Buy GTX 880 at launch or wait for GTX 880 ti?

Aetohatir
Go to solution Solved by Aetohatir,

neither

wait for 980

no lol I need a new card the 580 isn't even able to render Arma III at max viewing distance without looking like a piece of crap

and I need my arma III viewing distance

Wait for people to sell their 780ti's when they get the 880's & 880Ti's on launchhype. ( that's what i'm doing )

thats a funny way to do it but I guess it's valid lol

I'm buying it at release, currently using Intel HD...

man.. I feel you

but if you don't watercool it in anyway yourself don't get the reference cooler they are mostly shit

wait for the other companies to make better coolers

___

I probably will buy the 880 but man I'd be disappointed if the 980 releases so quickly

I said to myself since the release of the 780 I'd wait for the 880 but that took it's time

Heyho

I was wondering what your opinion on this is
I still run an old GTX 580, but I wanted to upgrade soon to a GTX 880. But then I heared that apperantly the 880 isn't even going to be as powerful as the 780 TI.
Now I'm wondering if I should buy the 880 at launch (will put a waterblock on it anyway no need to wait for coolers) or If I should wait for the 880 TI. I am kind of torn here beacause I want my PC to be ready for The Witcher 3, but I don't know if the 880 TI will launch in time for it. Would it make sense to buy a GTX 880 and SLI later in stead of waiting for a GTX 880 TI?

Wait to see how the 880 does. If it doesn't do as well as the 780Ti, buy a 780Ti. If you keep waiting for the 880Ti, you might say, oh the 885 or w/e  is rumoured soon, I'll wait for that. 

Get the 880. No one knows the specs of the 880, or if there is even going to be a 880 ti. You might as well buy it when it comes out because there is ALWAYS going to be something in the future that is faster. 

the 880 TI won't come out at the same time as the 880, and no I'd rather go with the 880 as it'll still perform epic.

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

stop with the 880ti already

Gm204 will have a maximum of 2560 cores on 28nm. shouldn't even bother waiting. 

get the 880 at launch, it'll be faster than a 780ti by 15-20%.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

neither

wait for 980

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wait for people to sell their 780ti's when they get the 880's & 880Ti's on launchhype. ( that's what i'm doing )

I don't think that there will be a 880Ti, rumors said 980 will follow in mid 2015.

But I can just say what the guys over my post said, wait how 880 performs and decide after you have seen some reviews :)

PS: 1st post here :3

Current Rig: FX-8350 - XFX R9 290X DD BE - 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz DC

Next to buy: I7 5930K, 16GB Quad Channel DDR4, MSI X99 SLI PLUS (?), GTX 880 or GTX 980 (with DP 1.3), 24' 120/144 Hz UHD Monitor

Wait for whatever comes after 980TI. That shit will be fast.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

buy the 1380

/sarcasm

yes get the 880

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

neither

wait for 980

no lol I need a new card the 580 isn't even able to render Arma III at max viewing distance without looking like a piece of crap

and I need my arma III viewing distance

I'm buying it at release, currently using Intel HD...

man.. I feel you

but if you don't watercool it in anyway yourself don't get the reference cooler they are mostly shit

wait for the other companies to make better coolers

___

I probably will buy the 880 but man I'd be disappointed if the 980 releases so quickly

I said to myself since the release of the 780 I'd wait for the 880 but that took it's time

Since nobody knows if there will be ever a GTX 880Ti I´d say go and buy either the 880 or a used 780 Ti. It remains to be seen how good the 880 is going to be, since all data to is more speculative than known facts. It could be faster than a GTX780 Ti or be just as fast as a GTX780 but more energy efficient... who knows.

I´ll buy it and benchmark it myself. If it outperforms my GTX 780 Ti I will end up selling my 2 way GTX 780 Ti SLI and probably go for a three way GTX 880 SLI.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Its what i did with my 780's so i do not see why not, i LOVE the second hand market for used cars & computer parts.

Its what i did with my 780's so i do not see why not, i LOVE the second hand market for used cars & computer parts.

I had only bad experience with used PC parts

they were all filthy and I had to use like a liter of isopropyl alcohol but I guess it it works for you

Wait to see how the 880 does. If it doesn't do as well as the 780Ti, buy a 780Ti. If you keep waiting for the 880Ti, you might say, oh the 885 or w/e  is rumoured soon, I'll wait for that. 

I don't know why but for some reason your akame gif irritates me

I can't stop looking at it but it annoys the fuck out of me...

Ya, I play arma on my 560 ti  :(  I want a new GPU but I'll probably wait for 900 series..

i7-3770k, Gigabyte UD5H, NZXT Switch 810, OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 560 ti Twin Frozr II OC 2GB, Cooler Master V8, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, OCZ Modxstream 700w, Corsair k60 and M65. OH and RED LED LIGHTS   FUCK YA    :)

I had only bad experience with used PC parts

they were all filthy and I had to use like a liter of isopropyl alcohol but I guess it it works for you

The things I've found in my cars i have bought makes some filthy dust on the PCB & fan seem like very very nice things.

Heyho

I still run an old GTX 580, but I wanted to upgrade soon to a GTX 880. But then I heared that apperantly the 880 isn't even going to be as powerful as the 780 TI.

Now I'm wondering if I should buy the 880 at launch (will put a waterblock on it anyway no need to wait for coolers) or If I should wait for the 880 TI. I am kind of torn here beacause I want my PC to be ready for The Witcher 3, but I don't know if the 880 TI will launch in time for it. Would it make sense to buy a GTX 880 and SLI later in stead of waiting for a GTX 880 TI?

I would see how the 880 performs. It may not even beat a 780 ti so just get whatever the most powerful card is when the 880 benchmarks roll out. Don't bother waiting for 880 ti, no idea if it will even be a thing, and it will probably be months after the 880 anyway

or you could sell it to me diractly ;)

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

Heyho

I don't know. Nobody that's not under an NDA knows. It's not out yet!

There are rumors that 880 will be slower than a 780ti. Will it be? Nobody knows. It's not out yet!

Should I buy a 2016 Honda Civic, or wait for the next model? Nobody knows. It's not out yet!

I'm really trying not to be a prick here but I figure: If you need a more powerful card today, buy one today. Ignore baseless rumors. The 780ti will be a crazy beast of a card for a couple years no matter what is released tomorrow or next week or next month or whatever.

When I bought my 780tis last November, the forums were full of people saying the 780tis were for idiots because the new series will definitely be out by February 2014. Talk is cheap.

How can we tell you which to get when we don't know anything really about either card. There might not even be an 880 ti ever.

If you look at how it normally goes for high end cards when a new generation comes out, there is normally a 20% to 50% increase to the price:performance ratio for that same tier of card. Any lower then that and it gets into the why bother range and they will be roasted by reviews. Considering how long delayed maxwell and amd's comparable cards have been, hopefully they have something interesting.