Distilled Water vs Pre-mixed Coolant

What do you guys think is better pre-mixed coolant or distilled water? From my research they both have their pros and cons but i'm on the side of coolant as you don't have to worry about different chemicals and kill coils you just fill it up and go.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Distilled all the way, no shit that you don't know about going into your loop.

Pre mixed is better.

Distilled water is just too much hassle due to biocides and such.

I personally recommend from experience EKoolant. No issues with anything and I've been running it for a straight 18 months in my loop with only one change of coolant 6 months ago. Which was just to add more radiators into the loop.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I use car coolant.
Is that a joke? D:

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Pre mixed is better.

I personally recommend from experience EKoolant. No issues with anything and I've been running it for a straight 18 months in my loop with only one change of coolant 6 months ago. Which was just to add more radiators into the loop.

Have a look inside your blocks and come back after :D

Pre mixed is better.

All I expect them to be is to have blue spots if I allow the dye to dry inside it.

im new to watercooling and i would go with pre mixed coolant. i would only use distilled water if its not my first time....

Pre - Mix if you are willing to clean your loop once in a while

Destilled if you're lazy or dont care.

Pre mix will always give better performance unless you're using nasa grade destilled water lol.

Interested in Business and Technology

Pre mix will always give better performance unless you're using nasa grade destilled water lol.

This is just wrong. Pre mix will never ever give you better performance than water. Even city tap water will perform better then a mix.

Im not sure where people get their information.

We have a sticky for a reason.

You can use what ever you want. But pure water is the cheapest, easiest, most effective way you can go.

Coolants look cool but give you lower performance. Try colored tubing if that is what you are interested in.

Lmao , premix is better then plain normal distilled water , of course it depends on the brand but still , city tap water are you serious -_-

Interested in Business and Technology

Pre mixed is better.

How do you quantify better? Or is this just your opinion?

Pre mixed is better.

Its less hassle. with distilled water you need to carefully consider the biocide or silver coil you use. You have to worry about corrosion. The list goes on.

Premix coolant is the best option.

You allways have the best mix of biocides and anti-corrosive additives, and this also comes in a clear form for those "lazy bastards" who dont want to clean their loop.

And the test from EKWB on their bad nickel plating (corrosion of some sort), resulted in no corrosion with the premix and the distilled water was the worst.

its a lot easier ;)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I am trying to not be rude and keep this positive but you need to not give bad advice. If you want to state my opinion is that per mix is better. That is fine. But you clearly don't have any basic understanding of this. You cant add anything to water to give it better Thermal Conductivity or Specific Heat.

If you dont believe me thats fine. Do something Googling. Or if you dont want to, read this. He is one of the most well regarded water cooling testers.

http://skinneelabs.com/coolantfluid-roundup-thermal-performance/3/

Your not going to find a huge different performance difference but water will always do better. Yes even tap. But why spend $10-$20 on 1000mL when water is so cheap.

Pre mixed is better.

I don't understand how a kill coil is more hassle then using a coolant. A biocide maybe. You just drop the coil in your res and never have to worry about it. I have drained my loop and refilled it many times. I never have to worry about it because i know it is there.

I know you often have to pull apart you blocks and clean them if you use a coolant. The dyes degrade with time and really mess up blocks with micro-pins in them. I would find that far more of a hassle then just adding a biocide.

With all that being said. I think coolants are bad ass looking and im going to try some here in the near future.

Pre mixed is better.

Don't used dyed coolant?

Taking apart a block is very easy, even if you HAVE to.

Only real issue is cleaning out your system after using dyes but that's the fault of dyes, not the coolant.

Also good pure water costs the same as coolant.

if you can get good distilled water go with that. there are different grades of distilled waters and if you have access to good medical grade distilled water id use that but its hard to get your hands on

if you can get good distilled water go with that. there are different grades of distilled waters and if you have access to good medical grade distilled water id use that but its hard to get your hands on
You do not only want distilled water but de-ionised water as well.

Pre mixed is better.

Sure you could get something like Feser Aqua Ultra Pure Non-Conductive Water at 12 dollars a litter but why would you do that. You can go buy steam distilled, filtered and ozonated water for a dollar a gallon at any grocery store.

I just ran my HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester (And yes i did just calibrated with 342 ppm NaCl solution) in my awesome crystal springs distilled water and got >1 ppm. Not the most scientific test but it should get my point across. I sure wouldnt spend 86 times more money on Feser Aqua Ultra Pure Non-Conductive Water when i can get that high quality water from a store.

Distilled water is deionised.

Google Deionized vs. distilled water.

Distilled water is a purer form of water than deionised.

+1 on Gmac.

Distilled water is the purest form of water that you can get, it is physically condens.

de-ionised water is water after a chemical process which isn't as pure as distilled.

But still, you need additives. just use premix and make it yourself a lot easier.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.