AMD aims to win the converged device era with new Xbox One-like chips (announcing new SKU's)

LOGO.jpg

A couple days ago i made this news topic: AMD loses it's second place in microprocessor marked sales.

Members where already quick to conclude that AMD will fight back by expanding their marked share in converged hybrid devices (consoles and tablets)

And this has now been confirmed by AMD:

AMD today is announcing three new families of chips that it hopes will dominate the market of high-end tablets, low-end laptops, and converged hybrid devices. The chips—which will come to market variously as the A4 and A6 Elite Mobility

series; the A4, A6, and E series; and the A6 and A10 Elite series—are close siblings to the processors found in both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.

All the processors are built around the same building blocks: two or four Jaguar CPU cores, paired with AMD's Graphics Core Next (GCN) GPU. They support AMD's heterogeneous uniform memory access technology, too, designed to make it easier to share data and computation between the CPU and GPU. The differences are their power usage, clock speeds, number of GPU cores, and level of integration.

Formerly codenamed Temash, the A4 and A6 Elite Mobility series are full systems-on-chip, adding PCI express, SATA, USB, and other I/O controllers to the CPU and GPU. SKUs range from a 3.9W dual-core 1GHz part with a 225MHz GPU to an 8W quad-core 1.4GHz (maximum)/1GHz (base) part with a 400/300MHz (maximum/base) GPU, the A6-1450.

New codename "Temash" A4 and A6 processors.

temashskus640x181.png

AMD also announced their codename "Kabini" processors. 

These are meant to go up against intel's ivy bridge i3 processors, AMD hopes that they will be used in "performance tablets".

So they are should be in between the atom and the i3 at a compelling price.

This is of course also a response to the rapid increase of ARM processors.

kabiniskus640x234.png

And finally there is the Richland series.

These are not full systems-on-chips, but rather what AMD calls "APUs;" accelerated processing units.

These are meant to go up against the i3's and i5's.

richlandskus640x267.png

For more details just go to the source article: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/amd-aims-to-win-the-converged-device-era-with-new-xbox-one-like-chips/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)

EDIT

I just noticed that someone already made a post about the new SKU's http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/19016-amd-launches-new-processors/

it wasn't there when i decided to make this post :P, anyway this one also has the specs and some more info.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I really want to see AMD pull through, but I don't know if this will do it for them. 

I really want to see AMD pull through, but I don't know if this will do it for them. 

so do i, competition is a very healthy thing if you want to innovate.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I want them to do better than ever actually :). It's already bad but imagine the prices on CPUs if Intel were the only one producing them...

imagine the prices on CPUs if Intel were the only one producing them...

id rather not image that :D