Valve's Steam Controller now has a thumbstick

Dietrichw

I see the opposite. I dont see the point of SteamOS unless there is a SteamBox.

I can see SteamOS taking off, but maybe that's because I have a specific scenario in which it would be awesome...

I have a HTPC in my living room. It's actually a Mac Mini (yes, I know, Apple). The Mac Mini is perfect as an HTPC...but it would kick MORE ass if it ran SteamOS. Couple that with streaming from my main rig and it's an excellent setup.

Unfortunately, last time I tried, it wasn't playing well with Mac Mini's (yet). 

Plus, once it gets polished (if it gets polished) it would entice people like me who have been struggling with video driver issues to take the plunge and go Linux full time.

AMD drivers were an absolute joke when I tried linux last time. If Valve can push nvidia/AMD to step their game up and make decent drivers, it'd become a more viable alternative for gamers. 

I can see SteamOS taking off, but maybe that's because I have a specific scenario in which it would be awesome...

I have a HTPC in my living room. It's actually a Mac Mini (yes, I know, Apple). The Mac Mini is perfect as an HTPC...but it would kick MORE ass if it ran SteamOS. Couple that with streaming from my main rig and it's an excellent setup.

Unfortunately, last time I tried, it wasn't playing well with Mac Mini's (yet). 

Plus, once it gets polished (if it gets polished) it would entice people like me who have been struggling with video driver issues to take the plunge and go Linux full time.

AMD drivers were an absolute joke when I tried linux last time. If Valve can push nvidia/AMD to step their game up and make decent drivers, it'd become a more viable alternative for gamers.

If you did that though you would loose all HTPC functionality since i have seen nothing but music so far for SteamOS. At that point why not just run some version of linux?

If you did that though you would loose all HTPC functionality since i have seen nothing but music so far for SteamOS. At that point why not just run some version of linux?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's not there yet. If Valve can refine it and push the limits a little bit in terms of drivers, it'd be a no-brainer (free) operating system for gamers and HTPC users.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's not there yet. If Valve can refine it and push the limits a little bit in terms of drivers, it'd be a no-brainer (free) operating system for gamers and HTPC users.

yes I could see it then because that is exatly how I use my HTPC. Server, TV, Movies, Music, and Games. I can do all this in windows but its not at all elegant, not that I mind though since its all stuff i had and would have running any ways.

I honestly don't think the Steam Box will ever take off. I feel SteamOS has a lot more traction than a Steam console/controller would. 

I find it interesting that some of you are angry at Valve for redesigning the controller, but you openly admit you haven't used one in years. What difference does that make to you? You probably weren't their intended market and you weren't going to buy one anyway. 

I only care because Valve made it a specific requirement to have the controller in order to be labeled as a steam box, hence the controller can hold back releasing Steam OS and Steam boxes so endless redesigns worry me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I only care because Valve made it a specific requirement to have the controller in order to be labeled as a steam box, hence the controller can hold back releasing Steam OS and Steam boxes so endless redesigns worry me.

Okay fine...but you're ignoring my other part:

you aren't the intended market and you weren't going to buy one anyway...so why do you care? 

I personally hate the PS "Dual Shock" style of controller. In particular, the placement of the left thumbstick being in that low position drives me nuts. I find it incredibly uncomfortable and harder to control.

The XBox 360 controller, to me, was miles ahead in terms of comfort and usability. I agree, that I wish they'd placed the thumbstick above where the left touchpad currently is, and really, they could've put the left touchpad below where the D-PAD was.

I love the Xbox controller but the only thing I like is that the triggers pointed upwards at an angle, more than the PS4 triggers that I love.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Okay fine...but you're ignoring my other part:

you aren't the intended market and you weren't going to buy one anyway...so why do you care? 

That is true I much rather buy my own system. The answer is a bit more selfish then: I just want Steam OS as a distro to be ready.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I personally hate the PS "Dual Shock" style of controller. In particular, the placement of the left thumbstick being in that low position drives me nuts. I find it incredibly uncomfortable and harder to control.

The XBox 360 controller, to me, was miles ahead in terms of comfort and usability. I agree, that I wish they'd placed the thumbstick above where the left touchpad currently is, and really, they could've put the left touchpad below where the D-PAD was.

The Xbox 360 controller is the ultimate controller.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

The Xbox 360 controller is the ultimate controller.

I think razers second version of it one upped the standard design though. I cant wait for their version of the X1 controler. They already have a X1 fight stick.

I think razers second version of it one upped the standard design though. I cant wait for their version of the X1 controler. They already have a X1 fight stick.

Absolutely, but I was talking the originals....But you are right. Razers was really cool.

The 360 controller is to me far superior to the PS3....The new PS4 one seems even worse.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.