I need some GPU Overclocking Software Suggestions

StuS

I'm trying to find a GPU Overclocking tool that allows voltage adjustments on my card (Gigabyte Windforce x3 7950) and allows for overclocking past 1100/1575. Afterburner fits the bill, but causes jitter when adjusting anything while in "Unofficial" mode (Including stock + 1).

I have tried:

CCC

MSI Afterburner

Gigabyte OC Guru

EVGA PrecisionX

OC Guru and PrecisionX won't allow me to increase the voltage.

I use TriXX. Very clean looking and has overvolting/fan control support. No monitoring like Afterburner has though. You prolly use GPU-Z anyway.

Overclocking past what the max set by the manufacturer has set is a bad idea. The jitter you see is errors occurring, Leave it within the safe zone, your card is a very nice card, care to explain why you need to facilitate such an overclock?

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Overclocking past what the max set by the manufacturer has set is a bad idea. The jitter you see is errors occurring' date=' Leave it within the safe zone, your card is a very nice card, care to explain why you need to facilitate such an overclock?[/quote']

I still run a lowish fps in a few games such as Far Cry 3 (24-30) and I am unable to record gameplay at 30fps without it overclocked. As Wats mentioned, this card runs extremely cool (57c after 2 hours of Kombuster at 1100/1575).

Currently working with Trixx and it appears to be doing the trick. Currently 1300 Core appears to be stable at 1.3.

Can i assume you are running on a large resolution monitor then? (2560x1600/2560x1440) If not the FPS seems unreasonably low, at 1080p in benchmarks in far cry 3 the 7950 pulls ~50fps fine, and if you are running at 1080p then i suggest making sure you have the latest graphics drivers (Or which ever seem to perform best, latest isn't always best)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

If you are getting FPS like that it is probably because you are stressing the card too hard with your overclock. Drop it down a little.

Overclocking past what the max set by the manufacturer has set is a bad idea. The jitter you see is errors occurring' date=' Leave it within the safe zone, your card is a very nice card, care to explain why you need to facilitate such an overclock?[/quote']

I still run a lowish fps in a few games such as Far Cry 3 (24-30) and I am unable to record gameplay at 30fps without it overclocked. As Wats mentioned, this card runs extremely cool (57c after 2 hours of Kombuster at 1100/1575).

Currently working with Trixx and it appears to be doing the trick. Currently 1300 Core appears to be stable at 1.3.

What driver version are you using? There is a version of 12.11beta that fixes FC3. My 7870 runs fine at 80C. I try to keep her under 75 though. GL

I'm running 1920 x 1080, Ultra Settings, 4x MSAA, HDAO, Alpha to Coverage Enhanced, and 1 Frame V-Sync. Currently at 1200/1600 it is 45+ and drops to 35-40 when lighting the forest on fire with explosives. I will check out some benchmarks to see if its a difference in settings or a bad card. My guess is settings. If I turned V-Sync off it would probably add 10+ FPS.

I'm running 1920 x 1080, Ultra Settings, 4x MSAA, HDAO, Alpha to Coverage Enhanced, and 1 Frame V-Sync. Currently at 1200/1600 it is 45+ and drops to 35-40 when lighting the forest on fire with explosives. I will check out some benchmarks to see if its a difference in settings or a bad card. My guess is settings. If I turned V-Sync off it would probably add 10+ FPS.
http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page5.html

They seem to be about right. In between the 1920 x 1200 and 1650 x 1050 results.

Currently 12.10. I tried 12.11 and didn't see a performance improvement.

I like these OC tools... make people think they are a difference between all of them.

I can't speak for AMD cards. but for Nvidia, it's pass through the drivers.

In fact, you can make your own OC software... here is the SDK, it's on Nvidia website: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi

So what you are doing is really doing is picking your program skin.

Any features that is not in one OC software but another, like Voltage control, is due that the manufacture that choose to not implement it.

The only time it maters, is if, let's say MSI, implement something special, like it's own voltage controller that can go higher than the reference design controller, then it would be controllable only with MSI AfterBurner or reach higher voltages using MSI AfterBurner. Same for EVGA Precision with EVGA card and the rest.

What I am trying to say, is if you can't do with MSI AfterBurner, you won't be able go any further with another OC software.

I like these OC tools... make people think they are a difference between all of them. I can't speak for AMD cards. but for Nvidia' date=' it's pass through the drivers. In fact, you can make your own OC software... here is the SDK, it's on Nvidia website: [url']https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi So what you are doing is really doing is picking your program skin. Any features that is not in one OC software but another, like Voltage control, is due that the manufacture that choose to not implement it. The only time it maters, is if, let's say MSI, implement something special, like it's own voltage controller that can go higher than the reference design controller, then it would be controllable only with MSI AfterBurner or reach higher voltages using MSI AfterBurner. Same for EVGA Precision with EVGA card and the rest. What I am trying to say, is if you can't do with MSI AfterBurner, you won't be able go any further with another OC software.

Since it is an Afterburner bug that is keeping me from OC further, it is possible with another program.

The highest clocks I can get in Afterburner are 1100/1575. Currently I'm running Trixx at 1175/1600 at 1.3v. Could go higher as temps are only around 60c, but I want to keep the fan speeds under 50% so I can't hear them. 1.3v seems to be doing the trick.

Sure, some software doesn't have voltage control built in, such as CCC. Others do but have voltage control locked for my card. Afterburner and Trixx both allow voltage overclocks and high overclocks but Afterburner currently has issues in Unofficial mode. The latest Trixx update added 7950 voltage control and is working great so far.

http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page5.html

Find it hard to beleive a 680 gets better FPS than a 7970 GHZ editing =P

Nvidia cards bench better FPS than the AMD equivalent in Far Cry 3. Overclocked AMD cards will pass the Nvidia cards though. Another benchmark that show similar scores to mine. http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Far-Cry-3-Benchmarked-Reviewed-and-Served-Well-Done/?page=3

7950 Boost gets an average of 34 FPS and a minimum of 27 FPS at the same settings I run. Current overclock gets me 45+ average and drops to 33 when blowing things up and lighting forest fires with a flamethrower.

My only guess is that AfterBurner latest version doesn't have the latest version of NvAPI... or there is a bug with the latest version of NvAPI your card in it.

But the idea, at least in general, still remains.