FX 8350 or i5 4690k?

The question is in the title. I will be playing a wide range of games and may do some CPU intensive stuff in the near future. 

If I go with AMD I will save around £50. Do you think it is worth it?

No way. i5 4690K. Runs cooler. £50 isn't much of a deal breaker either.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

here we go again...no it's not worth it the core i5 is a much better CPU for gaming it will last longer and play games better when paired with an high-end GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

FX-8350 in my opinion. I like AMD over Intel, but that's my personal preference.

Building my first build.

BUILD:

FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-1600 Corsair, GTX 770 or R9 290 (still undecided), Cooler Master TC-102 case.

if those 50£ are the difference between a (for example) 280x or a 290, then go with the amd option

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Why not 8320 and save some more? Well if you not really concern about the money then just get 4690K.

FX-8350 in my opinion. I like AMD over Intel, but that's my personal preference.

And why do you like it better? Because of fanboyism? Fanboyism is baaaaaaaaaad.

To the OP, could you please just google this question? Or you could search for the EXACT same question with the search bar at the top instead of making another thread. Thank you...

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Because it's cheaper (even more cheaper if you go with 8320), and it's not a huge difference in gaming. Most of the time your GPU is the more limiting factor.

"Rawr XD"

If you play a wide range of games, and don't want to worry about whether or not AMD will play certain games well, the answer is Intel.

The FX processor does not play certain games very well, such as:  Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Starcraft, Civilization, Diablo, Any MMO, League of Legends, and Indie Games.  Even an i3 beats the FX8xxx in these games because these types of games prefer stronger cores, which is what intel delivers.

For the FX processor to even reach the stock speeds of Intel, you have to overclock the FX to 4.8Ghz+

See Minute 6 and Minute 10 for further explanation.

In order to overclock the FX to 4.8Ghz, you will require a very expensive motherboard, and very expensive cooling solution, which ends up costing a lot more than the i5.  Lets not forget electricity costs which are going to be more with AMD, and over time they add up.  Intel doesn't have this problem, the voltage regulation is done on the chip, and as a result, you will get the same overclocking result on the least expensive Z motherboard as you will with the most expensive Z motherboard.

I am going to use Microcenter's price as an example, this is for people in America.  Note, you do not have to live near a Microcenter in order to get this deal, you can price match using NCIXUS.com, Staples.com or Frys.com to get the i5-4670k for $180.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CZ4pQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CZ4pQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($180.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-11 16:18 EDT-0400

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k8RV23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k8RV23/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($160.00) <-- To be fair, I used Microcenter price here too.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $289.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-11 16:20 EDT-0400

The FX processor is going to bottleneck a single high end video card, so going SLI or Crossfire is not going to yield performance gains if you use a high end GPU.

This quote is taken directly from Firestrike, it is an FX8350 OC'd to 4.8Ghz paired with a heavily overclocked R9 290X:

Achievements for the overclocked score:

"

b73b6a7a986472d6545732cecf14a926fa39a515

Brawn

Your GPU is ready to rumble, but your CPU doesn't want to play."

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

To the OP, could you please just google this question? Or you could search for the EXACT same question with the search bar at the top instead of making another thread. Thank you...

Cheaper, and the fact the CPU is not dependent on most games. Save $50, get near same performance. 

Building my first build.

BUILD:

FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-1600 Corsair, GTX 770 or R9 290 (still undecided), Cooler Master TC-102 case.

The question is in the title. I will be playing a wide range of games and may do some CPU intensive stuff in the near future.

If I go with AMD I will save around £50. Do you think it is worth it?

You wont notice much difference between the two. However, I would and just did go Intel because AMD seems to be focusing all of their resources on the APU market. No denying Intel makes a superior product but an 8350 paired with a quality GPU will be fine in current games.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Bang of your buck the AMD fx8300 series are hard to beat. but the i5 is much much better at single thread performance. which makes it better for 80% of them games out there. 

so all in all the i5 is the best choice for gaming right now.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Because it's cheaper (even more cheaper if you go with 8320), and it's not a huge difference in gaming. Most of the time your GPU is the more limiting factor.

No he said he just prefers AMD, no reason given.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Cheaper, and the fact the CPU is not dependent on most games. Save $50, get near same performance. 

No he said he just prefers AMD, no reason given.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

No way. i5 4690K. Runs cooler. £50 isn't much of a deal breaker either.

Ffs 8350 runs cooler than Intel. Stop spreading lies

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

My vote to Intel. They are technologically ahead.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

My vote to Intel. They are technologically ahead.

Agreed. AMD was king back in the early 2000's. My, how times change...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

For gaming it doesn't matter. for the CPU intensive stuff, go with Intel for single threaded performance and AMD for multithreaded performance.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yMLyHx Use that as a guide, changing it to Intel if you decide to go that route. Add a case you like and the best graphic card you can within your budget. It was a quick and dirty list, do your research before buying.

Part of the Q6600 club

Ffs 8350 runs cooler than Intel. Stop spreading lies

Yeah but 8350's kick much more heat in the cooler and therefore you need better cooling, with Intel cpu's you're hitting a thermal wall long before you need better cooling which won't make the difference. Anything above a nh-u12s is pointless for Haswell except for Haswell-E ofc. As a side note, the temperatures you're seeing in core temp for example on 8350's aren't the actual raw data from the sensors. AMD uses algorithms that are built in the CPU to measure the temperatures, the warmer the CPU gets the more accurate the reading becomes. From a guy who's working for AMD: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=160921

You just can't compare temps between AMD & Intel, it would only make sense between AMD & nvidia and mainly because theyre from the same silicon manufacturer TSMC.

For gaming it doesn't matter. 

Don't be misinformative