how to move installed ass programs

lastshot
Go to solution Solved by rashdanml,

Cut and paste it somewhere else, then re-launch the application using the .exe; most of the time, it'll work. 

Any files in %appdata% will remain there, but those don't usually eat up space.

Some applications dont let you choose where i want to install them and i dont want those dirty programs on my glorious ssd so how can i install them on my HDD legit?

>dirty programs

>>computer is run on one massive 'program'

ah, yes, I see.

Being realistic, you could determine where it's going to install it then symlink it to a folder on your other drive.

I like ass programs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

>dirty programs

>>computer is run on one massive 'program'

ah, yes, I see.

Being realistic, you could determine where it's going to install it then symlink it to a folder on your other drive.

So there is no way to move the files of the application and tell windows that its installed here now?

post is fixed sir

So there is no way to move the files of the application and tell windows that its installed here now?

post is fixed sir

Eh, there is, but it tends to be painful, long processes and often registry edits. You're probably better off just symlinking, if you want to avoid a messy registry.

Eh, there is, but it tends to be painful, long processes and often registry edits. You're probably better off just symlinking, if you want to avoid a messy registry.

Can we sue the application creators that dont let us change the install path? /s

Can we sue the application creators that dont let us change the install path? /s

Eh, in some universe, yeah.

Cut and paste it somewhere else, then re-launch the application using the .exe; most of the time, it'll work. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Doesn't update Windows extension association, and more often than not, files need to access other files, and they use %appinstalldir%\, which doesn't get updated past installation. Hardly an ideal way to do things.

Doesn't update Windows extension association, and more often than not, files need to access other files, and they use %appinstalldir%\, which doesn't get updated past installation. Hardly an ideal way to do things.

-shrug-

Could always go into the registry and manually edit them. I've done that too, on occasion. 

Very few programs have forced itself onto my SSD though, almost all of them can be set to install elsewhere. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

When you install a software click in the setup click on Advance/Custom. They all have the option (beside Chrome, because its Google). Doing so, allows you to select the drive where your programs will be installed.

In my case I run on 2 partition. C and D.

C is where I have Windows and everything related to it. And D:\ is where I put my files, and programs.

I do this so that when I need to re-install Windows in the case of anything unexpected, I can just do so, without worrying of backing up anything, and most programs will run again, and re-configure themselves with the system without re-installing them. Great for emergencies, lets say during my school semester, where I don't have time.

-shrug-

Could always go into the registry and manually edit them. I've done that too, on occasion. 

Very few programs have forced itself onto my SSD though, almost all of them can be set to install elsewhere.

Or you can just use Defaults Programs panel if you don't want to break your head, just saying.