DACs, Amplifiers, Headphones, and Speakers.

Vitalization

This is my first post, so be gentle! :D

I've been watching a lot of Linus's videos on DACs. They seem cool, but when are they needed? I guess I'm just not aware enough on the whole audio thing. In one of his videos, he unboxed the Corsair SP2500 2.1 speaker system. Does a system like that require a DAC? Does it matter if it's plugged in with an optical cable compared to a 3.5mm? AH! It's a lot of questions, I know. I just want to get into a better audio state, and I want to hear everyone's opinions!

DACs are Digital to Analog converters. USB to Headphone jack. Analog signals degrade over distance, so a DAC is used to minimize degradation of the signals.

Those headphones won't need a DAC. I believe that is a USB headset, correct? You can't even use it with a DAC anyways because it's outputting a Digital signal already.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Actually they are "gaming" 2.1 satalite speaker system. They have a line-in of either a 3.5mm jack, or the typical RCA ports. I've since been looking around at various devices and systems, and boy is it fun. I could really get into the audio scene. Now I just need a better paying job. ;)

DACs are Digital to Analog converters. USB to Headphone jack.

Not always a Headphone jack, often it is actually just RCA.

Analog signals degrade over distance, so a DAC is used to minimize degradation of the signals.

DAC's are also built into sound cards + some kind of amplifier circuit. In some instances you could have noise or plain bad sound quality out of your sound card, this is where a DAC or combined DAC/AMP could come into play and help you with this problem.

Actually they are "gaming" 2.1 satalite speaker system. They have a line-in of either a 3.5mm jack, or the typical RCA ports. I've since been looking around at various devices and systems, and boy is it fun. I could really get into the audio scene. Now I just need a better paying job. ;)

Usually you wouldn't really hear any difference with those kind of speakers whether you used the built in soundcard of your computer or using an expensive DAC, they are just not good enough to allow you to hear much of a difference. There could be a slight difference, but nothing that would make your jaw drop.

DACs are Digital to Analog converters. USB to Headphone jack.

Digital input (Regardless of medium) to a low voltage sine wave (Regardless of medium)

Analog signals degrade over distance, so a DAC is used to minimize degradation of the signals.

Not the purpose of a converter, a converter is used to turn the a digital file into a analog sine wave that will be amplified by the amplifier later

Those headphones won't need a DAC. I believe that is a USB headset, correct? You can't even use it with a DAC anyways because it's outputting a Digital signal already.

Correct! These speakers have their own amplifier and will not use an amplifier before them. And since a DAC makes next to no difference. 

OP, those speakers are pretty ass, you should look into something from a legit audio company. 

If you don't want to upgrade your speakers just run with the onboard, for 99% of cases you want hear any improvement from a dac when using even good quality speakers unless your onboard has noticeable issues (static crackle pop etc) anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is my first post, so be gentle! :D

I've been watching a lot of Linus's videos on DACs. They seem cool, but when are they needed? I guess I'm just not aware enough on the whole audio thing. In one of his videos, he unboxed the Corsair SP2500 2.1 speaker system. Does a system like that require a DAC? Does it matter if it's plugged in with an optical cable compared to a 3.5mm? AH! It's a lot of questions, I know. I just want to get into a better audio state, and I want to hear everyone's opinions!

DACs are for reproducing audio the way it was herd in the producers ears (converting digital to audio sound flawlessly, if you have the right set up). Basically it gets rid of interference and the audio is more "pure" but in reality most people don't need a high quality DAC. Most people who get a dedicated DAC are people who have had their on board audio destroyed somehow, the on board audio just isn't loud enough for them (Kind of a waste of money personally), or are audio producers who need the precise feed back, don't want to deal with the fuss of audio interface software and want something what will just work without any fuss. The only audiophiles that i know who use them are wannabe audiophiles, who want to look like they are legit. I think the only reason why Linus uses them for audio tests is because they deliver the same audio feed back all the time (or should), and that the only bottle neck keeping the headphones from performing their best is the headphones themselves. You really shouldn't need a DAC unless your frequency response curve is nearly flat, which those speakers do not have. Feel free to ask me more questions via PM or what ev ^^

DACs are for reproducing audio the way it was herd in the producers ears (converting digital to audio sound flawlessly, if you have the right set up). Basically it gets rid of interference and the audio is more "pure" but in reality most people don't need a high quality DAC. Most people who get a dedicated DAC are people who have had their on board audio destroyed somehow, the on board audio just isn't loud enough for them (Kind of a waste of money personally), or are audio producers who need the precise feed back, don't want to deal with the fuss of audio interface software and want something what will just work without any fuss. The only audiophiles that i know who use them are wannabe audiophiles, who want to look like they are legit. I think the only reason why Linus uses them for audio tests is because they deliver the same audio feed back all the time (or should), and that the only bottle neck keeping the headphones from performing their best is the headphones themselves. You really shouldn't need a DAC unless your frequency response curve is nearly flat, which those speakers do not have. Feel free to ask me more questions via PM or what ev ^^

Using "feedback" and "bottleneck" improperly. This is my fetish, please don't entice.

Using "feedback" and "bottleneck" improperly. This is my fetish, please don't entice.

Go to town.

Have fun? If you could send me a PM to tell me what i messed up I would appreciate it 

Have fun? If you could send me a PM to tell me what i messed up I would appreciate it 

Why pm, let the other forham plebs learn, too.

Oo look I found the thread again... guess I'll copy paste from the PM.

You were using "feedback" as if it were the actually audio playing through the headphones, but feedback is actually a technical term with two main uses relating to audio. Positive Feedback and Negative Feedback.

"Bottleneck" is another technical term, and they don't happen in audio. A Bottleneck refers to the overall performance of a system being reduced due to one component of said system. It's a common misconception to think of the net audio quality as overall system performance, but individual audio components don't affect other components in a chain (except for mismatched impedances or power limits, but you'd have bigger issues there anywho). A 12-bit file will always sound like a 12-bit file, a muddy amp will always sound muddy, and accurate headphones will always reproduce the signal they receive accurately.

If bottlenecks did happen in audio, Vinyl wouldn't be so popular.