Which OS for a gaming HTPC?

Silmano

I will be building a new gaming HTPC (specs on my sig) and I was wondering if installing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. The PC will be mainly used with XBMC and Steam, as well as a couple Non-Steam games and maybe some emulator. I'm also thinking of buying the wireless adapter that lets you use the XBOX360 gamepads in Windows. Also I would like to use my Logitech Harmony 350 as remote.

Is the jump from 7 to 8.1 worth it or its better to just keep 7 a little longer?

On a side note, I have a spare Windows 7 Pro license but I don't have any Windows 8 (so if I upgrade, I will need to buy one)

Weeell, Windows 8.1 costs like 15$, so upgrading is not that expensive. 

You'll be able to squeeze out a few fps in most games, especially CPU-intensive ones will run better (max 10-15 fps more).

I've also had my problems with it though, it's a bit more bitchy than Windows 7. 

Personally, if I'd mostly use the machine for games, I think it's worth upgrading for that price. 

Win8 if you actually want to use the native UI, otherwise win7 with aero disabled will run great.

Weeell, Windows 8.1 costs like 15$, so upgrading is not that expensive. 

Where do you get Windows 8.1 for that price? I've seen the home edition for 89€ and the pro for 125€ but not much less...

Win8 if you actually want to use the native UI, otherwise win7 with aero disabled will run great.

Do you know if the Metro UI works with a remote controler or is a mouse needed?

Where do you get Windows 8.1 for that price? I've seen the home edition for 89€ and the pro for 125€ but not much less...

https://www.g2a.com/

Do you know if the Metro UI works with a remote controler or is a mouse needed?

Not 100%, may need helper programs for gamepads/remotes.

Google will be your friend :)