Not sure if I should get a new case (Currently a 550D)

aduman

Hi, I currently have a 550D and really like it. I've just ordered 2 780ti ACX cards and they blow all of that hot air into the case... I'm not sure a 550D can handle these cards with that type of cooler in any fan combination without removing top or side covers. Removing the covers would spoil the case's purpose.

Should I get a new case? I'm in EU.

Thank you.

EDIT: I'm in EU.

EDIT-2: The Air 540 looks promising. What do you think? I'm currently watching Linus' and HardwareCanucks' reviews.

EDIT-3: I watched the vids and found this guys reply, everything he said makes sense, hence Air 540 is off the list.

Flimsy side panels, No dust filter for the power supply, No dust filter at the top. For 150,- EUR price-tag is a pretty bad start. But also the main selling point, the dual chamber design, is not well executed

In reality hardly anyone will use those optical slots. People download games, apps and also stream movies these days. Vendors should go with the time and offer designs without those ugly slots. For fan-controllers they add some value, but even then: here they are rotated by 90 degrees making bad LCDs look even worse and probably a pain to use.

The SSD cage in the back: Good idea but they didn't went through with it. Not everyone has that many SSDs for starters and even if you have 2 or 3, they could easily fit at the bottom of the first chamber still. 

Whats left from the second chamber to mention? The PSU slot and room cabling. Great. If you build a PC before you know that cabling is okay with less than half the space available.

Bottom line: The second chamber is pretty much useless and to top it off they leave out a filters from all things they already did wrong. It could be a totally different story if they would have stacked it with some 3,5 drive bays making this a worthwhile option for RAID file-serving use or something..

For pure gaming rigs (guess that was their target, hence less drive-bays), there are far better cases that require much less space on your desk, or at least offer more efficient use.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I would get a new case just to be safe. Maybe a Corsair Air 540?

Life.exe is missing

Is it possible to reorient the fans for better airflow? You have that grill in the side panel that should help.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

you should be fine as long as you put an outtake fan on the side panel

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Well it also depends on your board and how much space there is between the two cards, otherwise remove the top drive cage to allow better airflow to the cards from the front fan

0c0NUhb.png?1

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

you already have the gpus??

just try it and if its not cold enough get a new case

I would get a new case just to be sure

I would get a new case just to be safe. Maybe a Corsair Air 540?

OK then guys, which case would you recommend? I'd prefer Corsair cases because I really liked the build quality and features of 550D

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Well it also depends on your board and how much space there is between the two cards, otherwise remove the top drive cage to allow better airflow to the cards from the front fan

Top HDD cage is already removed, board is a Maximus V Formula.

Spoiler

Spoiler

you should be fine as long as you put an outtake fan on the side panel

But removing the side fan cover would make the case pointless...

Spoiler

Spoiler

You bought 2 high end cards for a case that is a toaster oven and you won't remove the covers because it'd spoil the looks..why did you get the 550d in the first place...? 

edit:

c82fcc69f51fe12c14d28c2250abce8f.png

Wow, that is butt ugly, wtf were the designers of Corsair thinking when they made that mess? A solid panel would have looked so much nicer or a windowed one.

Is it possible to reorient the fans for better airflow? You have that grill in the side panel that should help.

I know but removing top or side covers would really ruin this case.

Spoiler

Spoiler

You bought 2 high end cards for a case that is a toaster oven and you won't remove the covers because it'd spoil the looks..why did you get the 550d in the first place...? 

That's why I'm asking if I should get a new case.

Spoiler

Spoiler

But removing the side fan cover would make the case pointless...

you really think it makes your pc more silent? 

please...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

you really think it makes your pc more silent? 

please...

It does and it's not because of the silence it would ruin the looks. And I care about the looks, a lot.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OK then guys, which case would you recommend? I'd prefer Corsair cases because I really liked the build quality and features of 550D

the antec 1900

for real though

i think the 750D might be a good case in that case

best review of the case, imo

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

edit:

c82fcc69f51fe12c14d28c2250abce8f.png

Wow, that is butt ugly, wtf were the designers of Corsair thinking when they made that mess? A solid panel would have looked so much nicer or a windowed one.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to remove the covers. Good to know someone got my point.

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's why I'm asking if I should get a new case.

I've made the mistake of form over function before myself. Protip, Lian Li cases tend to be pretty on the outside and a facepalm on the inside for being so far beyond their competition. Haven't had an LL case since 2011, but at least back then cable management and a logical layout didn't exactly exist. If you wanna stick to Corsair cases, you could go with the fat cube since it's direct airflow and has plenty of breathing room. - 750D if you want something more classy.

the antec 1900

for real though

i think the 750D might be a good case in that case

best review of the case, imo

I was looking at 750D too! :) It looks really nice and window feature is really cool too. I'm pretty sure Corsair did a good job inside.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Top HDD cage is already removed, board is a Maximus V Formula.

Then you should be fine

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I've made the mistake of form over function before myself. Protip, Lian Li cases tend to be pretty on the outside and a facepalm on the inside for being so far beyond their competition. Haven't had an LL case since 2011, but at least back then cable management and a logical layout didn't exactly exist. If you wanna stick to Corsair cases, you could go with the fat cube since it's direct airflow and has plenty of breathing room. - 750D if you want something more classy.

750D looks really nice and yes I'm currently suffering for the same mistake. :D I've never been a fan of the fat cube though. But aı can consider getting it if it's worth it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Then you should be fine

Unfortunately I'm not fine. My 590 cooks inside this case.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I would recommend a new case. maybe a fractal or nzxt. they make some nice silent cases that still give ok air-flow. so sli shouldn't be a problem unless you start overclocking.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Unfortunately I'm not fine. My 590 cooks inside this case.

Those 5 series cards were notorious for running hot

Edit:

I'd say first get the new card(s) and see how it goes, if it doesn't work out then buy a new case.

I would recommend a new case. maybe a fractal or nzxt. they make some nice silent cases that still give ok air-flow. so sli shouldn't be a problem unless you start overclocking.

I'm sorry I forgot to add that I'm in EU. None of those brands are available here man. Thanks anyway though. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler