"Japan to crack down on anime and manga piracy"

TopWargamer

Something I don't get,

What the fuck is up with companies not having their services in specific countries (as someone said earlier) like Poland?

If you owned a company, specifically an internet company, wouldn't you want to reach as many people as possible?

I mean, is it just me, or are the people currently running the world complete and total fucking retards?

Quit with the bullshit, let us spend our money how we want, on what we want.

It's far more complicated than that. The board of the company have to agree with spending the money to be able to provide services to a audience in a foreign country. The world of business comes with various rules and regulations that would boggle the mind of a typical person on the street. To spread anime to different countries and provide subs for the series they are advertising for requires a lot of company dedication in both money and effort. Licensing is not cheap and if the target audience don't bite it'll be a huge loss for the company, everything is weighted in potential profit and comes with a risk factor especially for a company that sells media entertainment like anime. 

These companies from what we can see so far are not too fond of digital distribution and are still using a older business mindset to rake in money. 

EDIT: Not to mention different countries have different rules and regulations for such things. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You can always buy the blu-ray/dvd, and even if my method is illegal, atleast its supporting the show, not stealing it.

Some blurays have region restrictions, and more often than not they do not have subtitles so I will still have to download the subtitles from some other group.

No, if its not available in your area by legal means, don't watch it.

You do realize that with that mentality, the studios would earn LESS money, right? One example of this is WataMote. Everyone on 4chan was pirating it like crazy, to the point that even the original author acknowledge that it was popular overseas, and a lot of people have bought goods and supported the show in other ways because they became fans through piracy.

But how will i watch Naruto O.o

Character artist in the Games industry.

I hope they go after hk knockoffs too

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's far more complicated than that. The board of the company have to agree with spending the money to be able to provide services to a audience in a foreign country. The world of business comes with various rules and regulations that would boggle the mind of a typical person on the street. To spread anime to different countries and provide subs for the series they are advertising for requires a lot of company dedication in both money and effort. Licensing is not cheap and if the target audience don't bite it'll be a huge loss for the company, everything is weighted in potential profit and comes with a risk factor especially for a company that sells media entertainment like anime. 

These companies from what we can see so far are not too fond of digital distribution and are still using a older business mindset to rake in money. 

EDIT: Not to mention different countries have different rules and regulations for such things. 

Their mindset makes no sense to me. They don't advertise their product, or offer their service, and then assume that the target audience won't bite. They in my mind hinder their own growth in this manner.

I can use ISP's as an example. I only recently was able to upgrade my internet service to 10mbps, but for a few years before this could not get over 3mbps because, to quote the ISP, "not enough people live around there to justify what we would need to support a higher internet speed". I would argue that spending the damned money (of which they have plenty, they just aren't willing to spend it because they're greedy bastards) and putting in the service, would entice people to move to a more remote location like the area in which I live. To simplify, when I finally have the financial means to move away from my family, I will be looking for a remote location (I don't like cities for a variety of reasons) with good internet access. The issue is that most rural locations have little to no support for decent internet access. The result, is that I will end up moving to a good rural location that I like, and likely not having internet for a few years(because for me, a rural location is far more important than internet access which will always expand in the end), resulting in them not getting my money. Whereas if they just offered the support and waited (it's not like it costs them constant massive amounts of money to have a service that isn't being used in place and ready to go) they would end up getting more of my money (because I didn't have to wait 2 or 3 years for them to get their shit together), sooner. So in essence, by "saving money" they end up cutting themselves off from customers like myself, who may want to live in a rural area but still have high speed internet access. People will always flock to an area that has the best resources to them possible, if they quit limiting the area in which these services exist, they end up with a net gain, and happier customers, because they increase the amount of options available to the customers, and ultimately stimulating growth.

Granted my criteria for internet access and a rural location isn't necessarily representative of the entire market, merely an example of a problem that I see. I would posit that a current "lack of need" does not represent a permanent lack of need as some companies seem to think.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Their mindset makes no sense to me. They don't advertise their product, or offer their service, and then assume that the target audience won't bite. They in my mind hinder their own growth in this manner.

