Thought I'd try FSX, big mistake.

nj4ck

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my experiences with Microsoft Flight Simulator X here.

So I got into flight sims actually quite a while ago, but eventually ended up dropping them, because learning the whole navigation- and math -aspect of flying wasn't as much fun to me as I thought it would be back then.

Anyway, I recently got FSX, just because I wanted to get back into it. At first it worked just fine, until you end up watching videos on youtube, and see how other perople have their FSX tweaked and stuffed full of addons to make it look, feel and handle absolutely amazing.

This led to me purchasing a ton of addons and spending hours of work tweaking and modifying my personal copy of FSX to make it look and feel just like I wanted it to (and also to make it look less than a decade old). That's where the trouble started. See, FSX is very old and has long been dropped by microsoft themselves, meaning no updates, no optimization, no nothing. It became very unstable. Most addons would initally work fine, but as more and more were added, the game would start failing to load things like instruments in the cockpit or textures, it would randomly crash (very annoying when you're just on final approach, after almost completing a 2-hour flight you spent at least an hour preparing) and as soon as you got one part of the game working, another part or addon would randomly stop working. After weeks of reinstalling things, applying fixes, troubleshooting and pulling my hair out, I've finally decided it's not worth it. 

I love flying and am still thinking about possibly pursuing a real-life pilots career, but I've simply had enough of this crap. It just doesn't work. The end result is a lot of wasted time and money, nothing good came out of this.

The sad part for me is there doesn't seem to be an alternative. X-Plane is definitely good, but it looks very outdated, there are hardly any addons and there are some certain aircraft I just need to have. Lockheed Martin Prepared3d would be a great option, but its $400. Microsoft Flight is more of a game than it is a simulator.

What a load of crap, seriously, I am super-pissed. I'm sure I could get it to work better if I went back to Windows 7, but that's not worth it for me, either. 

Just venting my frustration here, sorry for the rant. Anyone else gone through this type of dilemma?

I found out a key for Prepar3d is only $60. You're also about 7 years late to the party. FSX works better on Windows 8, no fatal errors. Uh... What else... Don't blow a ton of money on a game when you first need to try it before doing that. :P

The engine for FSX has a ton of problems. I think some PDMG aircraft have a problem where as soon as the wheels leave the ground FSX will crash.

I'll still be logging hours in to FSX once I can upgrade my computer. And I will be blowing money on addons to make it look and fly great. After installing the mandatory fixes to make it not crash as often. :P

I found out a key for Prepar3d is only $60. You're also about 7 years late to the party. FSX works better on Windows 8, no fatal errors. Uh... What else... Don't blow a ton of money on a game when you first need to try it before doing that. :P

The engine for FSX has a ton of problems. I think some PDMG aircraft have a problem where as soon as the wheels leave the ground FSX will crash.

I'll still be logging hours in to FSX once I can upgrade my computer. And I will be blowing money on addons to make it look and fly great. After installing the mandatory fixes to make it not crash as often. :P

The $60 license only applies for students under the age of 16 or something like that, the regular one is $400. And yeah, I know it works better on windows 8, but I'm not downgrading my OS just for this. And as I said before, I already had experience with flight simulators, including FSX, before. There's just no way of not throwing money at it. The worst part is that all the addons (except EZdok) initally worked, but then got messed up somewhere along the way and now nothing works.

I have to disagree, X-Plane is really not outdated.  There is still major updates being pushed, and the developers are still working on the product.  For example they just released version 10.3 which has some major improvements.  And yes X-Plane 10 has a lot less addons and aircraft then FSX but there are new addons and aircrafts coming out a lot more often now.

In my opinion X Plane gives you more of a realistic flight experience and the core sim has less bugs than FSX.

My Rig: i7-3770K, EVGA gtx980 SC, Asus P8-Z77 V-Pro, 2X Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, 1X 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Corsair Obsidian 650D, 2X8GB Gskill Ripjaws, Seasonic X-850w PSU, Corsair H100i, 2X Asus vg248qe, Corsair Sabre RGB, 2X Corsair K95 RGB, Hyper X Cloud II

Corsair Krew - Lifetime Member  ASUS Krew - Lifetime Member  Samsung Krew - Lifetime Member EVGA Krew - Lifetime Member  Intel Krew - Lifetime Member

The $60 license only applies for students under the age of 16 or something like that, the regular one is $400. And yeah, I know it works better on windows 8, but I'm not downgrading my OS just for this. And as I said before, I already had experience with flight simulators, including FSX, before. There's just no way of not throwing money at it. The worst part is that all the addons (except EZdok) initally worked, but then got messed up somewhere along the way and now nothing works.

Then you spend time installing them one by one figuring out which one breaks it.

• 1 month later...

I've got some issues with my FSX. Precisely my issue is with my OS. Iam running my FSX on Win7 64 bit, and tghe FSX crashes all the time.

Does anybody knows how to fix this problem?

I have to disagree, X-Plane is really not outdated.  There is still major updates being pushed, and the developers are still working on the product.  For example they just released version 10.3 which has some major improvements.  And yes X-Plane 10 has a lot less addons and aircraft then FSX but there are new addons and aircrafts coming out a lot more often now.

In my opinion X Plane gives you more of a realistic flight experience and the core sim has less bugs than FSX.

this. i have xplane, and its not outdated at all. its more realistic, looks better, and has quite enough addons. so far, there wasnt one that i wanted and didnt get

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]