Job Building computers?

Scratchy1215

So ive built computers for myself my dad brother and 3 of my brothers friends and have a few more im to build later on and i honestly love it. I would love a job doing this but dont know where to even look. Any ideas for me? Im only 18 so i can still find a school with enrollment but would like to just jump in.

You might be able to find something at places that build custom computers like digital storm but I wouldn't look at that as a long term position. Maybe try to be an engineer at Intel or something. 

But I'm 15. Not my field of expertise, at all. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

It's tough getting your foot in the door mate, i was in a similar boat since leaving college, and unless you have a friend, or friend of a friend working at for a computer shop you don't stand much of a chance getting your foot in that door. You can give it a try though. I was considering starting a laptop/desktop repair business but due to lack of funds/own transport i didn't go through with it.

Your best bet imo is getting into uni and studying network forensics or something of the sort.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

There's probably a similar thing you can do which would be to build custom computers for clients at like Micro Center or something, but really, you'll find out that there isn't much profit to be earned unless you like scam your buyers, like Dell :3.

You can try to become a computer designer for Dell, HP etc. They'd probably take people right outta college. 

First off - don't start by yourself. there is far too much risk and if you break a component, you could lose thousands of dollars.

If you know a friend or someone who works at a local PC repair shop, ask them if there are any job openings.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Launch your own business.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

So ive built computers for myself my dad brother and 3 of my brothers friends and have a few more im to build later on and i honestly love it. I would love a job doing this but dont know where to even look. Any ideas for me? Im only 18 so i can still find a school with enrollment but would like to just jump in.

never do something you really like as your job, its makes it less enjoyable. look how excited linus was for the last 3 or 4 big releases of cpus and gpu's. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

never do something you really like as your job, its makes it less enjoyable. look how excited linus was for the last 3 or 4 big releases of cpus and gpu's. 

The world of technology is constantly evolving and changing, how can you get sick of it. Plus if you do something that you truly enjoy, you wont work a day in your life.

The world of technology is constantly evolving and changing, how can you get sick of it. Do something that you truly enjoy doing, and you wont work a day in your life.

if only that was true.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

if only that was true.

I've been doing it for over 10 years and I haven't grew bored of it yet.

Well currently word of mouth in my area is getting me some people just, not making enough to support myself and in time i feel it will die down. There are a few pc repair shops in town that said theyre hiring and do training but after calling most they all say they want someone out of college even though all of there apps say no college needed. Im not one to go to a college and spend thousands of dollars on a degree i could get for free online, i self taught myself everything i know within a few months, im not saying i know everything about PCs but i know a hell of a lot. I just think college is a huge moneysink and waste of time for the benefit you MIGHT get. 40,000$ for a CHANCE at a job that could get me maybe 40,000 a year is just not me, especially when i could get a job making 100,000 right now working at a steel mill factory.

Step 1: Move to China

Step 2: Disguise yourself as 10 year old chinese girl

Step 3: "Apply" at Apple factory

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Step 1: Move to China

Step 2: Disguise yourself as 10 year old chinese girl

Step 3: "Apply" at Apple factory

Sounds like suicide to me lol...

OP find a part time job at some computer place, and go to college.

I've built at least 200+ computers when I worked as a full time employee at a local repair place. Its not a suitable long term job unless your working with some of the big name custom pc building companies.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I've built at least 200+ computers when I worked as a full time employee at a local repair place. Its not a suitable long term job unless your working with some of the big name custom pc building companies.

well idk about college, think steel company is best bet

well idk about college, think steel company is best bet

Hmm welding work or composite stuff?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Try a local tech store that builds computers or makes their own pre-built ones :)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It was more of a joke aimed apples expense for essentially using slave labor. Obviously

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The actual building of PCs is already very mechanised so anything that you could make a career out of is very niche. 

It was more of a joke aimed apples expense for essentially using slave labor. Obviously

I know I know I'm just screwing around

You might be able to find something at places that build custom computers like digital storm but I wouldn't look at that as a long term position. Maybe try to be an engineer at Intel or something. 

But I'm 15. Not my field of expertise, at all. 

Being an engineer at all is pretty hard to do, let alone getting a job at somewhere like Intel. 

There's probably a similar thing you can do which would be to build custom computers for clients at like Micro Center or something, but really, you'll find out that there isn't much profit to be earned unless you like scam your buyers, like Dell :3.

You can try to become a computer designer for Dell, HP etc. They'd probably take people right outta college. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVnl4HIHPY&list=UUmWNCO9wSjzOz1UV8jCvIHA

I'd recommend not doing that. These large companies take zero pride in their work.

I'd recommend not doing that. These large companies take zero pride in their work.

Yea, but at least they take pride in their money.

Its pointless if the money isn't yours. 

Considering its low grade assembly in those plants, I'm not so sure. They probably don't even get paid well considering someone didn't even have enough pride to snap in a sata cable properly. :P