I can use ISP's as an example. I only recently was able to upgrade my internet service to 10mbps, but for a few years before this could not get over 3mbps because, to quote the ISP, "not enough people live around there to justify what we would need to support a higher internet speed". I would argue that spending the damned money (of which they have plenty, they just aren't willing to spend it because they're greedy bastards) and putting in the service, would entice people to move to a more remote location like the area in which I live. To simplify, when I finally have the financial means to move away from my family, I will be looking for a remote location (I don't like cities for a variety of reasons) with good internet access. The issue is that most rural locations have little to no support for decent internet access. The result, is that I will end up moving to a good rural location that I like, and likely not having internet for a few years, resulting in them not getting my money. Whereas if they just offered the support and waited (it's not like it costs them constant massive amounts of money to have a service that isn't being used in place and ready to go) they would end up getting more of my money (because I didn't have to wait 2 or 3 years for them to get their shit together), sooner. So in essence, by "saving money" they end up cutting themselves off from customers like myself, who may want to live in a rural area but still have high speed internet access. People will always flock to an area that has the best resources to them possible, if they quit limiting the area in which these services exist, they end up with a net gain, and happier customers, because they increase the amount of options available to the customers, and ultimately stimulating growth.

We can't accurately compare a ISP company to a company that makes entertainment media like Kyoto Animation. To many differences to cover. 

They don't want to grow the rural population, they don't care. ISP companies expect consistent grow every quarter because their shareholders/investors expect just that. The profit margin they'd receive in providing better service for a rural area pales in comparison to the larger cities where their service is over-utilized. It just doesn't make them the $ they want in return for the money they spend.  

They operate by pure statistics and profit margin history. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I think this has less to do with the fansubbers/scanterlisers and more to do with the people who TV/DVD/BD-rip and make the original scans. as for the argument of world wide availability look up the the Macross debacle caused by what looks like Apple's long lost brother Harmony Gold.

We can't accurately compare a ISP company to a company that makes entertainment media like Kyoto Animation. To many differences to cover. 

They don't want to grow the rural population, they don't care. ISP companies expect consistent grow every quarter because their shareholders/investors expect just that. The profit margin they'd receive in providing better service for a rural area pales in comparison to the larger cities where their service is over-utilized. It just doesn't make them the $ they want in return for the money they spend.  

They operate by pure statistics and profit margin history. 

I get these things, my point is that there might be an upsurge in rural growth if the services were already there. Instead of everyone crowding into cities because "that's where the services are"

Basically, that people only crowd into cities because "that's where the services are".

I get these things, my point is that there might be an upsurge in rural growth if the services were already there. Instead of everyone crowding into cities because "that's where the services are"

Their actions aren't retarded if all they look for is profit though. Their doing a pretty good job at curbing the market and ruining competition. 

Job opportunities and potential wealth in a area is what causes a upsurge in rural growth more than anything. Good service would in the end just have lots of 3rd party company servers set up in the area for business. 

Their actions aren't retarded if all they look for is profit though. Their doing a pretty good job at curbing the market and ruining competition. 

Job opportunities and potential wealth in a area is what causes a upsurge in rural growth more than anything. Good service would in the end just have lots of 3rd party company servers set up in the area for business. 

True enough, but I was only using ISP's as an example. I just think that by focusing on only their current profit margin, they end up handicapping themselves.

Then again, I'm the sort of person waiting for 3d printing and other forms of micro mass manufacturing to come along and render the entire idea of currency and economics obsolete (the Star Trek eventuality)

Here is a pretty interesting study made 3 years ago by the Research institute of Economy, Trade and Investitures in Japan.

Here is the conclusion (translated to English by SankakuComplex):

We compared the DVD sales, DVD rental sales, YouTube viewing numbers  and Winny download numbers of various anime titles.
Our results suggested the following:
1. YouTube viewing did not decrease DVD sales, but actually increased them. For each 1% increase in YouTube viewership a 0.25% increase in DVD sales was observed.

2. The effect of YouTube on sales was particularly pronounced in the case of shows which had finished airing on TV. We can think of this as people who never saw the broadcasts becoming fans by way of YouTube and then going on to buy the DVDs.

3. There is no clear effect on DVD rentals from YouTube. At the very least we can say it seems YouTube has no adverse effect on DVD rentals.

4. Winny file-sharing has no effect on DVD sales, but does appear to decrease DVD rentals. People who download anime via Winny appear to be using it not to replace their purchases, but to replace their rentals.

As YouTube is having no adverse affect on anime sales, but is in fact increasing them, further distribution on YouTube is likely desirable.

Copyright holders who dislike YouTube and persistently request their works to be deleted from YouTube are likely to be harming their own business.

As a result of these findings, we can probably conclude that banning downloads of such material is a mistaken policy.

