Product Arrived Broken, Should I Have to Pay for Shipping?

Benjio

I bought a pair of refurbished Micca MB42 speakers on Amazon (From Micca) a couple months ago. A couple days ago when I was adding crossovers to the speakers I realized the terminal on one of the tweeters was missing (I guess I never paid close enough attention to notice the difference in sound) so I sent them an email to get a replacement. They emailed me back saying I needed to send them $15 in the mail for the shipping. Personally I find this a little annoying because they sent me a broken product, and want me to pay extra to get what I should've had in the first place. I've never really dealt with receiving a broken product before so I'm not sure if this is to be expected or not. So what are your opinions on this?

if it was a faulty item they should pay for it IMHO

shame it's a couple of months on or you could have just returned it to amazon.

Talk to Amazon, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping if they sent you something broken.

Error: 410

I bought a pair of refurbished Micca MB42 speakers on Amazon (From Micca) a couple months ago. A couple days ago when I was adding crossovers to the speakers I realized the terminal on one of the tweeters was missing (I guess I never paid close enough attention to notice the difference in sound) so I sent them an email to get a replacement. They emailed me back saying I needed to send them $15 in the mail for the shipping. Personally I find this a little annoying because they sent me a broken product, and want me to pay extra to get what I should've had in the first place. I've never really dealt with receiving a broken product before so I'm not sure if this is to be expected or not. So what are your opinions on this?

You could ask for a comp for the shipping, some company's require u to pay 15$ up front and they will give u the 15$ back when they receive it and find out it was their own fault

Its up to the retailer if they make you pay for returns. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

When something arrives faulty they should have to pay for the shipping back but for example for me with Mushkin well the company doesn't feel that way and want me to shell out $40 to ship back a product under warranty that never worked properly out of the box.  Some companies think this is ok and it is pathetic.  OP demand what you want and maybe you will get your way.  I hope things work out for you.

Oh and as for what I am stuck with ...

Mushkin Joule 1000 watt psu that is faulty and yeah I was offered ram in exchange for returning the faulty psu but geezus I don't care how good the ram rates even if they charge almost $100 for it as ram is inflated in price now and so what I would be getting really isn't equal to what I spent on the psu to begin with which was $99 plus tax and then they want me to pay $40 to ship it to them.  $160! Pffff ....

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

You could ask for a comp for the shipping, some company's require u to pay 15$ up front and they will give u the 15$ back when they receive it and find out it was their own fault

Yeah I guess, it's still kind of a hassle packaging it and having to send it back.

Talk to Amazon, you shouldn't have to pay for shipping if they sent you something broken.

Yeah I may do that if I can't get the company to agree first.

if it was a faulty item they should pay for it IMHO

shame it's a couple of months on or you could have just returned it to amazon.

Yeah that's what I thought too, just wanted to make sure others agreed. I would prefer if I didn't have to return it, I just want them to send me a new one.

Its up to the retailer if they make you pay for returns. 

Even if it goes through Amazon? I would think they would have some sort of policy on that.

When something arrives faulty they should have to pay for the shipping back but for example for me with Mushkin well the company doesn't feel that way and want me to shell out $40 to ship back a product under warranty that never worked properly out of the box.  Some companies think this is ok and it is pathetic.  OP demand what you want and maybe you will get your way.  I hope things work out for you.

Yeah, thanks for the support, I hope it goes well too, they seem like a great company besides this.

Even if it goes through Amazon? I would think they would have some sort of policy on that.

Nope no retailer is under any obligation for them to pay for shipping a faulty good. Hence why they wont refund you shipping costs and only the cost of the goods. Most warranty's are RTB (Return To Base) meaning you need to pay for it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Nope no retailer is under any obligation for them to pay for shipping a faulty good. Hence why they wont refund you shipping costs and only the cost of the goods. Most warranty's are RTB (Return To Base) meaning you need to pay for it.

Oh, well that's kind of shitty. If the company doesn't meet my demands I may just try calling Amazon anyway to see what they have to say. From what I've heard they have great customer service.

Does it make it right?  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Oh, well that's kind of shitty. If the company doesn't meet my demands I may just try calling Amazon anyway to see what they have to say. From what I've heard they have great customer service.

Yeah if you make enough fuss they will pay for it. Just most people dont so they can get away with it.

After a "couple" of months I wouldn't take anything back, it makes for bad business because who's to say you didn't break it and want it to be fixed on someones dime other then your own. Cant pay for someones mess up because they failed to check out the product properly when it arrived. I know its not the popular opinion but it just makes sense to me. It's just been to long a period. 

Sadly, I think you will have to pay for it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

After a "couple" of months I wouldn't take anything back, it makes for bad business because who's to say you didn't break it and want it to be fixed on someones dime other then your own. Cant pay for someones mess up because they failed to check out the product properly when it arrived. I know its not the popular opinion but it just makes sense to me. It's just been to long a period. 

Well I see your point, but if you bought speakers would you take them all apart to check to see if they remembered to solder on the tabs for the speakers? If they want to pay to have me send it in so they can see for themselves that it's broken, that's up to them. I can see how this would apply to a lot of products were it's a bit more clear if they are working or not right off the bat. Either way, if I have to pay for it I am going to be upset whether they like it or not, so I guess it's up to them to decide if they want to make their customers happy or not.