Opening braces on current or next line?

Heya fellas!

I've recently been watching some programming tutorials for C and was wondering what the cleanest way of starting your opening braces is.

In the tutorials that I'm watching the instructor uses this method:

#include<stdio.h>main()    {    int a;    printf("Enter a integer less than 10: ");    scanf("%d", &a);    if(a < 10)    {        printf("Integer is less than 10\n");    }else    {        printf("Integer is more than or equal to 10\n");    }} 

But I tend to prefer this way:

#include<stdio.h>main(){    int a;    printf("Enter a integer less than 10: ");    scanf("%d", &a);    if(a < 10){        printf("Integer is less than 10\n");    }else{        printf("Integer is more than or equal to 10\n");    }} 

I actually don't remember where I picked this up, I've never really done much programming.

What method do you prefer and why?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

The first its easier to read :P (i have very basic knowledge of java and that's about it)

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I prefer the way you do it, because less hitting enter is always good

Side note, Australians currently dominate this thread, yay

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I don't use C, but C#, and I would use the second one, one reason its that it's 3 lines shorter, and it helps keep the syntax cleaner looking. In C# I use the first method, it's more easy to read, and when I'm done with the main part I do that to shorten up the code.

I like the way you do it, but that only matters to people seeing your source code.

GENERAL GUIDE FOR READABILITY

-------

Use real tabs that equal 4 spaces.

Use typically trailing braces everywhere (if, else, functions, structures, typedefs, class definitions, etc.)

if ( x ) {

}

The else statement starts on the same line as the last closing brace.

if ( x ) {

} else {
}

Pad parenthesized expressions with spaces

if ( x ) {

}

Instead of

if (x) {

}

They are just some of the ways to go about it. Interesting reading linked below!

http://fabiensanglard.net/doom3/

OR

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/source/CodeStyleConventions.doc

-snip-

Sooo many spaces! Nahh... it's not a problem. I will follow this from now on, it does make it far easier to read :)

Sublime Text has a feature to make all tab indentations 4 spaces, so that's easy. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

There's already been a bit of discussion about this here.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

• 2 weeks later...
#include<stdio.h>main(){     int a;     printf("Enter a integer less than 10: ");     scanf("%d", &a);     if(a < 10)     {          printf("Integer is less than 10\n");      }      else      {           printf("Integer is more than or equal to 10\n");      }}

this is how i would format that code. a brace is its own line. and all code within a brace is indented.