slow computer

da_wilks

my pc lately has been really slow, it started with my internet explorer not loading pages and taking years to every program going slow. any suggestions?

What are your specs?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

'Internet Explorer'

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @4.5GHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i - Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero - Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1600 - Storage: WD Green 2TB, 128GB Corsair Force Series SSD - Graphics Card: Asus MATRIX R9 280x OC Case: Corsair Graphite 600T - Power Supply: Be Quiet Power Zone 650W - Monitor: 2x Acer S240HLbid - Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) - Mouse: Perixx MX-2000 - Audio: Logitech G430, Logitech Z506

internet explorer 

200_s.gif

Go into your msconfig and disable any program you do not need on startup.

Use CCleaner.

Install Google Chrome to replace Internet Explorer.

Scan your entire computer for viruses.

cold snap, i have all programs i dont need disabled at startup, im using google chrome atm and CCleaner?......explain

cold snap, i have all programs i dont need disabled at startup, im using google chrome atm and CCleaner?......explain

Use the quote feature so he gets a notification. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Use CCleaner.

theres probably a few possibilities about this:

1. A Computer Virus
  2. Internet Explorer.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

my pc lately has been really slow, it started with my internet explorer not loading pages and taking years to every program going slow. any suggestions?

Please post your system specs... It might be the hardware...

Still... do these:

• Go download avast! free and do a boot scan
  • Get CCleaner and clean your system
  • run msconfig and under the startup tab, uncheck all the programs you don't need
  • run chkdsk C: /r once then defrag your HDD

You might get a minor boost...

theres probably a few possibilities about this:

1. A Computer Virus
  2. Internet Explorer.

what do you guys suggest to find the virus?.....trying to find a scanner online is like looking through black friday adds....

what do you guys suggest to find the virus?.....trying to find a scanner online is like looking through black friday adds....

McAfee Stinger or Avast! free works decent... both are free and only Avast needs to install....

Please post your system specs... It might be the hardware...

Still... do these:

• Go download avast! free and do a boot scan
  • Get CCleaner and clean your system
  • run msconfig and under the startup tab, uncheck all the programs you don't need
  • run chkdsk C: /r once then defrag your HDD

You might get a minor boost...

my specs are 3.8ghz quad core amd processor, asus raedon 7850 GC, 1tb hardrive, 650w power supply, msi motherboard not sure what model.

Malwarebytes.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

my specs are 3.8ghz quad core amd processor, asus raedon 7850 GC, 1tb hardrive, 650w power supply, msi motherboard not sure what model.

From the specs, the problem seems to be on the software side... What kind of "slow" are you experiencing? Slow boot? Input lags? Slow load times? Slow internet browsing?

From the specs, the problem seems to be on the software side... What kind of "slow" are you experiencing? Slow boot? Input lags? Slow load times? Slow internet browsing?

slow load times, everything use to load just great, but then it sloaded way down

Do a clean windows install. It will fix all your problems at once.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

slow load times, everything use to load just great, but then it sloaded way down

Most likely some fragmentation... Defrag your HDD... This takes around 45min to 8 hours and power failures are lethal... Run chkdsk C: /R first to see if you have any bad sectors on the disk, then run the windows disk defragmentation tool from the hard drive properties (under the tools tab)... After defragmentation, reboot your computer twice...

first step, install Mozilla Firefox. second step, run a virus scan. third step, run CCleaner. fourth step, defrag your HDD. fifth step, upgrade your components.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Install Malwarebytes, run it and remove viruses.

Then, get System Ninja. It's actually even better than CCleaner, which is overrated.

Lastly, get CCleaner AND CCEnhancer. It will make CCleaner really detailed and you can remove every possible crumb of crap.

I hate to burst your bubble guys, but the latest Internet Explorer version has really developed the GPU acceleration of the browser, and it's loading websites faster than chrome (everything is faster than chrome these days)

Microsoft added a ton of features to IE, and if you tinker with the latest version you'll understand it. I don't use IE as my main browser, yet I respect it as one.

Going back to the OP's problem, he probably has a lot of crap at the start, but cleaning registers, disabling programs and services on startup, defragmenting the hard drive and looking for malware may not all that is to it. While he should do it, and it will speed up his system, a hard drive failing can be the cause of the problem. Running software to check your hard drive's health, after doing everything that the guys already told you to, is very recommended.

For CCleaner, download and run the cleaner (Cleaner option). This will scan your computer for junk files and clear your browsing cache along with some other stuff.

A hard drive check like ForsakenLive has said is the next step if the problem persists.

none of you have suggested to look at the hard drive specs. I used to use a Seagate 160GB for OS drive and it would be so slow. Maybe he has an slow HDD. Since i moved to an SSD big loading times are a thing of the past. 

Also if by any chance u have an SSD then maybe you have too much stuff in it, I remember my Samsung 120GB SSD would slow down when i had like 20% space left.

Disabling start up programs, adding more ram, scanning for viruses and a clean install of windows can help. Obviously if you have an slow HDD then thats the issue. 

System #1
Intel i3 4170 3.7GHz, Gigabyte H81M-H, 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600, EVGA GTX 750 Ti, CoolerMaster Thermal Master case, Seagate 320GB HDD,  and 300watt PSU (salvage from old HP PC)

System #2
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz, MSI 990FXA-GD65, 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600, EVGA GTX 660 SC, Corsair 200R Windowed, Seagate 250GB HDD, EVGA 430watt PSU, and Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283

What are your specs?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Use CCleaner.

CCleaner works wonders if your computers running slow. i run it once a month. props to Cold Snap88!