So no... Illegal downloads and illegal streaming does not have a negative effect on anime. Can we please stop the stupid argument whether or not downloads are hurting the industry because all evidence points towards it being beneficial, not harmful?

Japanese people don't care. If they have access to their manga, that is all that really matters. This is more of a crackdown on people pirating in Japan. If there is a demand for anime outside of Japan, there will always be supply. No law can stop that.

This.

Stop worrying everyone. Pirates be pirates. There will always be pirated fansubbed anime available.

Here is a pretty interesting study made 3 years ago by the Research institute of Economy, Trade and Investitures in Japan.

Here is the conclusion (translated to English by SankakuComplex):

So no... Illegal downloads and illegal streaming does not have a negative effect on anime. Can we please stop the stupid argument whether or not downloads are hurting the industry because all evidence points towards it being beneficial, not harmful?

I think this statement is half true for good show it's beneficial for bad show it's not :P. But I agree with you pirating is not a bad thing at all if I wasn't able no pirate I would've never entered the anime community . But as it seems their goal is to denied japanese piracy so it is not harmful to us . anyway piracy is almost impossible to stop(with how the current internet work) .

you sir, made my day.

I just cannot wait until micro manufacturing brings down the entire paradigm of money and economics.

*reads headline*

*anime watching intensifies*

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

You're acting like it's impossible not to like Anime and Manga and that I've never tried to get into these. I watched High School of the Dead, Naruto and a couple of others and I just didn't got into them nor did I really enjoyed watching them. It's cool, when you guys like them, but don't act like I'm the spawn of satan if I don't. ;)

Haha, I'm not trying to act like you're the spawn of Satan. When I wrote whatever I wrote, it was late, and I was tired, and I probably could have worded it better.

Was just giving an example as to why people like anime. Of course some people won't like it, but I still say that everybody should give it a shot.

;)

COMIC SANS

They're going to be taking down all the websites every north American/European uses.

If crunchyroll was more crunchy and had more rolls, I don't think anyone would have any problem paying 6 bucks a month for it.

You're acting like it's impossible not to like Anime and Manga and that I've never tried to get into these. I watched High School of the Dead, Naruto and a couple of others and I just didn't got into them nor did I really enjoyed watching them. It's cool, when you guys like them, but don't act like I'm the spawn of satan if I don't. ;)

I'm going to get hated on for this, but a lot of anime like Naruto aren't particularly good (I say this as I was tricked into watching it. They said it would get better. 500 episodes in and it never did, but now I'm impelled to finish what I started).

<preach>

They have good moments, but they really fall hard in terms of pacing, extreme amounts of exposition, and just really being slow. There's also the cringeworthy moments when something really obvious gets revealed, and suddenly it cuts to a slow mo of every one's reaction as they gulp.

There's a lot of cool stuff out there though. Things like Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, and monster. I'd recommend checking them out if you plan on giving anime another chance.

CB - Bounty hunters in space. Great and natural character development.

E.P. - Darker, philosophical anime set in a dystopian sci fi

Monster - Great plot about a talented neurosurgeon and a psychopath.

<end preach/>

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I don't have easy access to them so I have to pirate my mango and animu.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Luckily I only watch Naruto, Bleach and Legend of Korra.

Naruto is ending and of Bleach they don't have a TV show anymore, just the manga. Legend of Korra is not from Japan.

Pfew, I am in the clear.

Luckily I only watch Naruto, Bleach and Legend of Korra.

Naruto is ending and of Bleach they don't have a TV show anymore, just the manga. Legend of Korra is not from Japan.

Pfew, I am in the clear.

Legend of Korra is pretty good :D

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

This move will only make sense IF the Japanese anime content creators are ready to create some sort of unified distribution method for all regions in the world. Some sort of Google Play store like application where users can pay (example $1.99 for SD or $2.99 for HD) and have most if not all new Animes available the same time it is aired in Japan. With the intention of having a subtitle-creator group that will sub the episodes by the time it is released.

If they don't take those necessary steps to create new infrastructure for Anime/Manga distribution, this is a wasted effort and will easily be bypassed by internet users. Frankly, the creation of content in the Anime industry is top-notch, but their management skills are horrid. Fix that, and it will eventually grow even bigger then it is now.

This won't stop pirates. Even native ones. New portals will open and we'll be back to square one.

UNLESS they make content easier to access in a legal fashion.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Legend of Korra is pretty good :D

Did you watch Legend of Aang first, or you just went straight to Korra? Just curious.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.