manual is a full colour, complete English manual that has the frequency response included in it.

BnhNU01.jpg

Nqhqf9A.jpg

glzVayy.jpg

Now! To the headphones themselves! 

The earpads are pleather, which I'm not a fan of at all, but they're pretty good at keeping the noise in, even at quite high volumes. I've used these as my portable headphone for the past three weeks and quite a lot of sweat gets built up around the ear after prolonged periods of time, but they're a lot more comfortable than my takstar hi-2050 over prolonged periods of time. I think it's because the material used isn't scratchy like the material used on the HI-2050s.

3ZeNDUr.jpg

The headband is extendable to quite a big length, so not that bad, even for people with big heads like mine. The headband has a metal skeleton, with a soft, rather thin pleather headband outer shell, which is surprisingly comfortable. It has a glossy black finish which feels a little cheap to me. 

itlGUPm.jpg

Something to note are the braided cables coming from the drivers up into the headband, they look the part, and look high quality, so it gets points there.

q9l4gYU.jpg

Now, the part you've all been waiting for! How does it sound?

Unfortunately for me, I can't enjoy this headphone after listening to a fun headphone such as the HI-2050. I thought being a monitor headphone, I'd have clarity in all channels, but instead I have flatness in the lows, and muddiness in both the mids and the highs. I've tried listening to all kinds of music through them but unfortunately I can't say that I enjoy them for any genre of music.

I did however, use them as monitor headphones for my recording audio set up (external recorder is the Tascam DR-05) using the line out, I could pick up voices and background noises quite easily, and could differentiate between different noises and peaks easily too. 

I'll be revisiting these headphones in the future for sure, especially after a longer, more hands-on period with them to see if they grow on me anymore, but for now, I can't say I enjoyed them much at all!

I've also got an unboxing video on this very headphone, and a review will be up in the next few weeks (When I have the time) but I thought I'd type out my review for you guys first! :)

#!

Are you 0.0'ing at the size of the photos? If so, sorry. I didn't re-size at all D:

dat dslr quality.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

great review!  And that high res-ness is so high res.   I can see every speck of dust... 

great review!  And that high res-ness is so high res.   I can see every speck of dust... 

I know right! Gotta love my camera though ..

YOwXE98.jpg

#!

I know right! Gotta love my camera though ..

YOwXE98.jpg

pretty damn good Camera!