What kind of speed do i need for gaming?

WaspishVyper

So what kind of speed do I need for to play online, because my internet is really slow compared to my friends who all have like 10 MB/s, where i have 60 kB/s on my broadband or between 200 and 300 kB/s if I run off my phone, is that enough. BTW I have no download limits on my phone so that isnt a problem.

Don't try and play online with tethered 3G/4G connection. Not a good idea by any means and won't be enjoyable.

Get yourself a stable home internet connection.

The most important aspect with online gaming is your ping. Ping is the latency created between an action you see on screen and the server registering it. The higher ping the more lag and unplayable games will be.

Check your ping using both your phone and home internet at http://pingtest.net/ It will also rate your connection telling you if what to expect while gaming.

You can also check your speed at http://speedtest.net/

Remember when searching for a game server to join, always choose one close to home with the lowest ping possible.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Don't try and play online with tethered 3G/4G connection. Not a good idea by any means and won't be enjoyable.

Get yourself a stable home internet connection.

Its not possible because we have to dig up someone elses property to get a better line in cause the one we have is pretty crappy, the only other solution I can think of is buy a decent router but i can't see much of a difference tbh. Thanks anyway

The most important aspect with online gaming is your ping. Ping is the latency created between an action you see on screen and the server registering it. The higher ping the more lag and unplayable games will be.

Check your ping using both your phone and home internet at http://pingtest.net/ It will also rate your connection telling you if what to expect while gaming.

You can also check your speed at http://speedtest.net/

Remember when searching for a game server to join, always choose one close to home with the lowest ping possible.

Thanks for the links, tested with with both and results are below, I guess my phone should be ok but not great from what the results say.

Home

2436957486.png

Phone

340241903.png

Corsair 500r White - Sabertooth 990FX - FX8150 @ 4.6Ghz - Gskill Sniper 1866 - XFX Double D 7970

Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty - OCZ Vertex3 120GB - WD Black 2TB - Ultra X4 Modular 850w PSU

You could just try an online game so see how it goes. Won't you go through data like crazy though using that? And your latency in a game will likely be higher than those tests.

You could just try an online game so see how it goes. Won't you go through data like crazy though using that? And your latency in a game will likely be higher than those tests.
I have unlimited data so it's not a problem.

anything in the counter-strike series is really optimized for slow internet.

Weird I've found cs horrible when playing with a high ping.

Weird I've found cs horrible when playing with a high ping.

You don't need a high bandwidth for Source games, but a low ping is very important.

OP, I never thought I'd say this, but your phone looks like a much better candidate for gaming than your home connection (which there is something seriously wrong with, as you thought). You generally want to stay under 100 ping for anything reasonably fast-paced (obviously lower is better - under 50 is highly preferred), but your phone is certainly "usable".

Best of luck!

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

For smooth gaming 1-2M internet is pretty much what you need. When you are using slower speeds connections should be constant at all times. Thats why 3G/4G is not recommended. Same goes with older wlan systems. Most online games need constant connection and check it all the time. Even sec lost in connection will be noticable. If you can get dl speed around 80kts you should be able to play online. But it means high pings and lag most definetly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Raw speed is not really that important.

What matters is the ping, but with that results, you need to fix your line / get a decent connection.