Origin download speeds insanely high?

orangecat

I have a 55 megabit connection now and I'm using it over wireless (I can get the full 55 over wifi) and I started downloading Titanfall today at about 4:30 and its been about 20 minutes and its nearly half done.

According to this chart it should take about 2 hours to download it and its been 20 or so minutes. Can someone tell me whats going on?

post-858-0-95081800-1405889477_thumb.png post-858-0-13671100-1405889555.png

40MB/s? Damn you. I max out at 2. Just be happy and enjoy the shhpeeeed. 

Normally I max out about 6-7 megabytes per second this is downloading really fast and I want to know why.

I have a 55 megabit connection now and I'm using it over wireless (I can get the full 55 over wifi) and I started downloading Titanfall today at about 4:30 and its been about 20 minutes and its nearly half done.

According to this chart it should take about 2 hours to download it and its been 20 or so minutes. Can someone tell me whats going on?

attachicon.giforigin titanfgall.PNG attachicon.gifsave.PNG

That chart is saying megabit per second not megabyte.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Origin compresses the files and then tells you the effective speed after they've been compressed.. It'll always report a higher number than what you're technically getting.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I know but on a 51 megabit connection with no overhead it shoudl take 2 hours.

Origin compresses the files and then tells you the effective speed after they've been compressed.. It'll always report a higher number than what you're technically getting.

How much is it compressed then because 51gb in 30 minutes is insane.

Yes, he knows that. 

Normally I max out about 6-7 megabytes per second this is downloading really fast and I want to know why.

Have you tried running a speed test (obviously without the download going)? Could just be that your speed overall has increased. But 40MB/s from a 51mb/s connection shouldn't be possible, unless your ISP has been lying to you. 

Yes, he knows that. 

Have you tried running a speed test (obviously without the download going)? Could just be that your speed overall has increased. But 40MB/s from a 51mb/s connection shouldn't be possible, unless your ISP has been lying to you. 

I have run a speed test before on my computer over wireless N @ 5.0Ghz and I can get up to 57mbps.

I believe it is 21GB compressed, so thats how much data you download.

You should be able to figure out the size based on your connection speed and how long it took.

I believe it is 21GB compressed, so thats how much data you download.

If it was compressed by 50% than it should have taken me an hour to download it and its been like 30 so far and its 90% done. Maybe origin is doing some kind of weird magic.

Evidently it compresses a lot..

If I remember correctly, Titanfall's audio files are completely uncompressed in the base game, so Origin would be able to save a ton of space by compressing them..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Ohhh, I wonder how fast BF3 will download on my dad's ~30Mbps wireless... And that's on my netbook, and it can't handle it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Evidently it compresses a lot..

If I remember correctly, Titanfall's audio files are completely uncompressed in the base game, so Origin would be able to save a ton of space by compressing them..

Correct, 30GB of audio files

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

OP got better speed than me :/akixm.jpg

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I had something similar happen to me when downloading Titanfall a couple of months ago

Titanfalldl.png

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I have 1.5 Mbits on good days :'(

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Mabye the progress bar is incorrect?

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

This happens to me as well. Also I get better speeds when downloading from steam. What I think it might be is that sometimes some ISP's allow for a more broader bandwidth for certain services. I remember a thread on this a while ago but something about some services will pay ISP's to deliver faster downloading speed when using their services. Again I could be wrong but this happens to me every time and I looooove it! I have a 30Mbps connection and I get around 5-6MBps download speed!