RAM Speed benefits from higher speed

Hey guys

What are the benefits of using RAM with let say 2133MHz, in stead of 1600MHz? I'm looking for the overall benefits, not just the benefits in gaming. The price is very similar, but if there isn't really any benefits, then I might just save the money, on the other hand if there is some benefits I might spend the extra money.

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

Hey guys

What are the benefits of using RAM with let say 2133MHz, in stead of 1600MHz? I'm looking for the overall benefits, not just the benefits in gaming. The price is very similar, but if there isn't really any benefits, then I might just save the money, on the other hand if there is some benefits I might spend the extra money.

Not much for gaming exept Battlefield 4.

But for workstation uses benefits are:faster rendering etc.

Not much use, unless you're rendering, on an APU or overclocking.

If you're on an APU the graphics will use the RAM, so every step up will add about 10% to the performance

If you're overclocking, you can underclock the RAM to get (marginally) more stable OCs

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

If they're very similar in price, go for the faster RAM. It's always better to have that potential in case some software you use is/gets optimised to benefit from faster memory.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Hey guys

Much like the first reply said, generally it speeds up workstation stuff and has little effect on gaming unless your using an IGPU, even then I think anything higher than 1866MHz doesn't have an effect or has next to no effect.

Go for the 2133MHz. It's a similar price because it has a higher CL (probably CL 11)  but it still outperforms the 1600MHz stick which probably has a CL of 9. 

Hey guys

Depends on the application of course if it'll utilize high speed ram accordingly. Gaming or not get the higher speed, eventually it'll be the industry average and then grow old. Like DDR2 800Mhz :lol:

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."