Northbridge Overheating!

Okay so I'm overclocked and I just recently noticed that my northbridge is a little toasty, 254C to be exact... yes I know, i thought it was a bug because I'm running a hackintosh but I felt the northbridge and its incredibly hot!

What causes a northbridge to overheat? how can I cool it down? Thanks folks!

Screen_Shot_2013_05_24_at_22_33_12.png

depending on your Motherboard and budget I would see if you can watercool it! its about the only thing that will really keep the temps down. I don't think your actually that hot as it would melt the solder off your board and cause your pcb to melt and numerous other bad things. other then that you can increase the airflow in your case with cable management and fans. without watercooling there isnt much you can do for an overheating NB.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

Feel the NB heatsink itself. 254C is 490F, and the chip will die LONG before that temp. My guess is a dud sensor or reading.

Is this on load or idle? Did you try the overclock on Windows to see if it produces that temp?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

probably just bad readings. Even touching heat sinks at 40 degree Celsius is hot

My Rig - Intel 4670K (4.3Ghz) Cooler Noctua NH-C14| Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H | 16GB GSkill 1866MHz | Gigabyte 7970 OC  | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Thermaltake Overseer RX-I  | Thermaltake TP Qfan 750w

Brothers rig- AMD FX-6100(4.1 GHz) | Gigabyte 990FXA -D3 | 8GB GSkill 1866MHz | Sapphire 7870 Ghz OC  | Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb | Antec 900 v3  | Antec Neopower Blue 650w