should I buy the R9 290 or R9 290x?

Hey, I've been researching for a new build and I came to the conclusion that I wanted an R9 290x but I reconsidered because I don't know if I'll actually use that much power and I don't plan on overclocking so I came to you guys for help. Would you recomend the 290 or the 290x. (specific models)

I'm also trying to keep the build cost as low as possible without compromising power.

Thanks.

290x. because once you get your first frame drop in a game you're going to want the next best thing.

it's an addiction

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

what is the rest if you builds?

IMO the Sapphire 290 Tri-X is the good card

and you can Crossfire later for 1440P gaming 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you have a strict budget get the non-x version.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Need more info. What resolution are you playing at, what refresh rate, multiple monitors, how intense are your games, is there anything else you want to do with it?

what is the rest if you builds?

IMO the Sapphire 290 Tri-X is the good card

and you can Crossfire later for 1440P gaming 

AMD FX-8350

ASRock 990FX Killer

Partiot signature 8GB kit @1600 (cheapest RAM I could find in AUS)

Graphics card: ?

Antec HCG 620W high currend modular gaming PSU

BitFenix Shinobi mid-tower ATX case

All cost $722 without the GPU

AMD FX-8350

ASRock 990FX Killer

Partiot signature 8GB kit @1600 (cheapest RAM I could find in AUS)

Graphics card: ?

Antec HCG 620W high currend modular gaming PSU

BitFenix Shinobi mid-tower ATX case

All cost $722 without the GPU

single 290 will be good

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I would just get a R9 290 because the X isn't really worth the extra money.Unless you want the epeen of having a R9 290X.

Quote me to get a reply!

Need more info. What resolution are you playing at, what refresh rate, multiple monitors, how intense are your games, is there anything else you want to do with it?

I plan on two 1080p monitors (maybe a third) and I generally don't play that intense games' mabye a few like BF4 and AC4 but mostly stuff like tf2 and some DOTA 2 time to time, though I would like to be able to crank up the AA :)

And yes I plan to do some game dev in the future (animating).

Well cheapest model of the 290 i would recommend is the gigabyte or MSI cards, they have very good costumer service and there usually one of the cheapest manufacturers.

$469 AUD - 290: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308002

$599 AUD - 290x: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929xoc4gd

Personally the $130 difference isn't worth it.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

So the general census is get the 290.

The only person to say the 290X is Vacsol, and he's clueless half of the time :P

thanks fro the answers eveyone.

The x isnt worth it imo and you will destroy games with the 290 anyway. Just save the money for a second card if your psu can handle it :)

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

for Dual 290/X

you need to look at a 850 watts PSU at least thou

So the general census is get the 290.

The only person to say the 290X is Vacsol, and he's clueless half of the time :P

thanks fro the answers eveyone.

the choice now is, what R9 290 to get, depending on your budget the best three to go after are the Sapphire Tri-X or Vapor-X (quite expensive), failing either of those I would go with the PCS+ from Powercolor.

Check out my channel if you want to see any comparisons between them.

I got this for this exact price when it was on sale earlier http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26600&cPath=877 so happy with it and its only $30 more than a 770 which it destroys 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

the choice now is, what R9 290 to get, depending on your budget the best three to go after are the Sapphire Tri-X or Vapor-X (quite expensive), failing either of those I would go with the PCS+ from Powercolor.

Check out my channel if you want to see any comparisons between them.

Or the windforce as its $80 off :) (like your vids)

|| MAELSTROM ||

I got this for this exact price when it was on sale earlier http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26600&cPath=877 so happy with it and its only $30 more than a 770 which it destroys Damn

Damn, I didn't realise the 290x I had bookmarked was such a good price cause it was the same price as the one you listed, but unfortunatly it's out of stock and with the unreliability of the sight I don't even know if it will be shipped again... http://www.msy.com.au/pc-components/12518-sapphire-sa-r9290x-4gb-21226-00-40g-4g-ddr5-r9-290x-pci-e-vga-card.html 

Edit: clearly not becaseu the page apparently doesn't exist anymore :/

Yeah I think I'll go with the this one.

Good choice :) 

|| MAELSTROM ||

Hey, I've been researching for a new build and I came to the conclusion that I wanted an R9 290x but I reconsidered because I don't know if I'll actually use that much power and I don't plan on overclocking so I came to you guys for help. Would you recomend the 290 or the 290x. (specific models)

I'm also trying to keep the build cost as low as possible without compromising power.

Thanks.

Well the R9 290 operates at a higher voltage but performs pretty similarly to an R9 290X at stock...

An R9 290X surprisingly has lower power consumption and more likely has higher overclocking ceiling. The R9 290 is extremely good for the price, but the R9 290X is more suited to the enthusiast. Honestly the R9 290 is prob your best bet. Difference between the two is like 10%, while the R9 290 is the price of a GTX 770

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Well the R9 290 operates at a higher voltage but performs pretty similarly to an R9 290X at stock...

An R9 290X surprisingly has lower power consumption and more likely has higher overclocking ceiling. The R9 290 is extremely good for the price, but the R9 290X is more suited to the enthusiast. Honestly the R9 290 is prob your best bet. Difference between the two is like 10%, while the R9 290 is the price of a GTX 770

Thanks for the advice :) I think I'll go with the Windforce 290

Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that I will buy a Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce addition.

Thanks for all the help. :D

Well cheapest model of the 290 i would recommend is the gigabyte or MSI cards, they have very good costumer service and there usually one of the cheapest manufacturers.

$469 AUD - 290: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308002

$599 AUD - 290x: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929xoc4gd

Personally the $130 difference isn't worth it.

The 290 is $449 AUD

EDIT for the windforce http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1575&products_id=26600

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Thanks.

long story short If you think that 3 or 5 Frames Worth the price difference Just go with R9 290x   http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1068