Want to get into folding

I want to get into folding/mining/bitconining.

I want to know how this program works..I want to know if it will hurt my computer such as open it to viruses ect.Will i be able to stop the folding any time i want?How do i join the folding team?

What program do i fold on?

Just the basic questions really.Ive read one post on here about after installing a mining program there computer did not boot up again.Just want to make sure it is safe to use really..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I would suggest reading the stickied topics at the top of this section. It will tell you a lot more about folding and bitcoin mining. The program you fold on is one provided by Stanford, who created the idea and the program. However, you will learn a lot more, and faster if you read the stickied topics. 

It will not cause viruses, and as long as the folding component is within safe thermal limits, it's 100% safe and will also not make it more vulnerable to any form of malware. You can stop the folding any time you feel like it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As said, read the stickied posts, also, decide - are you mining or folding? Two very different things and a system can really only do one... Both are safe for 99% of systems, as long as you have proper airflow and cooling in your system.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I downloaded the folding at home last night and let it run over night and im comfortable with it now.But whats the difference between folding and mining is folding you get no bit coins and mining you do?I wanted to get into this to get bitcoins..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Folding is for research purposes, your are donating your computer resources. Mining is to make money, and honestly, bitcoin mining is dead. If interested, check the various posts on litecoins.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99