stainless steel in reservoirs?

can you put stainless steel in a res. instead of a normal steel coil to keep the water from growing stuff in the loop.? im asking because i have a blender bottle and the blenderball in the bottle is made from stainless steel. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Biofilm prevention is the microbial property of silver, not steel.

You can put in the loop the purest silver you can find to prevent growth, just like the Kill Coils sold on water cooling supplies stores.

The kill coil is not made of steel, it's made of pure silver.

But if you're asking about mixing metals, then I believe copper and stainless steel should be all right in a loop.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The kill coil is not made of steel, it's made of pure silver.

But if you're asking about mixing metals, then I believe copper and stainless steel should be all right in a loop.

oh you need to add copper to it too? but doesnt copper corrode easily?

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Haven't studied electrochemisty in some time, but if I remember correctly, chromium and copper will react. 

oh you need to add copper to it too? but doesnt copper corrode easily?

no I was talking about a copper radiator (most of them are) with the stainless steel within the same loop. (was thinking you were gonna have a stainless steel res)

btw copper doesn't rust, it can oxides though. (it creates a protective layer over the pure copper, thus changing the colour of it)

Having 2 different metals in a loop such as copper and aluminium will be bad, that's why people avoid mixing metals.

So just ignore what I said before, because I sort of thought you were going to have a stainless steel res (didn't really read your question properly)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

no I was talking about a copper radiator (most of them are) with the stainless steel within the same loop. (was thinking you were gonna have a stainless steel res)

btw copper doesn't rust, it can oxides though. (it creates a protective layer over the pure copper, thus changing the colour of it)

Having 2 different metals in a loop such as copper and aluminium will be bad, that's why people avoid mixing metals.

So just ignore what I said before, because I sort of thought you were going to have a stainless steel res (didn't really read your question properly)

i got mixed up in this steel, silver and copper mumbo jumbo. but yea oxidize is the word i was looking for. so instead of pure silver. i can add pure copper to a custom loop.?

i got mixed up in this steel, silver and copper mumbo jumbo. but yea oxidize is the word i was looking for. so instead of pure silver. i can add pure copper to a custom loop.?

adding copper won't do anything.

The only thing pure silver will do is stop algae from growing in your water loop.

The pure silver won't stop corrosion or oxidisation on any metals. (oxidisation on copper is fine btw)

All you have to do is make sure the metal parts in your loop are the same (copper rad, copper waterblock) and having acrylic waterblocks are fine. (nickel plated metal is also fine, such as nickel plated copper)

Just don't have aluminium in your loop. 

adding copper won't do anything.

The only thing pure silver will do is stop algae from growing in your water loop.

The pure silver won't stop corrosion or oxidisation on any metals. (oxidisation on copper is fine btw)

All you have to do is make sure the metal parts in your loop are the same (copper rad, copper waterblock) and having acrylic waterblocks are fine. (nickel plated metal is also fine, such as nickel plated copper)

Just don't have aluminium in your loop. 

thanks for all the info. i am gonna do a water loop in my system and all that you said really helped me out. thanks alot.