Sony forgets to renew domain...Most of its games go offline

nicehat

Sony-Online-Entertainment-Logo-670x420.j

"www.sonyonline.net." is a very important domain for SOE. Apparently, most – if not all of – Sony Online Entertainment games, web sites and forums have been have become inaccessible for a while yesterday after the company "forgot" to renew the domain name registration of some of its main servers and after 7 weeks of non-payment, Network Solutions reclaimed the domain.

After failing to connect to games such as Everquest and Planetside 2, players who tried to get help through the company's forums were surprised to find that the forums themselves were inaccessible as well.

The company's president, John Smedley acknowledged the problem and admitted that they have received several expiration notice emails but they were all directed to an "unread address."

Sony discovered the problem and reclaimed its domain name shortly after its services went offline. It might take up to 48 hours for the connection problem to be fixed for some users.

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/18/332498727/the-last-word-in-business

http://eq2wire.com/2014/07/15/sonyonline-net-domain-expires-shenanigans-ensue-for-all-soe-games-websites/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Surely they have a bloke for that.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I wonder what would happen if they decided to not sell it back.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Kinda surprised someone didn't see that and purchase the domain for themselves. I sure would, and let them buy it from me for a loooooooooooooooooooooooot of money.

Well, that's interesting. So bigass companies forget bills too. Heads are going to fall I'm afraid.

Part of me hopes that doesn't happen because I would feel bad for all ps users, but the other part wants to find out what would happen so badly ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Really? Surely they have enough money to pay for their website domain...

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

A big legal battle and many pissed of sony customers I suspect, I would imagine sony would create a new domain for the interim and it would probably take about a week to get most people moved across.

I can't (actually can but it's rare) believe a company that size can make such an obvious mistake/oversight. 

Really? Surely they have enough money to pay for their website domain...

I would be surprised if the unread email account is an excuse becasue they couldn't pay the bill, especially seeing as they paid it up the second they discovered the problem.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"www.sonyonline.net." is a very important domain for SOE. Apparently, most – if not all of – Sony Online Entertainment games, web sites and forums have been have become inaccessible for a while yesterday after the company "forgot" to renew the domain name registration of some of its main servers and after 7 weeks of non-payment, Network Solutions reclaimed the domain.

After failing to connect to games such as Everquest and Planetside 2, players who tried to get help through the company's forums were surprised to find that the forums themselves were inaccessible as well.

The company's president, John Smedley acknowledged the problem and admitted that they have received several expiration notice emails but they were all directed to an "unread address."

Sony discovered the problem and reclaimed its domain name shortly after its services went offline. It might take up to 48 hours for the connection problem to be fixed for some users.

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/18/332498727/the-last-word-in-business

http://eq2wire.com/2014/07/15/sonyonline-net-domain-expires-shenanigans-ensue-for-all-soe-games-websites/

I can go into Planetside 2 whenever I wan't without fails?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

A big legal battle and many pissed of sony customers I suspect, I would imagine sony would create a new domain for the interim and it would probably take about a week to get most people moved across.

I can't (actually can but it's rare) believe a company that size can make such an obvious mistake/oversight. 

I would be surprised if the unread email account is an excuse becasue they couldn't pay the bill, especially seeing as they paid it up the second they discovered the problem.

Yeah. It's just weird that it got to the point where it got shutdown.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Yeah. It's just weird that it got to the point where it got shutdown.

I know, but I guess law of averages says it has to happen at least once.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well... Seems to be working now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The ultimate form of YOU HAD ONE JOB

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Whoever got the domain next would have been rich AF

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Just SOE being incompetent as usual.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.